Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:50 PM

17 posts, read 50,479 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me first hand about Springfield Middle and Nations Ford High schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 8,962 times
Educationally they are great schools, but I often question the competence of the Nation Ford administration and guidance staff. From what my sons and daughter have told me, the administration spends most of their time worrying about petty things such as dress code violations, cell phone use, and the students' off campus activities (which they have no business being in) rather than important issues like the alarming pregnancy rate compared to Fort Mill High. However, the guidance department is what causes the most greif in my home. They have, on no less than five occasions, LIED to my eldest son about classes he "needed" to take verse classes he wanted to take. As far as my friends who also have children at Nation Ford and I can tell, guidance has absolutely no interest in helping students find a career they will like: they are only concerned about making the school look good by placing students in classes their pencil-pushing superiors at the distric office can brag about.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:22 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy1985 View Post
Educationally they are great schools, but I often question the competence of the Nation Ford administration and guidance staff. From what my sons and daughter have told me, the administration spends most of their time worrying about petty things such as dress code violations, cell phone use, and the students' off campus activities (which they have no business being in) rather than important issues like the alarming pregnancy rate compared to Fort Mill High. However, the guidance department is what causes the most greif in my home. They have, on no less than five occasions, LIED to my eldest son about classes he "needed" to take verse classes he wanted to take. As far as my friends who also have children at Nation Ford and I can tell, guidance has absolutely no interest in helping students find a career they will like: they are only concerned about making the school look good by placing students in classes their pencil-pushing superiors at the distric office can brag about.
That is sad...we are fortunate to be in FMHS. My daughter is thriving, and the principal, guidance counselor and MOST of the faculty are engaged. Springfield Middle is even much better...truly caring faculty and staff...principal, assistant, guidance, attendance, curriculum....

Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM

126 posts, read 289,164 times
Quote:

SCguy hit the nail on the head. We had to do a parental override because of what the guidance counselor did. She told my daughter without our presence what she should take and placed her in a tech class.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeOnTheMove21 View Post
Can anyone tell me first hand about Springfield Middle and Nations Ford High schools.
Springfield Middle seems to have some racial and bullying issues. Some of the teachers do not seem to take the issues seriously. I have heard comments like "he/she is kind of a target". The replacement for one of the science teachers appears to be more interested in failing kids than helping them succeed. Overall, the kids grades have dropped drasctically since she took over teaching. This is something that should be a red flag to the adminstration.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 PM

If i would I would choose to place our children in Gold Hill Middle and Fort Mill High

Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM

170 posts, read 286,667 times
The distict as a whole needs much better communication with parents. Parents need to know the good and the bad of what is happening in a school and a district to help it succeed. I agree there is too much emphasis on things like cell phones, dress code and my least favorite--- silent lunches. The goal of a good education and good extra cirricular activities seems to have become secondary to following basic rules and basic discipline.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:35 PM

The principal of Springfield Middle(Mr.Griffin) needs to be placed as the principal of Nations Ford High. The current principal of NF has no control but Griffin's presence would make a huge difference.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:35 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,134 times
Quote:

i teach in GCS and

a.) your last sentence.....join the club haha. district superiors state wide have been on a public relations mission the last few years encouraging schools to place kids in AP classes that will "up" their USNEWS rankings...as if those rankings really mean anything. my school created an AP course for just this reason 3 years ago in which they enroll 100 some 10th graders and the passage rate on the AP test for the subject is tragic lol. no i don't teach the course in question ;-).

b.) the alarming pregnancy rate at NFHS??? nice!! those suburban kids getting it on i guess. :-).

Old 05-02-2011, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,445 times
Great school district. Great schools. Guidance counsleors are generally correct with the placement of kids into Tech or CP classes. This is not a reflection on the child's ability but of the effort the child has put forth.
As the district continues to grow there will be some issues, bullying or whatever else. Alot of times this is a relection of home, not of the schools.
Good teachers. Wouldn't want my kids in any other school disctrict. If your child is willing to work hard the teachers are there to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties