Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 PM

522 posts, read 1,430,095 times

Advertisements

There are several "photo threads" devoted to States and Cities, which attract alot of attention, since people love to be able to see the areas described in the forums and threads.
As much as they try to stick to "pictures", naturally there are conversations included, and often someone hits the 'quote with reply' and loads the same pics over and over. Most of us aren't that familiar with how to include, and resize pics, so there's no set format for viewing.
Also, even though I have a fast connection, MANY PEOPLE use dial-up, and basically give up on threads with large images.

Here's my point:
I discovered that if you click on the 'paper clip' next to the thread title, you can:
1. view the number of attachments in the thread
and
2. you can get a concise list of those attachments, which can be opened with a single click, WITHOUT EVERY HAVING TO GO THROUGH THE THREAD POSTS.

I LIKE this feature, and think others would use it alot, if they knew about it, AND if THE FILENAME WAS DESCRIPTIVE.
I know that when I first learned how to upload attachments, it took forever because I couldn't find any clear, easy to access, instructions on CD. It's in there, but buried, like many things.
So, most of my attachments have the same obscure filename from my computer.

My questions:
1. Is it possible for me to rename the attachments I've uploaded so that it can be easily identified?
2. Can this be suggested to CD users: that people consider 'renaming attachments' before, or when they upload it, in some meaningful, descriptive way? If they upload more than 1 of the same or similar area/thing, they could easily add a number 1, 2 etc. to the filename.
3. Can this feature be suggested to CD users who would like easy access to pictures of various locations?

I think many would agree with me, that pictures speak volumes, and would love to be able to 'peek' at the pics before they even go to the thread.
As it is now, the list of attachments in each thread is pretty useless, unless you know the exact name of a file.

Any possibility? Anyone else out there have thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum