Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2006, 10:57 AM

196 posts, read 619,623 times

Advertisements

I am somewhat new to the Rock Hill area having moved here in July. There are a few things I have not been able to find and wondering if anyone can help.

1st a large magazine store, we have Books a Million in town but they really lack in ethnic publications. My mom is here for the holidays and being elderly she can not do much. About all she does to occupy her time during the day is read spanish magazines and publications. Over the past week she has run out of what she brought with her. The closest Barnes and Noble I can find is at the Carolina Mall and it would be rough to do that during the holiday shopping mayhem. I don't even know if they carry any spanish magazines over there.

2nd a butcher shop. Been looking high and low but no luck. The meat selections at the local Food Lion is a bit lacking. On occasion we go to the Harris Teeter but believe it or not that place is somewhat small / poor in selection to what we had in Florida but better than Food Lion. I do not mind paying a bit more if we can find a quality butcher in town.

Thanks,
Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2006, 07:29 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post
I am somewhat new to the Rock Hill area having moved here in July. There are a few things I have not been able to find and wondering if anyone can help.

1st a large magazine store, we have Books a Million in town but they really lack in ethnic publications. My mom is here for the holidays and being elderly she can not do much. About all she does to occupy her time during the day is read spanish magazines and publications. Over the past week she has run out of what she brought with her. The closest Barnes and Noble I can find is at the Carolina Mall and it would be rough to do that during the holiday shopping mayhem. I don't even know if they carry any spanish magazines over there.

2nd a butcher shop. Been looking high and low but no luck. The meat selections at the local Food Lion is a bit lacking. On occasion we go to the Harris Teeter but believe it or not that place is somewhat small / poor in selection to what we had in Florida but better than Food Lion. I do not mind paying a bit more if we can find a quality butcher in town.

Thanks,
Rich
Hey there Rich - not sure how much help this will be but there is a book store called the Book Rack in Rock Hill (on Anderson). They carry new and used books and some magazines. Another thought...what about the York County Library in Rock Hill (yclibrary.org/mainbranchdetails.php). There's also a magazine store (called the Newstand?) but it happens to be within the Carolina Place Mall (by the food court).

In regard to a butcher shop....you might want to check out The Peach Stand in Fort Mill (off 160 & 21)....it's not huge...but it is a butcher shop (springsfarm.com/peachstand.asp). Another option is Earth Fare in the Ballantyne area off Johnston Rd.

Last edited by lovethecarolinas; 11-25-2006 at 08:09 PM..

Old 11-29-2006, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 14,709 times
Default butcher shop

try the Peach Stand. Rt 160 1/4 mile east of 77.The prime sirloin is outstanding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post

Thanks,
Rich

Old 12-03-2006, 04:35 PM

I have checked the Book Rack but nothing in the way of magazines over there.

I'll have to check out the Peach Stand, never thought that they had a butcher shop.

I have not visited the Library yet, I'll have to stop by one of these days and see what they have. Trying to stay away from the mall but I know there is a Barnes and Noble over in Pineville, I'll try to visit that during the day when traffic should be light during the holiday season.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 12-08-2006, 02:02 PM

Went to Barnes and Noble in Pineville and was disappointed. It was large and even though Charlotte claims to have a large and growing hispanic community there was not one spanish magazine to be found. They had a lot of stuff but I ended up finding a run down Mexican "bodega" on South Blvd that had People and Cosmo in spanish. Not what she was looking for but it will do I guess, once Mom moves up here for good I'll just have to subscribe to them which will be expensive since most of the things she reads come from Spain.

The Peach Stand was a blast, a bit pricy but everything is "up there". I walked out with several things. The butcher shop was OK but nothing I would travel there for since it's about the same as what you can find at a HT. I'll have to look in South Park or Dilbert for the future in case we ever get a hankering for something special.

I'll continue looking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties