Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 18,125 times

Advertisements

Hi -- I'm moving to Akron in mid-August for exactly 1 yr. Unfortunately, am not going to be able to visit the area prior to moving, so trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before the move.

I think, based on my research of this board and others, I would prefer to live in Cuyahoga Falls, Fairlawn, or Highland Square.

Here are my questions, appreciate any and all input:

1) What are the prevailing opinions on the following complexes? Hampton Knoll, Hunters Lake, Tower 80, Portage Lakes?

2) I have read that some parts of Cuyahoga have problems with a smell from a sewage treatment and/or compost plant? Does anyone know about this?

3) Are there any "must consider" or "definitely stay away" apartments in the higher-end apartments that I should know about?

4) How bad is the snow driving in the winter? I am a Californian who hasn't driven in snow in 10 years. Kind of apprehensive about it.

5) Any recommendations for health clubs in the area?

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 07:50 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Where will you be working? Are you young, old ,single, married?
If you are a young single, I'd concentrate on Fairlawn/Montrose area. There's a fabulous Life Center fitness center (run by Akron General Hospital) there, and mucho apartments filled with young professionals.
Some years there are a few snowstorms that will cripple the area for a day or two, but many years the weather doesn't slow anyone down at all.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 18,125 times
Thanks for your help! Good point - should have included more info: Working downtown, early 30s, married no children.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:01 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2Akron View Post
Hi -- I'm moving to Akron in mid-August for exactly 1 yr. Unfortunately, am not going to be able to visit the area prior to moving, so trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before the move.

I think, based on my research of this board and others, I would prefer to live in Cuyahoga Falls, Fairlawn, or Highland Square.

Quote:
1) What are the prevailing opinions on the following complexes? Hampton Knoll, Hunters Lake, Tower 80, Portage Lakes?
I don't have any experience with any, although I can say that if Portage Lakes is IN Portage Lakes you're going to be running a higher neighborhood white trash count than elsewhere. Sorry to be all uppity about it.

Quote:
2) I have read that some parts of Cuyahoga have problems with a smell from a sewage treatment and/or compost plant? Does anyone know about this?
The far northern part that used to be Northampton Township. If you look on the map where the streets are much less dense, that's the area.

Quote:
3) Are there any "must consider" or "definitely stay away" apartments in the higher-end apartments that I should know about?
Rent a house instead?

Quote:
4) How bad is the snow driving in the winter? I am a Californian who hasn't driven in snow in 10 years. Kind of apprehensive about it.
You're going to need to be careful. Most people that are used to it will tell you that 99% of the time it's no big deal. But if you aren't used to driving in ice and snow you need to be very, very careful. It's truly not a big issue, but you do have to be aware that it is different than driving somewhere where it never snows or is icy.

Main rules:

1.) Leave lots of distance between cars. Do not tailgate.

2.) If you do not have anti-lock brakes and you start to skid, pump your brakes. Sounds dumb, but it works.

3.) You must wash the undercarriage of your car or it will rust ... slowly, but it will happen. You may not be in a position to care depending on what your driving arrangements are.

4.) Black ice is real - you can't see it. Crews are good about salting but every now and then you'll run into it. See #1 and #5. And #2.

5.) Don't be a speeding douche on the expressway when it's snowing. Yes you can go 80 and if you hit any of #4 you're going to be getting towed out of the median.

Not to freak you out but I know the situation you're coming from/into. Just be careful and you'll be ok, and eventually you'll figure out what's safe for you and what you're comfortable with.

Quote:
Shaw JCC is very popular if you're on the west side. The old Jewish people do not fear nudity in the locker room, though. Bring your blindfold. (Ha)

Neighborhoods-

If you're looking for high end apartments you're probably going to have to go Fairlawn/Montrose. On the plus side, every chain anything under the sun is out there, but you're going to be driving (even if you live near where you want to go).

Highland Square ... the traditional mid-rise apartment buildings (at least the ones I've seen the inside of) seem to skew more mid-grade. If you like old architecture you could probably find something nice in one of the houses or older apartments around there. Bonus to that is if you're a physically active person you could easily bike to work (it's about 1.5 mi to downtown) or if you don't want to drive the #1 bus is a straight shot and you'll get there in 10 mins or so.

Cuyahoga Falls - They're all over the place. The better apartments are probably on the far north end which is going to be driving-only (very sprawlish). Of course, that's also the area that's more prone to stink (See above).

You may also consider Merriman Valley depending on your stage in life. Lots of 20/30-somethings live out there, although you're also going to have more noise because of the younger crowd (and bars). I don't think that any of the apartments would be considered "high end" either, although they're not bad. You would be fairly close to downtown (4-5 miles) via Merriman Road or Portage Path.

Does anyone know if Northside rents or they are purchase only? That is a nice new building that is right off of downtown, with adjoining condos. Bonus there is it is right next to Luigis and a few other things.

Hope my sprawling reply has helped.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:16 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,030 times
[quote=SquareBetterThanAll;9618900]I don't have any experience with any, although I can say that if Portage Lakes is IN Portage Lakes you're going to be running a higher neighborhood white trash count than elsewhere. Sorry to be all uppity about it.

Squre better than.......I take offense to you saying portage lakes is "WHITE TRASH"? when was the last time you were out here? The Portage lakes at one time years ago was a lower class of residents but with the yuppie invasion of the 90's it is a lovely place to live. my property doesn't get broke into ,I go for walks after dark without the fear of being robbed by hoodies, I dont even lock my doors half the time when I go to bed,or out somewhere.

The stores are close and convenient I invite you to venture away from the square and check the lakes out( pm me,) and I will take you for a cruise and show you some of the great houses out here and then tell me about the white trash here. I could say the same for Crosby Rhodes and gale sts.....(where should I stop?) yes that is part of the square the highland sq, legally goes all the way to St V. but when you think square you exclude the less favorable areas, but you cant just stick your head into the sand.

My family built several house in 1907 in the sq and I lived there myself for 36 years in the house my grand father built,I love the sq but the residents are becoming.....well kind of "UPPITY" as of late

The Portage lakes is a combination of Coventry township,the city of Green and the city of New Franklin, a lot has change in the last 20 years, the shopping is convenient walmart kohls,home depot,lowes,acme,giant Eagle,Marcs, and a fitness spa located in the new High school, a 10 min trip to downtown which can be reached from the central interchange or the Kenmore leg of the expressway (in case of traffic tie ups)
and my favorite reason is the lakes ,one can cruise from bar to bar or restaurant to restaurant , the crime is next to none out here and well worth the time to consider and not be written off as a "White Trash" neighborhood that is totally unfair!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 AM

119 posts, read 273,276 times
It seems to me that Fairlawn is one of the "nicer" areas out there. I currently live in Highland Square, but I am 26 and single, so it is the perfect place for me. If you enjoy a small town feel that still is in the big city, Highland Square may be a good place for you. I love the older architecture in some of the buildings (hardwood floors, arched doorways, large windows, etc). Just watch out for how your house is going to be heated. If you heat is not included, and where you are living has an older furnace, your heat bill could be around $300 a month in the winter times. A lot of the older places in Highland Square have steam heat, so there is no high gas bill.

I don't know where there are nice apartments in Fairlawn, but I did have a friend that lived in Bridgewater Park Apartments in Stow, OH. It is the next town North of Cuyahoga Falls, and is a little nicer. It is right off of Route 8, so your commute to downtown shouldn't take any longer than 10 minutes. Here is the link: Bridgewater Park Apartments Apartments For Rent in Stow, Ohio - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

What are the major aspects of an apartment that you are looking for? I have lived in the area for 3 years, teach here, and just got finished looking for a new apartment literally 3 days ago - I have seen them all!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:11 AM

119 posts, read 273,276 times
Oh, in terms of health clubs, the Natatorium in Cuyahoga Falls is the best in the area, hands down. If you live in town, you will get a reduced monthly rate. Nice locker rooms with a private sauna for women only, lots of classes to come with your membership, kids room (if you plan to have any in the near future), 3 pools with waterslides, hot tub, basketball courts, upstairs area with nice cardio machines and track, nice NEW weight machines. Here is the link for "The Nat."

City of Cuyahoga Falls :: Official Website

Old 07-06-2009, 02:03 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times
[quote=htlong;9621232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I don't have any experience with any, although I can say that if Portage Lakes is IN Portage Lakes you're going to be running a higher neighborhood white trash count than elsewhere. Sorry to be all uppity about it.

Squre better than.......I take offense to you saying portage lakes is "WHITE TRASH"? when was the last time you were out here? The Portage lakes at one time years ago was a lower class of residents but with the yuppie invasion of the 90's it is a lovely place to live. my property doesn't get broke into ,I go for walks after dark without the fear of being robbed by hoodies, I dont even lock my doors half the time when I go to bed,or out somewhere.

The stores are close and convenient I invite you to venture away from the square and check the lakes out( pm me,) and I will take you for a cruise and show you some of the great houses out here and then tell me about the white trash here. I could say the same for Crosby Rhodes and gale sts.....(where should I stop?) yes that is part of the square the highland sq, legally goes all the way to St V. but when you think square you exclude the less favorable areas, but you cant just stick your head into the sand.

My family built several house in 1907 in the sq and I lived there myself for 36 years in the house my grand father built,I love the sq but the residents are becoming.....well kind of "UPPITY" as of late

The Portage lakes is a combination of Coventry township,the city of Green and the city of New Franklin, a lot has change in the last 20 years, the shopping is convenient walmart kohls,home depot,lowes,acme,giant Eagle,Marcs, and a fitness spa located in the new High school, a 10 min trip to downtown which can be reached from the central interchange or the Kenmore leg of the expressway (in case of traffic tie ups)
and my favorite reason is the lakes ,one can cruise from bar to bar or restaurant to restaurant , the crime is next to none out here and well worth the time to consider and not be written off as a "White Trash" neighborhood that is totally unfair!

Haha I knew you would respond to that.

I didn't mean it's a white trash neighborhood. I know there are some massive homes on the lakes and as well as your typical McMansions and other middle class housing.

What I was referring to is there are also a lot of remaining spots that are kind of ehhh, like some of those neighborhoods of rundown converted cottages and other stuff. And if you swing by some of the plazas on Manchester you look and you're like, "Hmm, am I in Barberton?" (I know, dig on Barberton )

My point was there is enough of the remaining old bars, crappy housing, and other stuff that you would have a higher white trash count (say, shopping at the grocery store) than if you were in Fairlawn or somewhere in the northwest of the county.

But you are correct, I wouldn't fear living there. And again, you are correct, just like w/Highland Square you have good and bad. But, as I'm sure you would attest, it's fair to include it all.

P.S. Gale St (etc.) is *cough cough* West Hill. The city's maps lie.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2Akron View Post

THANK YOU!
1. Hampton Knoll is in what we call 'the valley' in Akron. Nice area. Their website looks really good altho I can't say I know much about the apartments themselves. Just make sure you stay away from Timber Top apartments - that is the best advice I can give lol...Hunters Lake is off Howe Rd. in CuyFalls - nice as well and safe. I know a few people who live in these apts and they like them & have never had any problems...Tower 80 is in Highland Square. I have always wanted to see those but they are only open for viewing from 10am-4pm on the weekdays (which makes it hard for people who have to work for a living). This tower is right down the street from me - I love the area, of course. Safe, diverse, walkable...Portage Lakes I am looking into myself - more to buy a home than rent altho you never know. I like the area and have always heard good things about it.

2. Yes, there is a smell in 'the valley' along Akron Peninsula Rd. and Riverview Rd. Altho you don't smell it all the time, its basically a wafting stench every once in a while from the water treatment plant aka the 'stink plant' or the 'poop plant'. When in effect, the smell permeates the entire valley. I'm guessing one would get used to it? Akron: PublicUtilities: Water Pollution Control Division (http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/PubUtil/wpc/index.htm - broken link)

3. For high end in the Falls (off the top of my head), try Forest Ridge Luxury Apts Forest Ridge Luxury Apartments, Forest Ridge Apartments, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, Forest Ridge Apartments
~For Fairlawn, try Park Hill at Fairlawn Park Hill at Fairlawn, Park Hill Luxury Apartments, Park Hill at Fairlawn Luxury Apartments or Summit Rise in Copley/Fairlawn Summit Rise Apartments Apartments For Rent in Copley, Ohio - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com
~If you want to go slightly further north than the Falls, Stow has Heron Springs Heron Springs. I have always heard good things about Heron Springs - known several people who have lived there.

4. The snow is not that bad as long as you have all-weather tires, keep your distance from the person in front of you and take it slow. Promise Now, I can't say you won't get hit by some other moron who won't follow those simple rules lol...

5. If you live in Cuyahoga Falls, you can make use of the Natatorium - altho you don't have to be a resident to utilize the facility (it's just going to cost you more if you aren't)... City of Cuyahoga Falls :: Official Website

Sorry so long - hope this helped a little bit! Let me know if you have more questions and I'll try my best to answer them.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,282 times
htlong - now HS residents are becoming uppity? Geez you're killin' me here lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton