Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:48 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,455,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Hard to imagine someone reading all the posts. I'd think there would be tons and tons.

I always enter but would never win. I might have at most 30 posts during the duration of the contest. Too many others on the boards all the time. I see a lot of the same posters that seem to live on City Data.

Out of curiosity, where does the 500.00 come from? I don't see any ads on this site so that had me wondering.
Non-members (or members who don't sign in for some reason) see the advertising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 06:28 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,696,185 times
I think mods should be exempt.

I notice one winner constantly arguing and putting down other members with a know-it-all attitude, and it's been noted by members within the threads. And belittles those who have different opinions, even removing posts at will. But still, that person wins. Those who have the ability to remove posts made by others should not qualify, imo.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,057,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

I notice one winner constantly arguing and putting down other members with a know-it-all attitude, and it's been noted by members within the threads. And belittles those who have different opinions, even removing posts at will. But still, that person wins. Those who have the ability to remove posts made by others should not qualify, imo.

I have to agree with the idea of making moderators ineligible. This would be analogous to the standard practice of excluding the employees of companies running promotional contests from participating in those contests. The participation of posters who have the right to edit and remove the posts of others, and who are in a position to close a thread at whim, clearly constitutes a conflict of interest.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 PM

43,372 posts, read 77,281,824 times
I think it is a proven fact that ANYTHING can be overthought.

Quibbling about Engagement of volunteer support staff in a voluntary event is proof positive of that contention.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,057,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think it is a proven fact that ANYTHING can be overthought.

Quibbling about Engagement of volunteer support staff in a voluntary event is proof positive of that contention.
Indeed, anything can be over thought, in the same sense that any potential conflicts of interest can be ignored.

The fact that moderators volunteer their engagement with the website is admirable, and I respect and thank the vast majority of moderators who do a great job.

Any contest in which one chooses to enter, is a "voluntary event" by definition. The question is whether or not individuals in a hierarchically-defined position to control the content posted by others, should be allowed to participate in a contest which is determined by the content of posts. If the administrators are good with it, it is what it is. However, it does represent a conflict of interest.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 PM

43,372 posts, read 77,281,824 times
To prove that I can overthink with the best of them: I want my entrance fee back!
DOH!

There is NO conflict of interest in Mods Engaging in the forum and entering the contest. None. They are first and foremost CD Members and many contribute daily to the forums I visit. There is really nothing at stake (entrance fees or taxes or penny jar contributions from CD Member contestants) creating a financial risk to the contestants regardless of who wins. The contest is not important enough in the greater scheme of things to present such a consideration in any serious light.

If TPTB decide to award 100% of any prizes to moderators, I would consider myself undiminished, undamaged, and unconflicted.

It is always unfortunate, however, when something as innocuous as a forum contest brings out baseless negativity and quibbling.
Negativity and quibbling, OTOH, do conflict with any real interest a member may have in being considered "Engaging" by the CD community, which is actually significantly more interesting than how Mods consider a member.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-16-2014 at 09:18 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 09:35 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,886,014 times
Question *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper
How come buddy??

In these contests I DONT THINK ANYONE IS LOOKED AT ANY DIFFERENT.... (All people who enter are on the same level)

Old 04-17-2014, 03:43 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,276,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I have to agree with the idea of making moderators ineligible. This would be analogous to the standard practice of excluding the employees of companies running promotional contests from participating in those contests. The participation of posters who have the right to edit and remove the posts of others, and who are in a position to close a thread at whim, clearly constitutes a conflict of interest.
Employees are excluded. Moderators are not employees and their ability to delete posts has no influence on the contest. It might have, if they could see who is going to win and then try and improve their chances by deleting the competitors. The way the contests are organized, moderators have no access to even see who signed up, not to mention anyone's position during the contest.

There are several thousand people participating in each edition and they post all over the forums. It's impossible for any moderator to even guess their competition. Add to that the fact that no moderator can edit or delete anything so that other mods or staff won't see it. We don't allow random, unfounded deletions. Of course, mistakes happen and so do overzealous moderators but it has nothing to do with the contests.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,886,014 times
Why are employees not allowed to enter Marka??

You guys can be fair also!!!!!!! -- No reason to have to cheat,I dunno why you wouldnt want employee's to try..... (If they are fair and square about it that is)

Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 AM

10,537 posts, read 6,184,072 times
I don't see a problem with moderators winning. If anything I'd be happy to see the prize money divided up between the moderators as a sort of reward for what they do. 99% of them do a great job and it's a thankless task.

I'm still curious though why infracted members are eligible as per my question earlier in the thread?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Thanks, that is useful.
Can I ask a genuine question though, based on the bolded criteria?
I have seen asked many times on these competition threads, whether posters who have been infracted at some point are still eligible to enter and win, and the response from moderators has always been yes, they are.
Just curious. I have never understood why infracted posters are still eligible for these contests given that they have probably posted something way beyond provoking an emotional response or disrupting a discussion etc? I hope that seems like a fair question?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum