Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:31 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatTerra View Post
Interesting back and forth. Eating out or at home has risks, period. Regulating food preparation is a good thing, and undoubtably, has saved lives and helped keep people healthy. However, it seems like there is so much risk in life, no gurantees, and if we manage to open our eyes in the morning we should consider ourselves lucky. Our firefighters will find other means for raising cash. How about standing at the crossroads like Ft Mill firefighters, and collecting cash in their boots? That seems to work. Now, what I don't know, is exactly why are the firefighters raising cash, is it for charity purposes, or is it for equipment they need? If it's for equipment needs, then why isn't the city stepping up and addressing a shortfall? I see 70 people getting sick, and I see a class action lawsuit. I hope those that were taken ill do not sue the city because we're a bit cash strapped at the time do to some serious mismanagement of city funds, and cost over-runs lately.
Be careful SatTerra...your California is showing a bit. What I mean by that is your comment about a class action lawsuit. When we first moved to the area (from CA)...there would be situations that would occur back here..that I remember telling my husband that if this had happened in CA...so and so would have already had their lawyer on the line and getting ready to sue. Out here folks seem to work things out in a much simpler way and it doesn't always have to be I'll get you...before you get me kind of way.

In regards to the city being mismanaged....that happens to be your opinion...which you are entitled to...but as I have suggested to you in the past...if you are not pleased with things as they currently stand....please...Get Involved....Tega Cay thrives on Volunteers!!

I have seen first hand alot of good people around here that do some incredible things behind the scenes without wanting any accolades...and that means alot to me and why I love where I live...I would hate to see that lost.

But back to some of the original questions you had.....the TCVFD is a non-profit organization that contracts its service to the city. The barbeque was one of the more popular events that the Volunteer Fire Dept. would have....and all monies raised go towards the department.

Last edited by lovethecarolinas; 04-05-2008 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:56 PM

116 posts, read 430,581 times
I haven't read all the posts in this thread so if this has already been said forgive me.

I think it was an unfortunate accident which could have happened to anyone, anytime, anywhere. It just so happened to be this fire dept. BBQ this time around.

There are always other alternatives to food fund-raisers, not sure if the TCVFD is as lovely eye candy as many of the FDNY (Brooklyn girls love firefighters! lol ), but I'd sure as heck buy a calendar.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:17 AM

151 posts, read 570,813 times
LoveTheCarolinas, I know your heart is in the right place, but please stop mothering me. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:02 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatTerra View Post
LoveTheCarolinas, I know your heart is in the right place, but please stop mothering me. Thanks!
Mothering????..okay...whatever???...but I will agree with you that my heart is in the right place (and that's not a bad place to be)!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I'm not trying to take sides, but would somebody really file a class action lawsuite against a volunteer fire dept?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 PM

116 posts, read 430,581 times
I don't think anyone should file a lawsuit either but i do believe there are people out there who would do it!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:27 PM

True...and back to the risk factor...yes, there is risk in everything, but you take steps to minimize them, which wasn't done here.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Default Cause confirmed

"Tega Cay BBQ cause confirmed
TAYLOR BRIGHT
The S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control determined Friday the cause of a mass sickening at a Tega Fundraiser was caused by improper handling and storage of food after cooking.

The department issued a release Friday saying food and stool samples tested positive for clostridium perfringens, which is a "commonly reported" foodborne illness, DHEC said.

More than 70 people reported being sick after attending the barbecue nearly two weeks ago. Many people complained of cramps and diarrhea, which is consistent with clostridium perfringens.

The fundraiser was held by the Tega Cay Volunteer Fire Department. The firefighters will not face any punishment or fines. Under S.C. law, community groups are allowed to hold 12 unregulated events."

Translation: Meat was undercooked. Big shock there. Community groups serving food should be regulated like any other business selling food.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:43 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I'm not trying to take sides, but would somebody really file a class action lawsuite against a volunteer fire dept?
Wow...if I was in TCVFD and I got my a$$ed sued, whoever sues for something like this anyway, better pray their house doesn't burn! Jeez...

Old 04-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Wow...if I was in TCVFD and I got my a$$ed sued, whoever sues for something like this anyway, better pray their house doesn't burn! Jeez...
I know...we all know theeir intentions are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties