Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:06 AM

168 posts, read 518,459 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Calera? It's a booming town on the southern edge of Shelby County. I work in Montgomery, and several of my coworkers drive from Calera (even though it's technically a suburb of Birmingham).

It's a nice area and it's kinda in the middle....in relation to commute times. One way is a longer drive (toward Montgomery) and the other way is just as long a commute due to traffic (toward Birmingham).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 AM

22 posts, read 36,907 times
Prattville is a strip mall with some neighborhoods sprinkled around. Quiet, big yards, more backwoods rednecks roaming around, but you get more home for your money there than in Montgomery.
If you look in Montgomery, you can easily get a 4br house on the safe East side for less than $1500/month.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Let's see.

Arts? Birmingham by a mile
Things to do? Birmingham by a mile
Public Schools? Birmingham suburbs by a mile
Decent restaurants? Birmingham by about fifty miles
Natural surroundings? Birmingham by a mile
Overall economic vitality? Birmingham by a mile

Old 09-17-2010, 04:53 PM

9 posts, read 17,954 times
Go to Mobile instead.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 AM

358 posts, read 710,938 times
We just moved out of Montgomery (for work) after living there for 4 years. We found East Montgomery to be a great place to live. I would recommend any neighborhood within a mile or so of Eastchase Mall. It's a great area, generally pedestrian friendly with several big parks around. Deer Creek is a little east of this area but I would recommend that too (just a little more time to get to I85). Don't know much about B-ham. But I do know that several people I knew who opted for Prattville seemed to consistently complain about their experience there. I've never lived there--only been up there to visit friends--but I would say Prattville perhaps has a little less crime but the population is less diverse and the area is just less interesting/welcoming.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:49 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prden View Post
Best idea of all would be Huntsville.
Huntsville doesn't impress me at all. Birmingham is by far the best city in Alabama. Most of the negative things that Birmingham bashers say are only partially true or not true at all. It's a great place to live.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:08 PM

74 posts, read 233,478 times
Huntsville, or any of the surrounding areas like Madison, Hazel Green, Harvest...

Old 10-07-2010, 03:46 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipLib View Post
Huntsville doesn't impress me at all. Birmingham is by far the best city in Alabama. Most of the negative things that Birmingham bashers say are only partially true or not true at all. It's a great place to live.

Huntsville is a nice city but it`s not for everybody.I lived there for three years and it`s not all what others on this forum make it out to be.

Mobile is the best city in the state to me,LOL !!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 47,880 times
Yeah montgomery isnt even a consideration. Montgomery is way too small.... Birmingham is way bigger and has neighboring cities that are a lot more interesting.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:12 PM

346 posts, read 851,230 times
I'm originally from Tuscaloosa and now live in Huntsville near Madison. I prefer HSV to TCL hands down, more conveniences and area is just nicer.

My in-laws live in Pleasant Grove on the outskirts of Bham. If Bham and Montgomery are your 2 choices, I would do Bham and suggest a suburb area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama