Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 03:39 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,959,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
You did not read the previous posting,western nations did not invent nor own Christianity,european themselves converted to Christianism thanks the Middle East Churches.
Actually,Christianism is also an african religion.

Africans don't have to thank anyone for any religion,Africans have every right to complain about european interference in their internal business.

Africans don't stick their nose into european internal affairs,european need to learn to respect african sovereignty.
Christianity was not a European religion originally, but the denominations that are common in most of Africa arrived with the European colonial powers (and from related countries). The fact that there is a much older tradition of Christianity in Ethiopia that predates the European version is irrelevant because that is not what the church leaders quoted in the article belong to. Instead the article quoted an Anglican (Church of ENGLAND) a Pentecostalist (US and UK origin from the early 20th century), and some other (non-Ethiopian) clergy. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some members of the more conservative Protestant denominations don't even consider the Ethiopian Coptic church to be a proper Christian denomination. Yes, that would be a very insulting attitude, but it wouldn't surprise me given what I've seen of religious fundamentalism.

Last edited by xeric; 03-19-2014 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 03:57 PM

45 posts, read 103,113 times
I think it's safe to say that homosexuality existed in all cultures since the dawn of humanity. Practically all literate cultures recorded instances of it since ancient times.

Whether or not it was accepted would be different in each case.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:29 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,595,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You really want to justify your bigotry with that excuse? You want to justify your bigotry by saying that because Africans were not intelligent enough to create their own written language that gay people didn't exist? It is a shame that Africa didn't have written languages to record their culture. Africa didn't write anything down prior to contact with the Middle East or Europe!

I will ask you then! What was ancient Africa like? What occurred on the dark continent before the other parts of the world brought them alphabets?
The bigot is the one who tries to justify anything with lies .
I'm still waiting for your evidence.
How do you know africans did not have written languages ?
Not true,Africa did have written languages,i assume you're uneducated about Africa
If you don't know,just say it,don't invent stories to justify a lie.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanturner View Post
I think it's safe to say that homosexuality existed in all cultures since the dawn of humanity. Practically all literate cultures recorded instances of it since ancient times.

Whether or not it was accepted would be different in each case.
Sorry, if don't see any written proof of it,i assume it did not exist or if it did,it disappeared.
It also doesn't mean much,dinosaurs may have existed a long time ago,they don't exist now,should we re-create them in-vitro ?

Old 03-19-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Christianity was not a European religion originally, but the denominations that are common in most of Africa arrived with the European colonial powers (and from related countries). The fact that there is a much older tradition of Christianity in Ethiopia that predates the European version is irrelevant because that is not what the church leaders quoted in the article belong to. Instead the article quoted an Anglican (Church of ENGLAND) a Pentecostalist (US and UK origin from the early 20th century), and some other (non-Ethiopian) clergy. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some members of the more conservative Protestant denominations don't even consider the Ethiopian Coptic church to be a proper Christian denomination. Yes, that would be a very insulting attitude, but it wouldn't surprise me given what I've seen of religious fundamentalism.
It is also true,the other way around,Catholics think protestantism is not a r true christian religion ?
What do you have to say to that ?
The orthodox Church of Orient is for most christians the oldest Christian religion and that everything else is a joke.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:57 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
Quote:
Africans don't have to thank anyone for any religion,Africans have every right to complain about european interference in their internal business.

Africans don't stick their nose into european internal affairs,european need to learn to respect african sovereignty.
No? Then why do so many desperately want to immigrate to Europe?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:00 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
Quote:
The bigot is the one who tries to justify anything with lies .
I'm still waiting for your evidence.
How do you know africans did not have written languages ?
Not true,Africa did have written languages,i assume you're uneducated about Africa
If you don't know,just say it,don't invent stories to justify a lie.
Which is what you are doing. What evidence do you have that there were any written African languages?? Also, as far as Christianity, the bible clearly favored slavery, and also suggested blacks were inferior to whites. Blacks were referred to as the sons and daughters of Hamm. So, if the original point was to justify the severe oppression gays face through religion in Africa, there is plenty of other scripture that suggests blacks were damned too.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:24 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
No? Then why do so many desperately want to immigrate to Europe?
What does immigrating to a certain country have to do with African nations not liking to get involved in foreign affairs.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:41 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,003,235 times
Europeans/western whites have bought into the idea that Christianity is theirs. Certainly they've used it as a tool to greater effect than anyone could have imagined 2,000 years ago. However, they merely adopted the religion, they didn't start it...contrary to the many white-ish looking images of Jesus suggest.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM

808 posts, read 1,879,556 times
So are African nations going to stop speaking English and French since those are colonial imports?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa