Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2007, 10:33 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,827 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have a few questions for you guys, I have never been to SC, so forgive me if these seem funny to ask...We are considering a move from Florida, my husband may be getting a transfer there and we are weighing our options. We are initially from Colorado but have lived in N. Florida for the last 12 years.

What are your winters like? Do you get snow? (around the Fort Mill/Charlotte NC area)

Can you give me a general estimate on what you pay for property taxes and Homeowners Insurance on about a 250k house?

What about your utility bills? I am curious on how your electric bills compare to FL. We currently pay about 250.00 a month on an 1800 sq ft house and about 65.00 on water/sewage combined. We are looking to get a house around 3000 sq ft there. We need more space.

How far away are the mountains? Is the Fort Mill area considered "rolling hills" or is it closer to mountains? (We miss mountains, Florida is SO FLAT, but we love the rolling hills, too!)

Thanks to anyone who responds, we are just in the beginning stages of looking at our options. We are planning a trip up there in August to see everything in person.

Thanks!!

~D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 09:21 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
I currently live about 5 miles from Ft Mill and will be moving there next month.

Winters: not much snow, if any at all. This past year we got 2 inches and it was enough to shut down the area. A few years ago we got 17 inches in one day, but that's a rare occurence. It's funny because when the weatherpeople predict snow, the stores sell out of bread, milk, and beer.

Tax in Fort Mill is currently low, I think about 1% (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I don't know about homeowners insurance, but I should get my qoute for my new house tomorrow or Wednesday.

If a new house with gas heat at that size, you will probably pay more in Dec-February, because it does get below freezing, maybe up to $400.

Fort Mill is pretty flat, just like Charlotte (the area is called the piedmont). However, depending on which part of the mountains you go to and which route you take, 1.5-2.5 hours. Several beaches in NC/SC can be driven to in roughly 3 hours as well.

For the most part, the Charlotte area is nice. We get all four seasons, and there is a lot to do here.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:59 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,477 times
On average about every 8-10 years we get a good snow, as in a foot or more. We do sometimes get ice storms which really do shut everything down. This past winter we got a slight dusting.

The biggest thing I love about Carolina winters is that sure it gets cold but it doesn't last more than a few days usually. You can have a 30 degree day and then two days later it can reach seventy. I got married in Feb '99 and it was in the 70s on my wedding day. We have the absolute best and most beautiful springs (and transplants from the north will agree with me) that start early March and we also have lovely falls. The Charlotte area is just a couple of hours from the mountains and a couple of hours from the beach. It isn't completely flat like it is out west but it isn't exactly mountainous either. Some areas have more rolling hills than others.

I can't remember for sure but I think my property taxes in Fort Mill on a house that is appraised for $300,000 is about $2000/year. My house is about 2500 square feet and my electric and gas combined run me about $150-200/month (more in the summer) and my water/sewer ranges from about $40-$100/month (I am immaculate about the grass though).

If you have kids or plan to have kids though, the Fort Mill schools are bar none the best in the entire Charlotte area. Not that there isn't individual schools that are good but the whole district is fantastic and has been that way for years and years.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:43 PM

390 posts, read 1,516,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
On average about every 8-10 years we get a good snow, as in a foot or more. We do sometimes get ice storms which really do shut everything down. This past winter we got a slight dusting.

The biggest thing I love about Carolina winters is that sure it gets cold but it doesn't last more than a few days usually. You can have a 30 degree day and then two days later it can reach seventy. I got married in Feb '99 and it was in the 70s on my wedding day. We have the absolute best and most beautiful springs (and transplants from the north will agree with me) that start early March and we also have lovely falls. The Charlotte area is just a couple of hours from the mountains and a couple of hours from the beach. It isn't completely flat like it is out west but it isn't exactly mountainous either. Some areas have more rolling hills than others.

I can't remember for sure but I think my property taxes in Fort Mill on a house that is appraised for $300,000 is about $2000/year. My house is about 2500 square feet and my electric and gas combined run me about $150-200/month (more in the summer) and my water/sewer ranges from about $40-$100/month (I am immaculate about the grass though).

If you have kids or plan to have kids though, the Fort Mill schools are bar none the best in the entire Charlotte area. Not that there isn't individual schools that are good but the whole district is fantastic and has been that way for years and years.

I'm glad to hear that your water bill is only $40-$100. I was getting scared of what the water bill would be when our house is ready...our bill in the apartment was $80!!! They must have all sorts of ridiculous multi-family fees in there, or maybe the bill was for more than a month.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:19 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
I'm glad to hear that your water bill is only $40-$100. I was getting scared of what the water bill would be when our house is ready...our bill in the apartment was $80!!! They must have all sorts of ridiculous multi-family fees in there, or maybe the bill was for more than a month.
Just FYI megassel - Your water company is going to be different than in Fort Mill. Where I'm located in Tega Cay the water company is Tega Cay Water (LakeShore has a different water company, while I even believe the older section of Tega Cay happens to have even a different company for water?). Anywho my water bill runs in the mid $60 to mid $70 range per month.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:52 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,477 times
Yes you are right and the taxes in Tega Cay are also higher. When I had a toilet running unknowingly last year, the water bill maxed out at $120 and that is when I knew something was wrong. It was also about that high when I first moved in and sodded the lawn.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:05 PM

We're paying Tega Cay Water already for the one faucet that sits at the top of our driveway. That bill is $40 per month, but I can call them each month and have them remove the $33 for sewer, since there are no toilets at the house yet! Here in Fort Mill we pay Alliance Data, which seems to be simply a billing clearinghouse for multi-family dwellings. In Charlotte we paid $33-$36 per month to the city.

After we close on the Charlotte house tomorrow, we'll go from 13 utility bills each month to 8. Thank goodness - I can't keep up with the paperwork.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:49 PM

27 posts, read 86,726 times
Is that common for all homes - $30 - $40 month?

Old 05-30-2007, 07:28 PM

I assume it will be much more when the house is done - right now we're not actually using much water at all, since it's a job site. $30 - $40 was my average bill in Charlotte - maybe in the $60 range in the summer during watering season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties