Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:29 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times

Advertisements

Well that was easy..

VOTES PERCENT
Against the recall of Don Plusquellic . 20,829 73.98
For the recall of Don Plusquellic . . 7,325 26.02

http://www.summitcountyboe.com/Elect...lect062309.htm

Ohio.com - Mayoral recall squashed (http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/48958306.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:58 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Well that was easy..

VOTES PERCENT
Against the recall of Don Plusquellic . 20,829 73.98
For the recall of Don Plusquellic . . 7,325 26.02

http://www.summitcountyboe.com/Elect...lect062309.htm

Ohio.com - Mayoral recall squashed (http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/48958306.html - broken link)

I really could've done a lot better things with $200,000.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:22 AM

566 posts, read 603,813 times
I don't understand what the recall was about. I haven't lived in akron for 5 years but, everytime I go up there its looking better and better. What did Don do wrong?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEOHIO View Post
I don't understand what the recall was about. I haven't lived in akron for 5 years but, everytime I go up there its looking better and better. What did Don do wrong?
From my best assessment what he did wrong is that he's a jerk.

Literally that's the best I can tell.

All the other gripes seem to be things that are par for the course in any "urban" city, and I think that's why the recall resoundingly failed.

The nice thing about not ever interacting with the mayor is that I can base my judgment solely on accomplishments and not personality. Hence, I thought the recall was a waste.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
From my best assessment what he did wrong is that he's a jerk.
Yeah, that's about it. They made a list of websites repeating the same insults. No vision. No strategy.

Quote:
The nice thing about not ever interacting with the mayor is that I can base my judgment solely on accomplishments and not personality. Hence, I thought the recall was a waste.
Yeah, you and the other 75% of the people who voted.
Quote:
I really could've done a lot better things with $200,000.
It's such a joke. A few thousand douchebags had the clout to decide that over 100,000 of taxpayer dollars should be spent.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:35 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,220 times
I think its a shame (but not surprising) that only 20% of the registered voters bothered to vote.
most don't know the things king Don does..the ABJ wont dare report any bad news about him.
The really sad part of the city is voters don't have a clue about what the mayor makes spends or does,but they all know every penny Lebron gets paid from each endorsement!
the Don has done many good things for the city,but he has wasted many tax dollars globe trotting around the world under the guise of bringing jobs back to Akron. does Don want to do whats best for Akron no doubt in my mind he does.
My problem is his ultimate say so ruling Akron,the city council are all puppets.
his bar buddies lose their jobs no problem Don creates a deputy mayor position @ 100k a year.....paid for with tax payers $,his Old buddy mark Williamson sits and answers emails @ over 100k a year! (Akron 13 deputy mayors.....NYC 6)
He wanted the police chief under his control so he had city council rewrite the charter taking the chief off civil service and under his control.
I could go on and on with tax payers money used to buy and remodel buildings only to sell to a associate under bringing jobs to Akron.
the bottom line is Akron had its chance and stuck their head into the sports page as usual......you want him you got him.........just don't walk the streets of Akron he wont waste money on the police or fire......enjoy his free concerts he gives you each friday.........its called pleasing the masses!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I think its a shame (but not surprising) that only 20% of the registered voters bothered to vote.
most don't know the things king Don does..the ABJ wont dare report any bad news about him.
The really sad part of the city is voters don't have a clue about what the mayor makes spends or does,but they all know every penny Lebron gets paid from each endorsement!
the Don has done many good things for the city,but he has wasted many tax dollars globe trotting around the world under the guise of bringing jobs back to Akron. does Don want to do whats best for Akron no doubt in my mind he does.
My problem is his ultimate say so ruling Akron,the city council are all puppets.
his bar buddies lose their jobs no problem Don creates a deputy mayor position @ 100k a year.....paid for with tax payers $,his Old buddy mark Williamson sits and answers emails @ over 100k a year! (Akron 13 deputy mayors.....NYC 6)
He wanted the police chief under his control so he had city council rewrite the charter taking the chief off civil service and under his control.
I could go on and on with tax payers money used to buy and remodel buildings only to sell to a associate under bringing jobs to Akron.
the bottom line is Akron had its chance and stuck their head into the sports page as usual......you want him you got him.........just don't walk the streets of Akron he wont waste money on the police or fire......enjoy his free concerts he gives you each friday.........its called pleasing the masses!
The one positive to the recall is I think it keeps city hall on their toes. I think things could be better, but overall in politics I think Akron's government does better than most post-industrial cities, and that's what I look at. I absolutely do not fault anyone for analyzing anything that goes on in the city as long as it is rational and not emotional (i.e. protests of police shootings of 5x felons with crack in their pocket and a pistol in their hand). Keeping an eye on things keeps everyone honest - or as honest as politics can be. The ongoing fiasco(s) in Cuyahoga County is a reminder that, at a minimum, "business as usual" should at least be scrutinized from time to time.

For the city... not every idea is going to be a winner. And I unfortunately don't think any government is going to be without its unnecessary wastes. But in comparing to Akron's peers I think it is going in as good a direction as could be expected.

And as far as "pleasing the masses," um, that's exactly what most government actions are about. Its why the recall failed (I'm not getting into the what-ifs of voter turnout) - if things suck that bad, and the masses aren't pleased, things will change... that doesn't always mean for the better, but they will change. And hopefully if enough masses are pleased, they will start coming in from elsewhere as well.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:13 AM

my point is that Akron citizens dont follow what the leaders do with their tax dollars,but they do care what the browns,cav's,indians (.....well maybe not the indians) do,and beer.
was the recall election a waste? well what about the "retreat" city council takes every year to salt fork lodge? isnt that a waste of tax payers money?

but who cares about that ........who did the browns trade for!
as you said the recall hopefully awoke the citizens of Akron to think about their vote in local elections....as for me I fire all incumbents with more than two terms,oh yeah.......look for city council to try and extend their terms from two years to four or maybe even six years.......and you can take that prediction to the bank!!!
in closing.....just where is the grocery store Don and Stevie promised highland sq.?????? see why I look as if Akrons glass is half full?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
my point is that Akron citizens dont follow what the leaders do with their tax dollars,but they do care what the browns,cav's,indians (.....well maybe not the indians) do,and beer.
was the recall election a waste? well what about the "retreat" city council takes every year to salt fork lodge? isnt that a waste of tax payers money?

but who cares about that ........who did the browns trade for!
as you said the recall hopefully awoke the citizens of Akron to think about their vote in local elections....as for me I fire all incumbents with more than two terms,oh yeah.......look for city council to try and extend their terms from two years to four or maybe even six years.......and you can take that prediction to the bank!!!
in closing.....just where is the grocery store Don and Stevie promised highland sq.?????? see why I look as if Akrons glass is half full?
That's one thing I think is disappointing. If you look at ABJ, or the PD, or really any local paper in the US that lists their top articles on their website by comments or views or emails or whatever, at least half (if not more, usually more) are sports related. Many times those are the top articles (as in #1) too. I remember looking at the PD when all of the scandal stuff was first breaking and the article about that was like # 7 or 8 and the rest was sports.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 AM

look at the farah fawcett vs wacko jacko......poor farah she fought long and hard and ends up being upstaged by a "alleged child rapist" the 24 hr. news media in america is sad.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton