Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 08:36 PM

238 posts, read 1,248,088 times

Advertisements

My DH & I are coming to the area in August to begin our search for our retirement home. We plan on moving in 09. Currently, we are blessed to live in a great neighborhood with lovely friends. We are looking for new construction (I think),developments with walking trails for the pups, & great neighbors..possibly a gated type of community. Our price range is mid 300's. Can anyone direct us to some areas to look at?
Thanks !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
My DH & I are coming to the area in August to begin our search for our retirement home. We plan on moving in 09. Currently, we are blessed to live in a great neighborhood with lovely friends. We are looking for new construction (I think),developments with walking trails for the pups, & great neighbors..possibly a gated type of community. Our price range is mid 300's. Can anyone direct us to some areas to look at?
Thanks !!!
well, just as I was about to suggest some places to take a look at....I saw that you possibly wanted a gated community...the only place that I can think of right now in Fort Mill/Tega Cay/Lake Wylie is: River Hills Plantation (located in Lake Wylie, SC). But...they are not new homes.

Course if you are open to places that are not gated...I could name several more places to check out.

One other suggestion...while not in the exact location you mention...there is a new Del Webb community (Sun City) located in Lancaster County you may be interested in?

River Hills Community Association - RiverHillsPlantation.com

South Carolina Real Estate | South Carolina Homes for Sale | New Homes in South Carolina for Sale - Lancaster County, SC (http://www.delwebb.com/homefinder/Community.aspx?ID=100502 - broken link)

Old 06-28-2007, 10:40 PM

We have friends in River Hills and it's lovely but older and we would like new or near new. As I read this forum it sounds like there are very few "gated communties"..that's ok.. Sun City seems too big and I'm not sure if I want the over 55 living..although retiring..we aren't looking to segerate ourselves . We do like the gated communities because it tends to keep everyone on their toes as far as the up keep of the proprerty.
Please suggest away!!
Thanks so much..we are really excited about coming to the area!

Old 06-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
We have friends in River Hills and it's lovely but older and we would like new or near new. As I read this forum it sounds like there are very few "gated communties"..that's ok.. Sun City seems too big and I'm not sure if I want the over 55 living..although retiring..we aren't looking to segerate ourselves . We do like the gated communities because it tends to keep everyone on their toes as far as the up keep of the proprerty.
Please suggest away!!
Thanks so much..we are really excited about coming to the area!
Okay...I am throwing out gated communities...and 55 and over living. With that in mind (and with what you describe your looking for)...there are a few locations that come to mind.

The first is Tega Cay, SC (www.tegacaysc (broken link)). Anywhere really in Tega Cay would be fine (it would be more up to you on what you like). FYI...we have a new Dog Park now too. A couple of places you may be interested in (if you want new) are:

Calloway Village by Standard Pacific (includes Golf Course townhomes and/or Ranch homes...some w/basements)

Beachclub Townhomes by DR Horton (overlooking the Beach Club and Lake Wylie)

Silver Gull Village Townhomes by Orleans

Meadowview Village by Alluring

....all of the above are well within your price range and within the Lake Shore development located in Tega Cay. Another option...there are plenty of resells all throughout Tega Cay within your price point. Or how about purchasing a lot within Tega Cay and build your own custom home.

Okay enough about Tega Cay!

The other place I was going to mention was Baxter Village in Fort Mill

Baxter Village

or Springfield location in Fort Mill

Villas at Springfield - The Cunnane Group, Inc. (http://www.crescent-resources.com/communit/charlott/springfield/cunnane.asp - broken link)

Although I know the area of Clover, SC and Lake Wylie pretty well...I am not as familiar with the new developments in that area.

Best of luck with your search!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:14 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,340 times
Sounds to me like you should be looking at Sun CIty/Carolina Lakes, which as someone mentioned is a Del Web community. It is a gated/over 55 community which will eventually have about 4500 homes (about 1000 have been completed, so I hear). It is in Lancaster County but has a Fort Mill address/telephone. Sun City is much more convenient to Balantyne and other Charlotte ammenities/shopping than other sections of Fort Mill.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the Sun City suggestion..we prefer the mix of age groups. I came across a place called Chastain Village by the builder Cason homes..has anyone had any experience with this builder or seen the area? I like some of the models I saw online. We are liking the ranch style homes with a bonus room up.
Thanks again for all the great insight offered...D.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the Sun City suggestion..we prefer the mix of age groups. I came across a place called Chastain Village by the builder Cason homes..has anyone had any experience with this builder or seen the area? I like some of the models I saw online. We are liking the ranch style homes with a bonus room up.
Thanks again for all the great insight offered...D.
There is a poster on this site that goes by the name ravensruul. They just recently purchased a Cason home. You might send them a PM for more info.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...tom-homes.html

Old 06-30-2007, 10:18 PM

gee thanks! You are a big help to those of us out of the area..I am getting addicted to this forum with all the great info to be found!

Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,340 times
Chastain is in Indian Land (Lancaster Co.) though it has a Fort MIll address. It is directly on the NC line off of Shelly Mullis Road. There are two builders there, Baker Residential in addition to Cason. I have drien through Chastain a number of times and it looks really nice---it is a smaller development of maybe 150 homes, and they are selling briskly, it would seem. It is not a gated community, however. If Chastain is your style, there are a couple other developments in Indian Land you might consider. Niblock and Turnberry Homes are both building in Fox Ridge, off Possum Hollow Rd, near Rt. 160. It is another small community where homes start in low 300s. Also in the low 300s is Shelley Woods, also off Shelley Mullis Road, but closer to Rt. 521. Hovanian (sic) is building there. There is a beautiful lake at the entrance. I think that deveopment will only have 138 homes. Neither of these communities is gated. There are several gated communities in Indian land, but I think they are out of your price range---Longbrooke actually has new spec houses available now, but I think in 600s and up!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:39 PM

You're right 600,000 is waayy over our budget! But I will add Foxridge & Shelley Woods to our growing list. I think we may need to add another day to our trip, too! Gated communities are nice but what we really want is a great neighborhood along with a well built home. If this forum is a reflection of South Carolinans we should be just fine .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties