Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:39 PM

17 posts, read 89,994 times

Advertisements

My dog and I are spending the summer in Alabama, and we are sorely missing having a dog park. I've been taking him to a local baseball field that isn't being used. Until the area builds a dog park, perhaps a group of owners could get together and rent a baseball or soccer field for one evening a week. I have no idea what this might cost, but I believe there is a group of greyhound owners in Birmingham that do this on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 06:25 PM

64 posts, read 234,258 times
Hi,

I think it would be great to have a dog park. I know my two dogs would love to go to a park and be off lead.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:17 PM

16 posts, read 51,894 times
Unless it is a very small city it would be better to have several dog parks scattered around town. Here in Tucson we have 6 located in city parks around town. Here's a site that lists dog friendly places:
DogFriendly.com's City Guide: Tucson , Arizona

Old 08-30-2007, 07:05 AM

87 posts, read 642,921 times
A good doggie park always makes a city more appealing. For those who are against doggie parks, have you ever actually visited one? I used to live in Colorado Springs and there were three doggie parks there and if anything 90% of the people who took their dogs out, had them extremely well trained. Honestly, there is little to fear about doggie parks. I'm totally for them!!! Also, the only enhance a location, especially once rules are enforced.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 15,108 times
Default can't wait

After living in DC for a year, I fell in love with dog parks. Unfortunately, the culture in the South is not quite used to the concept of socializing dogs. Huntsville does have a dog park in the works for an area near downtown...I understand they are just finalizing the insurance requirements. Hopefully people will soon see what a great place a dog park can be to play with your dogs, meet people and just get outside! Build it and they will come!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:35 AM

410 posts, read 1,653,264 times
I used to take my dogs all the time in CA. I particularly liked one that had a separate enclosed area within the dog park as a kiddie playground. I don't have kids, but parents of both 2 and 4-legged kids could let them all work off steam and not worry about smaller kids being around strange dogs.

Every dog park I have been too has been clean and safe. Nonetheless, no one who wants to go doesn't have to.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:39 AM

72 posts, read 278,899 times
Birmingham seriously needs to look into creating a doggie park. I just moved from Birmingham (life-long citizen) to Las Vegas. There are tons of dog parks here. My husband plays softball once a week at this very nice public park where there are two dog parks, one for dogs 30lbs and under and one for big dogs.

I love going to his games just so me and my son can go watch the doggies. The owners seem to have a lot of fun too. Considering there is no open-container law here, the owners have wine and cheese parties while the pooches play.

Looks like it is a very positive thing for all species!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,541 times
Default I would love a dog park

I now live in Huntsville and would love a place to take my dogs to run and play with other dogs. I think that it would be benefit all owners in the area and be used often.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 AM

6 posts, read 15,108 times
The dog park in Huntsville is now open! It is next to the city skate park on Cleveland which is off of Meridian (behind Furniture Factory). It has 2 areas, < 20 lbs, > 20 lbs. I have both (15lb and 50lbs). We were alone at first so we went to the small area. The large dog area is not as nice (rocky, expansive under the overpass). Still we had a good time. You have to start somewhere!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 AM

767 posts, read 2,290,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherriAS View Post
It has 2 areas, < 20 lbs, > 20 lbs. I have both (15lb and 50lbs). We were alone at first so we went to the small area. !
That is very much like letting your dog run free and carrying the lease. You are breaking the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama