Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:46 AM

425 posts, read 1,571,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2three View Post
Wow thats home looks really nice! It's huge. Thanks for sharing with me.
I can see now there is alot to choose from. Housing prices are great in the south we are from CT and a house like that would easily be $600,000.(maybe more)
We came from Pa and I say the same thing about house sizes and prices all the time. I happen to live only a few houses away from that one so UI can tell you there are LOTS of kids on our street. My youngest is also 4.5 and will be headed to K next year . There is a family with two boys across the street and tons more kids all around.

When are you planning on moving ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 10:46 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,266,956 times
Fairlawn has three homes for sale

Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 AM

146 posts, read 572,669 times
I live in The Landing in Lake Wylie. You can view houses for sale on our community website: www.thelandingonlakewylie.com
Most houses do have 1/2 acre but they might be out of your range. Lowest one on the market is $395k and it has a pool.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 AM

11 posts, read 35,130 times
not moving until at Christmas but may buy ahead.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:51 PM

425 posts, read 1,571,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2three View Post
not moving until at Christmas but may buy ahead.
I actually just drove by the home I posted about and I don't think it would be what you are looking for as far as playing yard space. Other homes even those with only .37 or just under the .5 may give you more actual playing space. We are coming from 24 acres and have 4 small kids so I totally know about wanting outside playing space. In many communities you may have only some much land but it may back up to dedicated open space. On my side of the street we have the sidewalk and the back yard which leads to the walking trail and open space. It certainly feels bigger then what I thought .37 would feel like.

Good luck on your move.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 7,176 times
Default neighborhood

Could anyone give me some information about the neighborhood around Bradley Street in Rock Hill? I am interested in a rental located on Bradley Street.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:29 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
There is a minor... well depends on one's idea of minor problem on Campbell Road right now. There is a contaminated industrial site on Campbell Road. DHEC held community meetings with over a 100 Campbell Rd neighbors attending. Both deep and shallow groundwater have been contaminated, as well as soil under the building, according to DHEC project manager Angie Jones. DHEC called the meeting to discuss the clean-up of hazardous chromium, which is isolated to the former industry's property.

Hexavalent chromium is toxic. It is a carcinogen, and chronic exposure to it can cause permanent eye injury, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration Web site.

One of our neighbors attended the last meeting and Tom Smith our York County Council Rep was there too. DHEC wants to just leave it alone .... BUT the people attending the meeting wants it cleaned up. If it spreads it will contaminate all the groundwater. Even though the site is closed the company is still a world wide company and has the money and should be required to clean up their toxic mess.

Campbell Crossing is a beautiful development but it is near the industrial site with the problem on Campbell Road.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:44 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,266,956 times
Is there area on water supply wells versus city or county water.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:47 PM

11 posts, read 35,130 times
thanks for info. I guess that's why people are moving out of the area!!
Thanks so much. This site is great.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
There is a minor... well depends on one's idea of minor problem on Campbell Road right now. There is a contaminated industrial site on Campbell Road. DHEC held community meetings with over a 100 Campbell Rd neighbors attending. Both deep and shallow groundwater have been contaminated, as well as soil under the building, according to DHEC project manager Angie Jones. DHEC called the meeting to discuss the clean-up of hazardous chromium, which is isolated to the former industry's property.

Hexavalent chromium is toxic. It is a carcinogen, and chronic exposure to it can cause permanent eye injury, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration Web site.

One of our neighbors attended the last meeting and Tom Smith our York County Council Rep was there too. DHEC wants to just leave it alone .... BUT the people attending the meeting wants it cleaned up. If it spreads it will contaminate all the groundwater. Even though the site is closed the company is still a world wide company and has the money and should be required to clean up their toxic mess.

Campbell Crossing is a beautiful development but it is near the industrial site with the problem on Campbell Road.
I can appreciate wanting to help people by informing them about the cleanup site on Campbell road . . . here is some additional information (posted in another thread as well).

I live on Campbell road and here are the facts and what you should know about this site (I attended the public meetings and so have been briefed by DHEC on the situation).

The site is roughly 5 acres in size and the contamination is contained to the site - there have been NO elevated levels of chromium detected at any of the off-site monitoring wells since DHEC started monitoring them in the 90's. If I remember correctly they monitor the on-site wells quarterly and the off-site wells at least yearly (they may be quarterly as well can't remember for sure). I live 1.3 miles away from the site on Campbell road and was concerned initially at the meeting . . . until a guy, probably in his mid 70's stood up and introduced himself as the guy who lives *right across the street* from the chromium site (literally). He mentioned that he'd owned his farm across the street since *before* the factory was built in the 50's and he's lived there ever since so he pre-dates the site! He was of course one of the monitoring wells that DHEC was testing frequently and he has never had chromium detected in *his* well and he seemed in quite good health for his age!

I also recently had my water tested just for peace of mind. The tests came back as <.005mg/L which basically means they didn't detect anything.

In case you are curious you can see the EPA standard for acceptable levels of Chromium here:
http://www.epa.gov/safewater/contaminants/index.html (you can see the acceptable level is .1mg/L so we are a couple orders of magnitude below that).

One final point that was mentioned at the meetings. The under ground water tables flow towards the lake (Lake Wylie) and away from all of the closest neighborhoods (Vander Lakes and Campbells Crossing) so even if the chromium should for some reason make it into the local water supply after all these decades - it would conceivably flow towards Lake Wylie (which is about 1.5 miles - 2 miles away from the site) and away from the neighborhoods which are upstream from the site and farther away from the lake.

The net net here is - there is no risk to Vander Lakes or Campbells Crossing home owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties