Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 PM

471 posts, read 1,509,773 times

Advertisements

What are the best photo sharing websites in regard to not running across any half naked pictures of people?

Are there any that are just nature photo sharing websites?

I posted my 1st pic of a great blue heron on the Wyoming forum, but some people, maybe no people, can see it (I can though.)

I've studied things up here and did the best I could, but there is a message about resizing above the picture I posted and the problem that at least some people can't see it.

Someone suggested photo sharing websites... so I was wondering what the good ones were.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,058,305 times
I think we need to define the difference between a photo sharing site and a photo hosting (or sharing) site that allows transferring.

What you're referring to, emeraldsky, is a hosting site that allows transfers. There are many photo sharing sites that do not allow transfers or allow transfers only to members paying for that service.

You're right, if you try to transfer a photo to a post on C-D forums from a hosting site that does not allow transfers, you may be able to see the photo (in some cases) but all other members will see either nothing at all, the infamous "red x," or a message that the photo is unavailable.

The two free ones that come to my mind immediately which allow free transfers are photobucket and flickr. I tend to recommend photobucket because it seems more user friendly to me but now that Yahoo controls flickr, it seems to be getting better.

There may be others but those are the two that I use exclusively because they are free and allow multiple registrations.

You can also use this site as a host for your photos by using the "attachment" feature to post a photo in a post. See option #2 in this post for step-by-step instructions.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM

Thank you scirocco22 for your input. The instructions you linked to were the ones I tried to follow. I was confused about the "displaying them in proper size part" and maybe that's where I went wrong.

I guess I am wondering... if you use C-D to host your picture (thank you C-D) can you post it without the "this message was resized" stuff written above the top of your picture?

And the fact that at least one poster can't see it, does that mean I just did it wrong?

Thanks much for your help.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:39 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,058,305 times
I'm thinking that unless you attach the photo in a smaller size initially, then it's going to be automatically resized by the forum's software and consequently the label of "this image was resized" will appear. I don't know for sure without trying it but that's my guess.

Yes, if somebody can't see it, then you probably did it wrong.

Can you give me the link to the post and I'll check it out for you.

edit: nevermind, I see you and ElkHunter got it figured out. Photobucket is simple and easy to use and it looks like you got it down.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
I use PhotoBucket's paid option to host the thousands of images I have contained in my photo tours, and I have been VERY pleased with my tenure utilizing their service.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:59 PM

Thanks scirocco22 for checking up on that.

And thanks for the photobucket input SWB. I was glad it was easy to download and transfer, and that I can post pictures now. Hooray...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum