Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:22 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,462 times

Advertisements

i don't live in york or lancaster counties but in lexington county and wish we still had comcast like we did in MA. we currently have windstream and ran into some issues when we first subscribed (sloooooooooooow internet connection although they claimed it was "high" speed) and they contract with Dish for telly service. . .so, when the weather is a little sketchy there goes our telly. after contacting windstream they fixed the internet connection--still not as fast as they claimed, but a heck of a lot better. We don't care for Dish so much as we liked a lot of the features of comcast (extensive on demand, more pay per view movie choices, more HD channels. . .)we're looking at alternatives already so we can make the switch when our current subscription runs out. i want my comcast back. :-|
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:57 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinthefamily View Post
I moved from PA and had comcast now I have comporium and I find both services to be identical. Both have some problems I do however find comporium more helpful and easy to reach a live person.
The above is true. A lot easier than trying to hold for hours upon hours getting Roadrunner up with TWC. We have a Comporium bundle (phone, cable internet, cable and alarm system). No problem on internet connection. We upgraded to the middle speed.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:18 PM

161 posts, read 529,146 times
Don't worry, Comporium is just fine. They are also a good bit less expensive than Time Warner/Charlotte, if price is a consideration. Comporium is in the process of upgrading their cable service to all digital. My area has been upgraded and I'm VERY pleased with my excellent reception and channel selection. If you locate in a newer subdivision (any developed within the past four years or so) you will recieve your Comporium service via "fiber to the premises," meaning fiber optic cable will come into your house to provide all services. This is considered state of the art. Also, I've never had a problem with Comporium internet, and customer service is excellent. There are several people on this board who are dedicated to complaining about Comporium, but you'll find most subscribers are quite happy. BTW, I have no connection with Comporium, am not employed by them, and have no financial interest in the company. To set the record straight, Comporium is NOT owned by the city of Rock Hill (That's the power company that is owned by the city). Comporium IS locally owned by a local family. Unlike Time Warner and AT&T, they are NOT owned by a multi-national corporation.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:05 PM

305 posts, read 1,808,509 times
Thanks Moedog2 ... I guess my first question will be "is this home prewired for digital fiber optics?" This is definitely a deal breaker for us.

Bibit612 ... I'm interested in hearing more about the alarm system you mentioned.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:42 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
Moedog2, glad you are happy with Comporium. My experience has been very different than yours. I have been a customer for exactly one year. I live in a 2 year old subdivision so the house is not old and was prewired.

I dont have any complaints about TV reception but I do think it is very expensive and my bill has gone up with NO notice in advance.

The internet service is terrible. My internet goes out at least twice a week and they have come to my house quite a few times to check the cable. No problems. have had my computer checked as well and no problem. My neighbors have similar problems with internet going down, especially during the night. Whenever I phone them about it being down, they always admit that there is a "problems with that area of York county"....several times a week??????????

I m not much of a complainer, but when I am paying almost $90/month for TV and internet, I expect flawless service almost 100% of the time. I have moved from several other areas and I have absolutely never had these problems anywhere but here.

Congratulations to those who dont experience these problems. I can only report what MY experience has been.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:50 PM

174 posts, read 502,161 times
I've had good luck with my land-line telephone and cable internet service from Comporium, but the cable TV is prone to audio problems (popping sounds and short periods of no sound) and on the HD channels, "pixellation" of the video signal from time to time. The picture will freeze up every once in a while - annoying enough that I am looking into alternatives after about a year with them.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:13 PM

329 posts, read 1,271,619 times
What about 3G internet cards (Sprint or AT&T). I started a post, but so far have not had any responses.

I am also moving to the Fort Mill area in the spring and don't want to have to deal with Comporium any more than I have to - I will use them for cable only (not a satellite fan).

So I am looking at 3G internet cards as an alternative. Plus, I travel frequently and work from my laptop and need to have internet access all over.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:19 PM

95 posts, read 385,811 times
I have been on Comporium for close to 2 years. I can't comment on the service because they have never gone down. I work at home and am on line 10 hours a day. When Comporium's tech hooked up the cable he was also kind enough to take my phone off the grid (I am on VOIP).

I came from Time Warner. With Time Warner my INTERNET went down every time it rained and it stayed down for 1-2 days. My complaints went nowhere except to bring out their contractors who always seemed to be on parole. It got to the point that when I requested service I would always speak with a manager and ask for a Time Warner employee so as not to have a contractor come out.

If Time Warner came to the area I would not switch no matter what the price difference.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:13 PM

305 posts, read 1,808,509 times
Thank you everyone for your input. It gives me a lot to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties