Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,229 times

Advertisements

My son and his grandparents had the pork on Sunday and they were all fine, thank goodness! I think trichinosis is a little more serious than your basic food bacteria, so I am doubting it is that (but I could be wrong).

I dunno, while I think that whoever is supervising these things should be more careful, this can very easily happen with this type of function no matter how well trained they might be. Trying to serve that many people as quickly as possible makes it very difficult to keep food at a controlled temperature.

I wonder if it affected people who got the food later in the day perhaps? I'll have to find out what time they picked up their plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM

146 posts, read 451,712 times
WOW! I hope everyone is feeling better!!!! We ended up having family in at the last minute and never made it down on Sunday. I was bummed at the time and GRATEFUL now!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:48 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I hope you are all feeling better today! It's so sad to hear that this had to happen to the volunteer fire department because now if they repeat the fund raiser next year they'll be likely to have a difficult time attracting people back after all of the negative publicity this year. Maybe they could just raffle off a new car like some of the volunteer fire departments up here in Pennsylvania do? I never heard of a Ford Mustang GT making people fall ill! I'm friends with several volunteer firefighters and EMTs, and I honestly don't know how they find the time to be heroes while also working full-time jobs, maintaining healthy family and social lives, etc. I'm a full-time student working full-time to support my education, and I can't even hack this, let alone how busy those folks are. I tip my proverbial hat to you!

Best of luck in next year's fundraiser---maybe you could try tofu instead? LOL!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:20 PM

21 posts, read 72,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
My son and his grandparents had the pork on Sunday and they were all fine, thank goodness! I think trichinosis is a little more serious than your basic food bacteria, so I am doubting it is that (but I could be wrong).

I dunno, while I think that whoever is supervising these things should be more careful, this can very easily happen with this type of function no matter how well trained they might be. Trying to serve that many people as quickly as possible makes it very difficult to keep food at a controlled temperature.

I wonder if it affected people who got the food later in the day perhaps? I'll have to find out what time they picked up their plates.

Hmmm...that is interesting. We did eat at the very end of the day, around 5:30 ish. And, I am very glad the kiddos did not get sick! They refused to eat the bbq...would only eat the cookies, lol. Who knows? Luckily, hubby is one the mend! Good timing too, because we leave for Jamaica in 24 hours, yay!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:34 AM

193 posts, read 633,883 times
I second the thought that I hope this does not hurt the fund raising next year. I am sure that they will be doubly cautious next year and personally would have no qualms about eating there again next year.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:52 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
Honestly, from the statements made by members of the TCVFD I am inferring that they will likely not do this type of fundraiser next year. I said I wouldn't go back before it came out about everyone getting sick, but everyone knows I am borderline paranoid and take foodsafety seriously. If the health department would have shown up, they likely would have immediately shut the event down due some of the things I witnessed which very likely contributed to the outbreak of foodborne illness. The people reporting getting sick has now reached at least 70.

As far as cooking for groups, it actually happens quite often when the people preparing the food are not trained in foodsafety. You can read more about that on HealthInspections.com: Nationwide Health Inspections at your fingertips..

The company I work for often provides food in disaster relief situations and every precaution is taken with regards to food safety. Even when Katrina evacuees where staying in Charlotte at the Coliseum, food safety was a top priority while we serving lunch. Hands had to be washed before entering the foodservice area and gloves had to be worn and changed often. The food was kept in larger refrigeration units prior to preparation and cooked to the proper temperature. These are all precautions which need to be taken when serving for larger groups.

Last edited by groove1; 04-04-2008 at 07:06 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,733 times
I must admit...I am torn (although I know my oldest child has already planned to be out of town next year ) I am torn because these guys give so much of themselves...and have done so for the past 25 years without incident. I also know that no one feels any worse about this situation then they do (heck they live here, these are their own friends and neighbors)....but of course I am sure we will all use a little more caution next time. We happen to pick our food up around 1:30...so go figure?...out of 4..only 1 of us went down (so to speak)...but then I was raised on cast iron bacon greese cooking so I think that is my saving grace in this situation (gee as I write this I can just visualize groove gagging right about now!

Anyway...I also heard on the news last night that...apparently fundraisers to not have to not have inspections in SC unless it is something that occurs more than 3 times in a year?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:24 AM

I don't think that's correct....see "Special Events":

SCDHEC: Food Protection - Permit Types

I was there around 1:30 myself and just had a real bad feeling, as did the other woman near me (who didn't even eat her chicken).

I like grease...maybe not bacon grease....but other types of grease are good every so often.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:37 AM

151 posts, read 571,131 times
Interesting back and forth. Eating out or at home has risks, period. Regulating food preparation is a good thing, and undoubtably, has saved lives and helped keep people healthy. However, it seems like there is so much risk in life, no gurantees, and if we manage to open our eyes in the morning we should consider ourselves lucky. Our firefighters will find other means for raising cash. How about standing at the crossroads like Ft Mill firefighters, and collecting cash in their boots? That seems to work. Now, what I don't know, is exactly why are the firefighters raising cash, is it for charity purposes, or is it for equipment they need? If it's for equipment needs, then why isn't the city stepping up and addressing a shortfall? I see 70 people getting sick, and I see a class action lawsuit. I hope those that were taken ill do not sue the city because we're a bit cash strapped at the time do to some serious mismanagement of city funds, and cost over-runs lately.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:30 PM

It's a volunteer fire department, meaning they likely receive little to no money from government agencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties