Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:41 AM

80 posts, read 345,346 times

Advertisements

I am new to this board but have done lots of thread searching already! It's really helpful. We are considering a move to Fort Mill from the upper midwest. Our girls will be starting high school and middle school this fall. We came down on a house hunt this weekend and really liked two neighborhoods. One was Baxter Village! It seems really so charming, and being a relo I'd like to be in a neighborhood that promotes getting to know your neighbor. I have some questions for those of you who live in Baxter. Thanks in advance for your replies!

1. What is the best way to get to know people? For example, when you moved in, did you call the activities director, take a walk, etc?

2. Is it as friendly as it seems?

3. Do you take advantage of the shops, parks, etc.?

4. Does the "closeness" get old?

5. If you have slightly older children, (11 and up) do they play outside a lot? Do you allow them to walk dogs, play in parks, etc. w/o adult supervision?

6. Do you think the newer section (around the new pool area) will be as charming as the older sections? The house currently for sale that works best for us is in the newer section close to the new pool which isn't ready yet. That area does not look as charming to me, (more attached garages, fewer pocket parks, etc.) as the older section, and seems too far away to really walk to the park, shops, etc. Yet the homes for sale in the older sections are either too expensive or too small for us. But I'll keep looking...

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to this post. We are really excited about the prospect of moving to the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 AM

100 posts, read 373,660 times
We moved to Baxter in Jan of 2007. We live in the older section (as we agreed with your opinion of the older vs newer section)

We absolutely love it. The people are as friendly (as are we) as you think. It is very easy to meet people. On our block, kids play outside and walk to the park all the time. Kids are always playing.

To you specific questions:

1. We found the best way was simply to walk around. People will introduce themselves. Take advantage of the green areas and parks, people are always around. In our case, we walked up to the town center as well. We often pull our grill out in the alley and grill out with several of our neighbors.

2. Yes, but it is what you make of it. People are always trying to get to know other people. Greet them with a smile and you will find many people trying to get to know each other.

3. Yes. We have found that we walk to the town center alot. Between the Starbucks addiction, to kids eat free at Beef O'Bradys on Sunday and thursday.

4. We came from a minimum of 1 acre lots, and had some serious hesitation about the closeness. I can tell you that so far it hasn't and many of our neighbors have been on our street for 3 years. They still love it and cannot image living anywhere else.

The thing about Baxter, at least the old part, I cannot speak for the new, is they did the neighborhood right. Many places have tried this concept and not all have been successful. They spent the money to make it nice, with plenty of common areas.

We are 3 blocks from the elementary school and 2 from the YMCA.

5. We have a 9 year old and a 4 year old. The 9 year old plays outside all the time. There are plenty of parents sitting on the porches, looking out for each other's kids. Plus, you kids should be a welcome addition to your street as sitters, should they have that desire.

6. We lucked up and found a by owner in the older section with 4000 square feet. We thought the older section was more charming.

Please let me know if you want to know anything else.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 AM

80 posts, read 345,346 times
Thanks so much for your reply! Are my kids old for the neighborhood do you think? My 14 year old loves kids and really enjoys babysitting, but would like to make friends her age as well.

Is there a Baxter webpage where 'sale by owners' are posted perhaps?

Thanks again!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:56 PM

No, she isn't too old for the neighborhood at all. Everyweekend, there are pre-teen and teenagers around the town center. The YMCA is a great place to meet people as well.

There isn't a FSBO site that I know of for Baxter.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:33 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,446 times
Hi and I hope you choose baxter! It is everything and more that you can imagine. Here are my answers:

1. You will meet tons of people just walking around and hanging out on the porch or backyard. Attend the functions too especially the ones on your block, someone has something all the time. Most of the time when we have new neighbors, someone hosts some sort of "get to know ya" social.

2. Yes, I have come across two people total in the over three years that I have lived here that came across as "unfriendly". I guess there are those types everywhere!

3. Yes, yes and YES! I try not to go out to eat that much but we are at the park or walking at least 2-3 nights a week

4. Not for me although my old next door neighbor did move out to the country on 7 acres last year. I don't think they have anything negative to say just that they were ready to make that change and also wanted to cash in on the appreciation on their house. They made over $120,000 (not including realtor commissions) on their house in just under three years. If I don't want to be bothered by people I sit in the back.

5. I have a young child (turning 5 next week). I am thinking that when he reaches 10 or 11 I will let him go to the park without an adult. It is just two blocks up from us though. We live near but not on a culdesac (four houses up) and I have told him that when he is six, he can go down to the culdesac with a friend! Many kindergarteners do go down to the culdesac without "direct" adult supervision or within the general area of their houses. As it is he can play in the backyard or front without me totally hovering!

6. Yes I believe so. I live near the town center and it is becoming much more "charming" than it did three years ago when I moved in. The trees are getting bigger and there isn't any new construction anymore (I think that takes away more of the appeal. I am not familiar with where or how many greenspaces there are near the new pool but I think ya'll have access to more of the trails. When we go walking we always end up over there anyway!

Good luck. People do tend to list their FSBOs on the Baxter Bulletin board which is only available to Baxter residents.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:02 AM

18 posts, read 46,616 times
We too are looking at Baxter and see that some of the newer home lots are around electrial poles. Does anyone know how close is too close?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:12 AM

116 posts, read 513,837 times
Default baxter village

Does baxter village have any rentals ,where i can rent between 800-900 dollars

Old 06-06-2007, 07:49 AM

I noticed alot of the new lots are close to those transmission lines. I don't know how close is too close, I would guess a good hour on google would help out with that.

there are townhomes and homes for rent. Not sure of the prices...

Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 PM

35 posts, read 138,926 times
Default they have right of way on power lines for a reason

I work for a Power company and can tell you that as long as you do not live in the right of way you are fine. In fact most microware ovens will leak more electro-magnetic energy into your kitchen then can be felt from the power lines out back of the house.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:05 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
But we only use microwaves a couple minutes a day, do not always stand in fron of them. The power lines are there and on 24/7 barring a disaster. I would not buy a house within half a mile of those giant power poles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties