Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:52 PM

20 posts, read 92,352 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Rock Hill area in August with Daimler/Freightliner. We are in are late 30's, childless with pets. We are looking for a pet friendly neighborhood, privacy fences allowed, easy commute to Ft. Mill and Lake Wylie with homes between 170 and 225k. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 31,545 times
take a look at Clairemont off HWY 160. There are a few homes in that price range, and you can have privacy fences (shadowbox, split rail, aluminum). The lot sizes are larger here than in most others we looked at, and a large 30 something population (with kids, or without). This neighborhood is very close to the NC/SC stateline, new schools, etc. Taxes are cheaper in Lancaster County than in York (at least when we made our comparisons). There is one I know of that had been on the market for over a year due to a divorce holding up the price change to market conditions. Not sure if it will go lower, but very nice house, just needs a fence! One of the two turned down an offer of $225K last year in hopes of getting more from the sale...I think it's listed at $235 now, but can't imagine $10K would hold them back (due to time it's been on the market).

there are also two automotive companies right down the street that may be an option later on if the move is not what you were looking for with Daimler. BMB Steering and Continental Tire is building now. We had heard a few more are also looking to go into that park.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM

174 posts, read 732,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxqt View Post
My boyfriend and I will be moving to Rock Hill area in August with Daimler/Freightliner. We are in are late 30's, childless with pets. We are looking for a pet friendly neighborhood, privacy fences allowed, easy commute to Ft. Mill and Lake Wylie with homes between 170 and 225k. Any suggestions?

You guys should check out our neighborhood on Lake Wylie in Rock Hill, an easy drive from where you guys will be working at Freightliner. Here's the website...index.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I am NOT looking for a realtor, I'm just wanting some input from actual residents. Thank you

Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
I'm Not a Realtor...and as far as I know...the folks that have posted on this thread with suggestions for you....are not realtors as well (...just wondering are you getting hit up thru the DM's by realtors? )

Anywho...welcome to the area...and you would think it was the second coming around here as I pass the new developments that have welcome signs in front for the Frieghtliner employees!

You are pretty much open on where you can look...within your price range, etc. If you are set on Rock Hill...you might just want to look at lukepokes suggestion (especially if you like lake living). Just keep in mind the more rural you are (greather distance away from Charlotte, NC) your money will go farther...and many times the farther away from the lake the cheaper it will be as well. In regard to Indian Land..while it may not be a bad commute now as the temporary location is located in Fort Mill....once it moves to it's permenant location in Lake Wylie/Clover, SC...that would be a heck of a commute.

Again welcome and best of luck to you!....oh and get ready to pump your own gas!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 AM

24 posts, read 77,051 times
I had a friend looking for a home that allowed privacy fencing (different area of SC). The problem she ran into was that most subdivisions would not allow a true privacy fence (I guess it was due to the small lot size). She finally had to settle for an area that allowed "good neighbor" fencing. Instead of the boards next to each other, they were on alternate sides of the rail and had to have a gap between the slats.
If a "good neighbor" fence will work, I am sure that there will be greater opportunities. If you do not get responses from people who live in the area with the criteria you are seeking, unfortunately you will have to check each communities restrictions.
As my friend had a rotweiller, she was also not allowed into certain subdivisions.
Hopefully someone will have the information you are looking for, as it took quite a while for her to find a home.
Good luck with your search, and welcome to the Carolinas.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I'm Not a Realtor...and as far as I know...the folks that have posted on this thread with suggestions for you....are not realtors as well (...just wondering are you getting hit up thru the DM's by realtors? )

Anywho...welcome to the area...and you would think it was the second coming around here as I pass the new developments that have welcome signs in front for the Frieghtliner employees!

You are pretty much open on where you can look...within your price range, etc. If you are set on Rock Hill...you might just want to look at lukepokes suggestion (especially if you like lake living). Just keep in mind the more rural you are (greather distance away from Charlotte, NC) your money will go farther...and many times the farther away from the lake the cheaper it will be as well. In regard to Indian Land..while it may not be a bad commute now as the temporary location is located in Fort Mill....once it moves to it's permenant location in Lake Wylie/Clover, SC...that would be a heck of a commute.

Again welcome and best of luck to you!....oh and get ready to pump your own gas!
Thanks for the information! I had a few realtors contact me privately, which is why I posted the second posting. We are looking forward to something a bit more rural since we are coming from Portland and want a little change. Can't wait to get there!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:07 PM

174 posts, read 732,980 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information! I had a few realtors contact me privately, which is why I posted the second posting. We are looking forward to something a bit more rural since we are coming from Portland and want a little change. Can't wait to get there!

You guys should really like the area. I look forward to the Freightliner folks coming to town. I might eventually look into employment with Freightliner...I am in Safety and Environmental program management.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukepoke View Post
You guys should really like the area. I look forward to the Freightliner folks coming to town. I might eventually look into employment with Freightliner...I am in Safety and Environmental program management.
They just had a job fair on March 3 and 4 in Rock Hill. It was a pretty neat event. Very informative. Employees were very nice and helpful. Their website has all the Fort Mill job listings up. Also, they go by Daimler Trucks North America now rather than Freightliner.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:20 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
Quote:

If at all feasible...if you could rent for awhile...then that would give you a chance to become more familiar with the area...prior to purchasing.

It doesn't take that long of a drive to get pretty rural out here...your definition (coming from Portland)...may be different than out this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties