Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 04:53 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,351,032 times

Advertisements

How are winners notified - email can be kinda wonky sometimes. Does a mod send a pvt message? Then, do they ask real name and address and ssn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,880,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
How are winners notified - email can be kinda wonky sometimes. Does a mod send a pvt message? Then, do they ask real name and address and ssn?
I seem to recall I got a letter in the mail from the Company which operates City-Data.

I do not remember exactly, but I had to provide my real name and real address and then I got the check in the mail.

I did not get notified by any mod.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:26 PM

61,998 posts, read 87,653,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I seem to recall I got a letter in the mail from the Company which operates City-Data.

I do not remember exactly, but I had to provide my real name and real address and then I got the check in the mail.

^^^ This ^^^
No SS#

Old 07-13-2017, 07:11 PM

Sorry if I'm sounding dense, but how can C-D/company send you a letter in the mail if they only have a user screen name?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:35 AM

107,091 posts, read 109,424,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

The notifications i got were all via direct message.i then provided name and mailing address

Old 07-14-2017, 05:51 AM

43,431 posts, read 77,376,329 times
Quote:

Sorry if I'm sounding dense, but how can C-D/company send you a letter in the mail if they only have a user screen name?
Oh, but you will give up your information to get payola.

You first get a DM from the Emperor.
Here's what I got:

Administrator
Administrator
3,095 posts, read 2,077,386 times

You won the $500 prize in our contest!

Congratulations! You won the $500 prize in our contest!

We will need your real name and address in order to send you the check. Please remember that you will be responsible for all taxes due to winning of this prize.

Please confirm in writing that you do not fit the definition of "Employees, contractors, as well as their immediate families, of Advameg, its affiliates, and any representatives or agencies of Advameg or other persons professionally connected with the Contest" and that you are 18 years old or older.

You might be eligible to win future contests depending on the rules.

We'd appreciate it if you answered questions other users might have about your win, for example, to confirm that you are not connected to Advameg or to encourage others to participate in future contests.

We're hoping to hear from you as soon as possible. We will email you if we don't get a response to this DM.

Congrats again and thank you for all your contributions to our forum!

Old 07-14-2017, 06:27 AM

50,443 posts, read 64,273,051 times
Quote:

They send a direct message and a winner must provide a name and address. You must answer some questions, like attest that your over 18, as I remember. Then they physically mail you a check.

Funny, but I was surprised when I got the check that a human being with a blue pen had physically written the check. I expected a computer printed, less personal looking one. It was like, a shock, in the impersonal, anonymous world of CD.

Last edited by gentlearts; 07-14-2017 at 07:12 AM..

Old 07-14-2017, 06:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,439,885 times
Quote:
You'll get a private message from CD admin asking you to respond with just your mailing address,a week or so later you'll get your check.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 AM

61,998 posts, read 87,653,804 times
Geez... people get so anxious and worked up about the contest.
What about wait first, and see if you won anything then ask questions about what if.
It's a contest! Wait and see. It's not the first one, and the Administrator knows what he is doing. Whoever win will be notified, and all will be explained. There is nothing illegal, or difficult about it.
Relax!!

Old 07-14-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Oh, but you will give up your information to get payola.

You first get a DM from the Emperor.
Here's what I got:

Administrator
Administrator
3,095 posts, read 2,077,386 times

You won the $500 prize in our contest!

Congratulations! You won the $500 prize in our contest!

We will need your real name and address in order to send you the check. Please remember that you will be responsible for all taxes due to winning of this prize.

Please confirm in writing that you do not fit the definition of "Employees, contractors, as well as their immediate families, of Advameg, its affiliates, and any representatives or agencies of Advameg or other persons professionally connected with the Contest" and that you are 18 years old or older.

You might be eligible to win future contests depending on the rules.

We'd appreciate it if you answered questions other users might have about your win, for example, to confirm that you are not connected to Advameg or to encourage others to participate in future contests.

We're hoping to hear from you as soon as possible. We will email you if we don't get a response to this DM.

Congrats again and thank you for all your contributions to our forum!
THANKS! It finally sunk in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum