Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:05 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
Well, that pretty much covers it.
If that covers it, then every post that gets legal responses is "engaging". A lower threshhold than I would have thought.

Still doesn't address the thread starting issue. Good luck to those who want to be, or are, engaged as the rules describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 03:03 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,748,365 times
Marka's response is far from complete here. There is a much better list of criteria in the rules:
  1. ability of the contestant to motivate other forum users to create informative posts by starting engaging forum threads or by posting engaging posts, without provoking emotional responses or disrupting normal on-topic discussion
  2. ability of the contestant to bring up and sustain discussions of topics that have not been previously extensively discussed in a given forum
  3. total amount of unique information presented in posts
  4. educational value of posts to potential future readers
  5. insightfulness of posts
  6. formatting, spelling, grammar, and presentation of information
  7. usefulness of information to potential future readers
  8. variety of information presented
  9. up-to-dateness of information
  10. whether the submission adheres to these Rules
As you can see, starting just any threads is not enough. The responses need to be informative. And it's just one of many criteria. Previous winners in the "Engaging" contests haven't started a huge number of threads.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:11 PM

44,381 posts, read 20,099,777 times
Thanks for the additional information, Administrator.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 PM

10,537 posts, read 6,181,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Marka's response is far from complete here. There is a much better list of criteria in the rules:
  1. ability of the contestant to motivate other forum users to create informative posts by starting engaging forum threads or by posting engaging posts, without provoking emotional responses or disrupting normal on-topic discussion
  2. ability of the contestant to bring up and sustain discussions of topics that have not been previously extensively discussed in a given forum
  3. total amount of unique information presented in posts
  4. educational value of posts to potential future readers
  5. insightfulness of posts
  6. formatting, spelling, grammar, and presentation of information
  7. usefulness of information to potential future readers
  8. variety of information presented
  9. up-to-dateness of information
  10. whether the submission adheres to these Rules
[LEFT]As you can see, starting just any threads is not enough. The responses need to be informative. And it's just one of many criteria. Previous winners in the "Engaging" contests haven't started a huge number of threads.
[/LEFT]

Thanks, that is useful.
Can I ask a genuine question though, based on the bolded criteria?
I have seen asked many times on these competition threads, whether posters who have been infracted at some point are still eligible to enter and win, and the response from moderators has always been yes, they are.
Just curious. I have never understood why infracted posters are still eligible for these contests given that they have probably posted something way beyond provoking an emotional response or disrupting a discussion etc? I hope that seems like a fair question?

Old 04-02-2014, 03:00 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,879,314 times
Question *

I signed up for this contest again but I dont see anything on top like I did before counting my posts... Whats going on guys??

Old 04-02-2014, 03:54 PM

7,103 posts, read 6,000,092 times
I've never in my 41 years ever won anything, but hey, there's always tomorrow! Good luck everyone, I wish major JuJu for everyone!

Old 04-02-2014, 04:46 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,056,992 times
In looking over the posting histories of many of those who have won, my perception (anecdotal as it may be) is that there are a couple of patterns that stand out. Firstly, these are posters who tend to shy away from participating in discussions involving controversial subjects. Secondly, perhaps on a corresponding note; there seems to be a preference for a culturally safe, "Reader's Digest" style of input: concise, not likely to offend many people, and more likely to involve exchanges relating to personal domestic subjects (best local schools, best Italian restaurants, best neighborhoods for ___, etc.).

Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 PM

7,103 posts, read 6,000,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
In looking over the posting histories of many of those who have won, my perception (anecdotal as it may be) is that there are a couple of patterns that stand out. Firstly, these are posters who tend to shy away from participating in discussions involving controversial subjects. Secondly, perhaps on a corresponding note; there seems to be a preference for a culturally safe, "Reader's Digest" style of input: concise, not likely to offend many people, and more likely to involve exchanges relating to personal domestic subjects (best local schools, best Italian restaurants, best neighborhoods for ___, etc.).
I would say that is a very good analysis. I am fairly new here, but love the ability to help others get the info they need. It's a love for our cities/towns/states etc, and the desire to help others that drive us to an open forum like this.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,262,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I remember the first time I entered this "Engaging" contest I posted very-well researched and informed posts (I am after all a research scientist, it is in my nature) with factual information backing up my words. As it turned out, I did not win. I must admit it was a bit frustrating to see that one of the winners was a member who churned out numerous to-the-point posts.

I am not suggesting that I should have won, far from it. I am however saying that it appears to me as well that shorter, no frills, posts count for more "points", if you will.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:39 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,262,025 times
As an aside; it is great that that more posters will have an opportunity to win during this installment, but why will all ten winners receive the same monetary amount? I mean, why no top dog poster for this round?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum