Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:28 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,160 times

Advertisements

Ohio.com - Signatures add up to likely election (http://www.ohio.com/news/44761782.html - broken link)

Can't believe no one mentioned this yet. Any one have any thoughts? Personally, I don't understand it. Wasn't the 'Don just elected a year ago? If the city doesn't vote this Mendenhall in then the tax payers should be very angry with the 4% of the population who signed the recall petition. This special election isn't cheap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 PM

436 posts, read 1,648,203 times
Is he really that bad? (Don P.)

Old 05-13-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrrl77 View Post
No, but Mendenhall & Co. claim he's corrupt and broke multiple laws while in office. Until I see evidence, I'm looking at this goofball(Mendenhall) as some greedy politician looking to capitalize off of the 4% of Akronites who didn't vote for the Don.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 PM

13 posts, read 78,279 times
He does do those things..... BUT...my point is--- who will replace him??? Good god. Joe findley?? from the last election cycle??? (the election was a nice neck and neck race if I do recall) so, I mean people ARE not fully happy with him.... BUT---

Until someone dynamic as hell comes aorund-- I say leave it alone--- do we want akron to drown even more???

Mayor don isnt our fav... nope..... But he has been around enuf to make frineds- enemies- have favors- and was the head of the league of mayors for a while......

leave him alone...

I have known mendenahll for years and know for a fact he has and truly truly believes he is a corrupt mayor......

and I do as well....

but... my point... who you have thats any better??? cuz we havent seen them in over 20 years!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:24 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
Quote:
WORSE!!!!!
HE IS A POWER HUNGRY RULER OF AKRON AND HE HAS DISCIPLES CALLED THE CITY COUNCIL WHO COWER AND PASS ANYTHING WITHOUT QUESTION.....ie:
Young's rest. $750 k before roofing and asbestos removal,and for what ? his buddy Brown wanted to sell it.
the downtown buildings he bought ,remodeled and sold at near half the price to a buddy,if you drink with him and sell cars and get laid off.....you become a deputy mayor,Akron has nearly 3 times the deputy mayors as New York city.......and look at your beloved Highland Square? wheres the grocery? oh his buddy Steve is making 35k a week at Acme #1 since star mkt closed.
but then again......... I may be wrong.....

Old 05-14-2009, 04:37 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
why stop now?
its to early in the morning to get this sturred up over a corrupt mayor but look at his globe trotting bill,and for what purpose? he didnt bring back any jobs,he creates industrial parks and gets one tennant with 7 eemployees then does he look for another tennant...NOOOO he starts another Industrial park, and another,I have no affiliation with the recal, I dont live in the city limits and the biggest reason is don and his city council they all travel...some are to dumb to leave their guns at home before going to the airport but then the are smart enough to make calls on the future of Akron.....no way I moved out of their clutches and now the Don has created the joint economic so as to get money from the surrounding communities,.......downtown looks good but the rest of the city is in disrepair.......and Akron is a billion dollars in debt for what....a skating rink,and Mud Run to teach kids to play golf? (better teach them how to spell)
and what about firestone stadium over a million dollars for what?
I have to stop and take my heart meds......is he that bad........YES!!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 AM

Default Don & H.Square

lol! That last line made me laugh (sry)

well, I dunno. like i said, the grocery situation in the Square doesnt bother me, personally, because I just drive to Giant Eagle in Fairlawn (I hate Acme - doesnt matter which one and it's not because of who it's owned by - I just don't care for it).
Whoever designed that area and decided that corner lot for the grocery store was only to be that big is re-tard-ed though. I guess the only solution to that is to build up instead of out. Has anyone thought of that? I'm sure there would be some kind of opposition to that, though, on part of the HS residents - fully knowing how they took the whole billboard situation.

Whether it was Don P.'s fault or not - - basically, no one is ever going to be happy. It is what it is.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I guess the only solution to that is to build up instead of out. Has anyone thought of that?
Actually, yes. If you go to Highlandsquare.org, they posted all the videos to the community grocery forums. In one of the videos, someone brought up the idea of building up. From what I remember, they explained that the price goes up exponentially.

It's pretty sad to see some of these old women almost in tears yelling about the lack of a grocery store. Unlike others, the seniors in the area can't drive, so they've been getting groceries at Walgreen's for a few years. Do they even sell lunchmeat? If they do, I don't even want to imagine how bad it is.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Actually, yes. If you go to Highlandsquare.org, they posted all the videos to the community grocery forums. In one of the videos, someone brought up the idea of building up. From what I remember, they explained that the price goes up exponentially.

It's pretty sad to see some of these old women almost in tears yelling about the lack of a grocery store. Unlike others, the seniors in the area can't drive, so they've been getting groceries at Walgreen's for a few years. Do they even sell lunchmeat? If they do, I don't even want to imagine how bad it is.
I'm guessing that if they do sell lunch meat, then its probably the pre-packaged stuff. Ill have to watch the vid.
It is sad. And the cost goes up? Well, I guess that would be the downside to the horrible planning for that corner lot. It doesnt have to be a high-rise. Even two floors would probably be sufficient. I thought it was cheaper to build up as opposed to out because you are using less land square footage...or does that just apply to residential homes?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing that if they do sell lunch meat, then its probably the pre-packaged stuff. Ill have to watch the vid.
It is sad. And the cost goes up? Well, I guess that would be the downside to the horrible planning for that corner lot. It doesnt have to be a high-rise. Even two floors would probably be sufficient. I thought it was cheaper to build up as opposed to out because you are using less land square footage...or does that just apply to residential homes?
Hm, actually, looking over the videos again, they make it seem like it actually may be cheaper to build up. The people who work for that Albrecht guy tried to say that it's more expensive to build up. That's why I thought that. But a little after that there's an architect in the audience who claims its actually cheaper to build up.

That said, you're probably right. Up is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton