Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 12:24 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,744,358 times

Advertisements

In the Most Engaging Poster contests, it does. But as the rules specify, not just any thread. And an equivalent post in a thread might be just as good.

- ability of the contestant to motivate other forum users to create informative posts by starting engaging forum threads or by posting engaging posts, without provoking emotional responses or disrupting normal on-topic discussion
- ability of the contestant to bring up and sustain discussions of topics that have not been previously extensively discussed in a given forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 12:02 PM

10,088 posts, read 7,763,936 times
Just from what I noticed in one forum, this one guy at the last minute of the quarter ending, brought up very old posts and many many of them to post a quick one liner response. Threads were from a year or so ago. I thought to myself WTH is this guy doing. I questioned this guy and my response was removed by the admin. There was a whole page of old threads plus more, that he was bringing up to respond on. Shortly after I saw that he had the '$500.00 dollar winner' above his name and then it made sense why he was bring up old threads and so many of them so that makes me think it's not based so much on engaging as it is how many posts you can make. I think quantity weighs highly....and not so much engaging.

The only issue I have with a contest such as this is that it encourages people to post so they can win a 500.00 contest. They aren't here and posting to be helpful or engaging but to win a contest. Engaging might not be coming from the heart or good intentions but to win some money.

I figured it might be better to just offer 50.00 to posters. This wouldn't encourage people to be in it to win it. They wouldn't be here so much just for the money. Why not change up the contest every so often? Have different criteria each time. Shake things up. Offer different money amnts, different criteria or let the members decide or vote on posters and that type thing. Maybe someone that received the most reps? Give everyone a chance. Make it more fun.

Oh well....no biggy. I just find the whole thing interesting. Thanks admins for your responses to my questions.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:02 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Because their infractions expire at some point. Also, not all people who get infractions get banned, and continue to post without any problems at all. In addition, many members post some really wonderful posts, and disqualifying ALL their posts just because of ONE infraction that was caused by ONE post - is pretty mean-spirited.

Sort of like saying the guy who stole a candy-bar from the corner drugstore when he was 10 years old is not ever allowed to run for office, or become a cop.

Well yes that had crossed my mind. If you have done the crime and served the time, all should be forgiven, - start with a clean slate and so on right?

Except that, as far as I understand, mods aren't usually in the habit of doling out infractions willy-nilly. You have to have posted something pretty darned beyond mean-spirited to get an infraction right? Or maybe I've just been really lucky with the mods on the board I've posted on, but they generally seem really fair.

My other thought is this: The contest winner icons are like little representative badge of honour. When you come across a previous winner you can generally see that they are well deserved. Although maybe not the intention of the contest, they are sort of setting an example of how to conduct yourself on the forum. - Except that this isn't always the case.
As other people have mentioned there are a few previous winners that don't live up to that. I remember one winner expressing hatred for an entire nation of people (unjustifiably so) and I remember thinking 'this person won a contest???' Obviously I have no idea if that person has a history of infractions or not, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Just my observations. No contest rules are going to be perfect so I was just offering my two cents.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:10 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times
Hi. What does the number mean to the right of the, "There are only X days left in our Contest" tag?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:17 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Harrier likes his chicken spicy. (Seinfeld reference. Sorry, I just had to do it.)
Jimmy does too

but no soup for you

Old 05-03-2014, 03:24 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Hi. What does the number mean to the right of the, "There are only X days left in our Contest" tag?
The number of posts you've made since entering the contest.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:02 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
I had 420 posts showing but it just got reset to 0. Not sure why

Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I had 420 posts showing but it just got reset to 0. Not sure why
it means it's being calculated again and will show you a higher number than 420 shortly

Old 05-05-2014, 12:14 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
it means it's being calculated again and will show you a higher number than 420 shortly
Thanks. Id never noticed it going to 0 but rather just being a higher number when id come back on.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:03 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
So you just enter the contest and all posts are capable of being rewarded?? You don't have to submit a post or anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum