Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 12,540 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here recently moved to Baxter Village or planning on moving there any time soon?

My wife and I are having a house built in the new phase and are roughly 2-3 months out from moving. Any advice for a newcomer? We're moving from Baltimore. Very excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 02:10 PM

850 posts, read 2,653,060 times
There is always a new phase at Baxter. We have been here 2 1/2 years. Love it! Events all the time, close to shopping, sidewaks, kids.... Welcome!

Old 10-20-2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks marndt! Pardon my vagueness... I'm not sure what the phase number is but we'll be in the phase that currently has a few new homes under construction behind where the models current are on Front Street.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 AM

56 posts, read 173,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissarmy47 View Post
Has anyone here recently moved to Baxter Village or planning on moving there any time soon?

My wife and I are having a house built in the new phase and are roughly 2-3 months out from moving. Any advice for a newcomer? We're moving from Baltimore. Very excited!
We don't live in Baxter, but we live nearby and end up over that way quite a bit. It really is a nice place. Very idyllic. Good people, good layout, nice neighborhoods, and it's convenient to a lot of stuff. It's really well put together. I think you have plenty of reason to be excited

As a new transplant myself, the only new advice I can offer is to call and get a list of everything you need to register your car and drivers license in SC. It's quite a process here. You have to pay your vehicle taxes first (at a different place), then bring the receipt to the DMV along with proof that you live at the new address. (bills, or a house deed, or something). Also need birth certificates or passports, vehicle titles, vehicle registration from the old state, VIN #'s, and the vehicle weights (gross, and the other one). There's probably a few other things I'm forgetting. We thought we were prepared, but ended up going back twice. (Well, once was because their computer system was down). Point being, it's worth finding out ahead of time. One nice thing is you get your license that day - they have the machine right there.

Also, you'll receive a form in the mail "Application for special assessment as legal residence". Make sure you fill it out and send it in after you get your drivers license. (You need to send it back along with a copy of your license). This gets you the 4% tax instead of the 6% tax.

Other than that, have fun exploring the area. There's a lot of construction around here. Lots of new things happening. It's also a great place for kids. It just has a good vibe.

Good luck with the move!

Old 10-21-2008, 01:01 PM

Thanks init. Its very comforting to hear good confirmations after making such a big financial and life decision.

I appreciate your advice about the license. I assume you can just use your out-of-state license for a few weeks or whatever until getting it switched over? Hopefully I can benefit though from your rough time, I'll make sure to be anal about getting all our paperwork together for that.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:54 PM

56 posts, read 173,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissarmy47 View Post
Thanks init. Its very comforting to hear good confirmations after making such a big financial and life decision.

I appreciate your advice about the license. I assume you can just use your out-of-state license for a few weeks or whatever until getting it switched over? Hopefully I can benefit though from your rough time, I'll make sure to be anal about getting all our paperwork together for that.
Yup, there's a grace period.. I think it's 60 days? You'll have plenty of time..

And I totally understand the whole big financial / life decision thing. Its one thing to want to move somewhere different... it's another thing all together to actually do it. Definitely nerve wracking.. a blur of activity, and suddenly you wake up in a different room, in a different house, in a different state. Good luck on your adventure

-Bill

Old 11-03-2008, 07:16 PM

390 posts, read 1,516,492 times
Interesting to hear that some were mailed the application for permanent residence. We weren't - I went in search of it after I picked myself up off the floor when I saw our 2008 tax bill. Beyond the 4% vs. 6% asessment, the millage is almost double if you don't have permanent residence status for your home.

And I agree, the license plate and DL processes are quite painful. It took me 5 months and 4 visits to get a license plate - and then they tried to fine me $75 for not registering in time. If you have a leased vehicle, make sure you get the right paperwork for that...

Good luck! You'll love it here.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:12 PM

29 posts, read 87,027 times
Swiss Army,
What is your lot number?
We just signed a contract for a home in BV (already built) Sunday & are moving there in a few weeks! It's in a new section, too, although there seem to be lots of new sections...we are so excited...

Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 PM

112 posts, read 364,763 times
Megassel - How much more were your non-resident taxes compared to what they should have been? I'm moving to SC next year but may not be able to change my residency, so I'd end up paying non-resident taxes. Just wondering what I'm in for. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannab View Post
Swiss Army,
What is your lot number?
We just signed a contract for a home in BV (already built) Sunday & are moving there in a few weeks! It's in a new section, too, although there seem to be lots of new sections...we are so excited...
I'll shoot you over a PM.

I have found there is a need for an up-to-date map for Baxter. The ones I've found on the official website aren't so great. Anyone know of a good one? One that has been recently updated, with new street names, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties