Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:49 AM

40 posts, read 85,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I thought TT only came with one state download. Can you tell me how you get two states?
I am looking to buy it soon, probably from Costco.
Just install the software in one computer and install software for one state. When you install that same CDROM software into another computer, you can select another state without any problem. We've done it for two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,911,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbrwn View Post
Just install the software in one computer and install software for one state. When you install that same CDROM software into another computer, you can select another state without any problem. We've done it for two years.
Hmmmmm....don't those two states need to "talk" to each other to get it right on the Fed? How can you do what you're doing if the states are on separate PC's? Are you sure your results are right???? Be careful when you try to do workarounds like these because you defeat the controls and checks of the software in the interest of saving. You may never know if you are entitled to something more, or that you actually owe somewhere and you're setting yourself up for an audit. Just saying....

Old 02-03-2010, 04:09 PM

299 posts, read 1,072,762 times
The two states' returns don't have any baring on your Fed return.

However, I suppose you'd have to file your states in the correct order because you will claim credit for taxes paid to State #1 on the tax return you file with State #2.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:17 PM

201 posts, read 599,202 times
There are online efile programs that you can go to yourself, and you don't have to buy software. They step you right through everything you need. First go to Internal Revenue Service then click on efile for free. You have to go through the irs site to get the free federal efile, I believe. There is a long list of web-based programs you can use to file your federal taxes for free. We use TaxAct, and the program will also do your state taxes for a minimal fee (around $15 or so if I remember correctly.) We have the dual state situation (Live in SC, husband works in NC, I work in SC, etc.) and have used Tax Act Online for several years with no problems.
Internal Revenue Service
Free TaxAct (takes you to TaxACT Online taxes: FREE online tax filing, IRS efile & income tax preparation)

Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSagess View Post
The two states' returns don't have any baring on your Fed return.

However, I suppose you'd have to file your states in the correct order because you will claim credit for taxes paid to State #1 on the tax return you file with State #2.
My husband and I prepare taxes for a living. Yes the state returns have a bearing on your federal return and vice-versa.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillesc View Post
There are online efile programs that you can go to yourself, and you don't have to buy software. They step you right through everything you need. First go to Internal Revenue Service then click on efile for free. You have to go through the irs site to get the free federal efile, I believe. There is a long list of web-based programs you can use to file your federal taxes for free. We use TaxAct, and the program will also do your state taxes for a minimal fee (around $15 or so if I remember correctly.) We have the dual state situation (Live in SC, husband works in NC, I work in SC, etc.) and have used Tax Act Online for several years with no problems.
Internal Revenue Service
Free TaxAct (takes you to TaxACT Online taxes: FREE online tax filing, IRS efile & income tax preparation)
You have to make less than a certain amount to be able to use the IRS filing. It is also limited in the type of schedules and forms you can use. This is for those who have very simple returns.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:49 AM

299 posts, read 1,072,762 times
Bibit... how do your state returns impact your feds (other than reporting your previous year's return as income for this year)? Maybe I've been missing something? (I'm not trying to sound sarcastic... I'm really curious to see where/how I am mistaken here.)

As far as free filiing your fed... The IRS refers you to a list of sites at which you can free file, most of which have an income limit (I believe your AGI must be less than $57K, some sites say $32K), but I believe Express1040 does not have this restriction (or at least, their income limit is MUCH higher). I don't think Express1040 is on the IRS list. Also, if I remember correctly, Express1040 will file your state return for around $12. I've never tried filing 2 states with them, I don't think.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:21 AM

Silver - I don't believe you're being sarcastic or anything like that! Your state refunds for the prior year are taxable on the current year on the feds, for one. Depending on the state, there are also limitations on credits that may affect the fed return. That's why, in response to the other poster who was suggesting a workaround and splitting up the states by downloading the software on separate computers is a dangerous thing to do. It overrides the built in audit checks within the software, and conceivably, you could have differing results on the fed return from re-keying another state. I don't know what type of questions are asked by TT, Taxcut or any of the applications geared toward individuals because we use a professional multistate application which has all the schedules and forms, including corporation returns. We don't go through an interview process inside the application since we go straight to the appropriate forms and schedules. My only caveat on self-preparing is that on some of the items, you would actually have to know the tax rules to be able to figure out which is the best way to go for you. Examples are taking mileage vs actual expenses, some unreimbursed emp expenses, many of the credits that have to do with energy, vehicles, etc. etc. Throughout the tax season, our application continues to receive downloads from the IRS. An off the shelf application probably does not get updated once released, not sure about this.

Self preparing works for very uncomplicated returns. So do online apps directly from the IRS. We have a client on EIC every year and we have done her return every year for the last 7 years. She makes an average of $18K, so income is not the guiding rule for a "simple" return. We are experiencing return customers this year who have decided that doing it themselves last year was not worth it to them, and some of them just have schedule A's. These customers are from out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties