Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:43 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I certainly got a primer on comic book characters. I actually don't remember ever reading any comic books although I did read a few comics in the papers. Guess there is a whole other world out there. Is this what Comicom is all about. It's often mentioned on Big Bang Theory.
Is it ok to hijack your own thread?
Except ComicCon involves a lot of people dressed in costume. One of my friends owns a comics store (not the creepy kind) - there is an elaborate culture surrounding comics and sci-fi.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 05-16-2012 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 11:57 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They are not saying he is a killer because he's adopted.

They are pointing out that Thor and his brother are different.
He is making a joke about WHY they are different.

I agree...it's not that funny.
That's exactly what I thought when I read the line too. I didn't take it to mean that the character is a killer or bad because he's adopted.
My sister is very different from the rest of the family and it's a common joke in our family that she must be adopted or switched at birth. Not because she's bad but simply because she's different. That's what I took the Avengers joke to mean too.

I read a blog recently written by an adoptee who was upset about adopted people being portrayed as evil or damaged in movies and other media. I'm not adopted so maybe I'm not as sensitive to it but I really can't say that I've noticed anything like that. I definitely haven't seen adoptees being portrayed as villains. But maybe I just haven't paid attention. I don't know.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Except ComicCon involves a lot of people dressed in costume. One of my friends owns a comics store (not the creepy kind) - there is an elaborate culture surrounding comics and sci-fi.
Yep...ComicCon is nerd mecca. You can look up ComicCon Cosplay to see all the pretty costumes.

I'm a HUGE nerd (and proud!). My con of choice is actually PAX (Penny Arcade Expo), which is like ComicCon but for video games and tabletop games (think Dungeons and Dragons). It's something I honestly look forward to all year.

I understand why people are upset about the line, but I'm really not sure where the "he's saying Loki kills because he's adopted" thing is coming from. I guess if you just read the lines straight off the paper you could get the impression, but context and tone is everything. And again, I think people have to consider the back story for these two characters.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:23 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
My kids were adopted. I don't think its offensive.

The only time I've ever been offended by a media adoption moment was a few years ago when America's Favorite Mom (hosted by adoptive mom Marie Osmond!) had a category for adoptive moms called "Non-Moms." That ticked me off.

Stupid adoption jokes...nope doesn't bug me.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:04 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post

The only time I've ever been offended by a media adoption moment was a few years ago when America's Favorite Mom (hosted by adoptive mom Marie Osmond!) had a category for adoptive moms called "Non-Moms." That ticked me off.

Stupid adoption jokes...nope doesn't bug me.
Wow. That is impressively insensitive. Like they had to go out of their way to come up with that one.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post

Seriously? What the heck did she mean by "Non-moms"?

I'm not adopted and I don't have adopted kids (although I hope to adopt in the future) but I still get really bothered when adoptive parents and children are not seen as "full" parents or kids like biological ones are. You often see people in the media being referred to as so-and-so's "adoptive son" or "adoptive mother" instead of just son and mother. Why does it have to be pointed out how they became family? You don't refer to people as biological child and parent. I recently read something about Tom Cruise and it mentioned "his daughter" and "his adopted daughter". That's frankly ridiculous. He has two daughters. That's it. One if no more or less his daughter and I think it's a shame that the media doesn't recognize that and chooses to differentiate.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Guess there is a whole other world out there. Is this what Comicom is all about. It's often mentioned on Big Bang Theory.
Is it ok to hijack your own thread?
Oh yeah! Comic Con is the best for comic nerds and gamer geeks,lol!

*and yes IMO it's perfectly acceptable to hijack your own thread!

Quote:
Oh yes, costumes are HUGE! I have dressed up once before and it's fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Yep...ComicCon is nerd mecca. You can look up ComicCon Cosplay to see all the pretty costumes.

I'm a HUGE nerd (and proud!). My con of choice is actually PAX (Penny Arcade Expo), which is like ComicCon but for video games and tabletop games (think Dungeons and Dragons). It's something I honestly look forward to all year.
PAX is cool, but I prefer DragonCon or Games Day for my table games (I play WH40K), and Comic Con for just the in your face fun ya know?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Oh yeah! Comic Con is the best for comic nerds and gamer geeks,lol!

*and yes IMO it's perfectly acceptable to hijack your own thread!

Oh yes, costumes are HUGE! I have dressed up once before and it's fun!

PAX is cool, but I prefer DragonCon or Games Day for my table games (I play WH40K), and Comic Con for just the in your face fun ya know?
Geeks unite! Friends of mine brought their 3yo to a ComicCon with a superhero shirt over a long-sleeved t-shirt and a name tag reading "Hi! My name is Dr. Sheldon Cooper." Totally adorable!

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 05-17-2012 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 11:22 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Geeks unite! Friends of mine brought their 3yo to a ComicCon with a superhero shirt over a long-sleeved t-shirt and a name tag reading "Hi! My name is Dr. Sheldon Cooper." Totally adorable!
ROFL! That is cute.

I remember our 1st Halloween after the kiddo was born, she was 4 months old, and we dressed her up like Pikachau, I dressed like Lara Croft, and he dressed up like Indiana Jones. Totally fun, and we have dressed like that since, only with the kiddo switching out to either Hermonie Granger, or Bat girl, or Princess Peach, lol.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
ROFL! That is cute.

I remember our 1st Halloween after the kiddo was born, she was 4 months old, and we dressed her up like Pikachau, I dressed like Lara Croft, and he dressed up like Indiana Jones. Totally fun, and we have dressed like that since, only with the kiddo switching out to either Hermonie Granger, or Bat girl, or Princess Peach, lol.
Love it! This is the best deviation from thread topic I've seen in awhile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption