Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times

Advertisements

I meant to post this some time back...and now I wasn't even sure what my title should be on this post???

Anywho...my DH's family is from Portland, so my MIL has been sending us newspaper clippings of a 4 part series The OREGONIAN has ran (having to do with many of the employees making life changing decisions).

After reading the various articles...there were a couple of things that stood out to me:

#1 Some of the folks from Portland that came out to see the area for themselves were impressed with the way folks wave to each other here.

#2 (now this one hurts a little) When referring to Fort Mill the best they could come up with..was: Heritage USA, the Christian amusement park founded by televangelists Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, no longer exists.

But with all that has been said and done...it does make for interesting reading (to see the viewpoints of others and how they see us).

Here is the link if interested: OregonLive.com: Everything Oregon

SO for any of you out there getting ready to move to our little piece of heaven on earth "WELCOME"!!

p.s. and whatever you do...don't let my MIL know that I can view The OREGONIAN online..as she still likes to mail us stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 AM

622 posts, read 1,783,306 times
Default Freightliner Reaction

My wife and I (both realtors) had the opportunity to introduce 3 freightliner couples to our area. It was a great experience and allowed us to "show off" the diversity of the area and the many choices they would have.
When we met them at the hotel it was obvious that they were apprehensive, scared, skeptical (would our realtor guides be pushing us to buy a home), and yet, somewhat excited.
Previous to their visit we had gotten them to agree that we would not spend our time looking at individual houses, but concentrate on communities and different areas convenient to there temporary quarters (Fort mill) and their permanent quarters (Lake Wylie).
Prior to their visit, we went to each new home development that they expressed an interest in. We explained to the resident agents that they would not be making a decision on purchase until the March-April timeframe and we needed them to only present the benefits of the community and surrounding area.

The Results:
1. The subdivision agents were fabulous. They met the criteria we asked for and the couples walked away with a wealth of information. They also walked away with information on pricing and floorplans.
2. We were picking up a brochure for a resale home and the owner was outside. I explained that they would not be purchasing for months and they were relocating with Freightliner. She invited them into her home and gave a fantastic overview of what the lifestyle and amenities in the area provided. The first question they asked: "Are most people in the area as friendly and outgoing?" Our answer, "YES".
3. They learned more about the area in 9 hours than my wife and I did in our first year.
4. We covered a complete circle of Lake Wylie from the Buster Boyd Bridge to the southern part of the lake.

The 3 things that impressed them the most:
1. THE PEOPLE. Everyone they had a contact with (from the time they got off the plane and until they boarded for the trip home) could not have been more welcoming and generous.
2. THE CLEANLINESS AND PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP IN THE AREAS WE VISITED.
3. THE MANY CHOICES AVAILABLE TO THEM IN THE HOUSING AND AREAS TO LIVE IN.

When they were leaving we gave them the info on accessing city-data and the benefits it provides. My wife and I want to personally thak the contributors to the forum and to the many people who personally interacted with our visitors from Freightliner. Thanks to you the only emotion they left with was excitement

Old 02-13-2008, 11:08 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
My wife and I (both realtors) had the opportunity to introduce 3 freightliner couples to our area. It was a great experience and allowed us to "show off" the diversity of the area and the many choices they would have.
When we met them at the hotel it was obvious that they were apprehensive, scared, skeptical (would our realtor guides be pushing us to buy a home), and yet, somewhat excited.
Previous to their visit we had gotten them to agree that we would not spend our time looking at individual houses, but concentrate on communities and different areas convenient to there temporary quarters (Fort mill) and their permanent quarters (Lake Wylie).
Prior to their visit, we went to each new home development that they expressed an interest in. We explained to the resident agents that they would not be making a decision on purchase until the March-April timeframe and we needed them to only present the benefits of the community and surrounding area.

The Results:
1. The subdivision agents were fabulous. They met the criteria we asked for and the couples walked away with a wealth of information. They also walked away with information on pricing and floorplans.
2. We were picking up a brochure for a resale home and the owner was outside. I explained that they would not be purchasing for months and they were relocating with Freightliner. She invited them into her home and gave a fantastic overview of what the lifestyle and amenities in the area provided. The first question they asked: "Are most people in the area as friendly and outgoing?" Our answer, "YES".
3. They learned more about the area in 9 hours than my wife and I did in our first year.
4. We covered a complete circle of Lake Wylie from the Buster Boyd Bridge to the southern part of the lake.

The 3 things that impressed them the most:
1. THE PEOPLE. Everyone they had a contact with (from the time they got off the plane and until they boarded for the trip home) could not have been more welcoming and generous.
2. THE CLEANLINESS AND PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP IN THE AREAS WE VISITED.
3. THE MANY CHOICES AVAILABLE TO THEM IN THE HOUSING AND AREAS TO LIVE IN.

When they were leaving we gave them the info on accessing city-data and the benefits it provides. My wife and I want to personally thak the contributors to the forum and to the many people who personally interacted with our visitors from Freightliner. Thanks to you the only emotion they left with was excitement
Thanks for sharing Belmarin....I know the folks around here play a big part on why I am so proud to call York County home.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:22 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
lovetc - did you post this on the Oregon thread? We should invite them to check out some of the threads/posts we have here...straight from the horses' mouths so to speak!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 PM

56 posts, read 135,372 times
Default Lost jobs in the carolina's

Well you forgot to mention that york county is experiencing a very high crime rate. hummm it could be because of many company's such as freightliner that has moved to places like mexico and china and many people cant find a job because there are so few here. And dont say that it is a unions fault. how can you explaine why textiles and low paying jobs have gone also to mexico and china. Nothing wrong about people from other states moving here but when they bring big money to the area it tends to drive up prices on everything so the ones here that was not as lucky to have great paying jobs tend to suffer.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:11 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbee01 View Post
Well you forgot to mention that york county is experiencing a very high crime rate. hummm it could be because of many company's such as freightliner that has moved to places like mexico and china and many people cant find a job because there are so few here. And dont say that it is a unions fault. how can you explaine why textiles and low paying jobs have gone also to mexico and china. Nothing wrong about people from other states moving here but when they bring big money to the area it tends to drive up prices on everything so the ones here that was not as lucky to have great paying jobs tend to suffer.
An international company brings 350 very good paying jobs to York County, of which about 250 are filled by locals, and they have possible plans to move their headquarters here, and they're the bad guys??? I think you're anger is a bit misguided....

Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 AM

225 posts, read 689,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
An international company brings 350 very good paying jobs to York County, of which about 250 are filled by locals, and they have possible plans to move their headquarters here, and they're the bad guys??? I think you're anger is a bit misguided....
I agree with BKQC, a company that brings growth and opportunity for jobs, is a plus in my book. If the property value goes up that mean your investment in your home, also goes up. The other part is that in this county, the government squeezes the commercial companies for education needs and lessens the burden for the residents. IMO, I think it is a great. When wall street is shaking weather it will tank or not, it is good to see that in rural America we still see companies wanting to open up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Thanks for sharing Belmarin....I know the folks around here play a big part on why I am so proud to call York County home.
I totally agree with you lovethecarolinas. The people are what make this area over the top. Living in New York, for so many years, you learn to appreciate the warmth of this place. Good point.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 AM

your the one that's misguided! this company as sent thousands of jobs to mexico. The jobs in york county are not new but being moved from one state to another in order to create higher profits for its investors.Daimler AG a German company owns Freightliner. Daimler's investors are many groups including an Arab firm who is pushing for more profits. Read this article what Roger Nielsen COO of Freightliner said about americans and its goverment while in mexico, praising the Mexican goverment and its workers.
[SIZE=2]NORTH AMERICAN REPORTS -- Site Selection magazine, September 2007 this is just one statement!!

[/SIZE]
"In our experience, there is a big gap between the skills of the American and the Mexican government and economic development officials we've dealt with in being able to attract business," says Nielsen. "The Mexicans are more focused and professional, from the President of Mexico on down. We have met with the President [Felipe Calderon] a couple of times. His goal is to create jobs for his citizens. You don't see that as the primary goal of the [U.S.] states."
In contrast to what he sees as a lack of in-depth knowledge among some U.S. economic developers of what businesses are doing and needing in their states, Nielsen cites the positive and multifaceted support he saw from the four Mexican states he visited in selecting this site: Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, Chihuahua and Coahuila.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbee01 View Post
your the one that's misguided! this company as sent thousands of jobs to mexico. The jobs in york county are not new but being moved from one state to another in order to create higher profits for its investors.Daimler AG a German company owns Freightliner. Daimler's investors are many groups including an Arab firm who is pushing for more profits. Read this article what Roger Nielsen COO of Freightliner said about americans and its goverment while in mexico, praising the Mexican goverment and its workers.
[SIZE=2]NORTH AMERICAN REPORTS -- Site Selection magazine, September 2007 this is just one statement!!

[/SIZE]
"In our experience, there is a big gap between the skills of the American and the Mexican government and economic development officials we've dealt with in being able to attract business," says Nielsen. "The Mexicans are more focused and professional, from the President of Mexico on down. We have met with the President [Felipe Calderon] a couple of times. His goal is to create jobs for his citizens. You don't see that as the primary goal of the [U.S.] states."
In contrast to what he sees as a lack of in-depth knowledge among some U.S. economic developers of what businesses are doing and needing in their states, Nielsen cites the positive and multifaceted support he saw from the four Mexican states he visited in selecting this site: Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, Chihuahua and Coahuila.

Oh no, higher profits for investors! What is this private business thinking??? Gasp, a German company with an Arab investor that wants higher profits? How dare them.... I'm not sure what line of work you're in, but most private companies have the same goals.

I honestly don't see a problem with the quote. The COO is comparing the US and Mexican government and economic development officials ability to attract businesses. Sounds like the Mexicans did a better job than the American officials. Hopefully the Americans learn from the experience and improve in attracting and retaining businesses.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:53 PM

you probably dont see anything wrong with the stock market either!! thats what is wrong with this country today! Thieves want a quick profit also with little regards to whom they hurt!! just like big business.Higher profits are ok but at what expense! What justifys higher profits when you destroy the earnings of people who have worked very hard for their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties