Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times

Advertisements

Recently at a city meeting about expanding our city park someone suggested they put in a dog park. I think it is a good idea especially for a small town looking to attract new residents from BRAC.

I use to take my dogs to a doggie park in FL and it was a fun for the dogs but also a nice place to meet people.

What are your thoughts.

I wanted to make this a poll but couldn't figure out how to do that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 07:58 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,783 times
I'd love for there to be one in Huntsville. However, it needs to be a decent size patch of land, not 1 acre with a chain link fence around it. I have seen dog parks that small and they can get too crazy when you get 40 dogs crammed into that small of space.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,792,607 times
Well, we're not dog owners (and can't be unfortunately, my husband's allergic), but I was a dog owner previously and I can't say it was very important to me. We didn't have a dog park in our city but we had one several cities away and as much as I thought, "That looks fun, we should really take our dog to that dog park someday" - I never did.

Of course, this is because the city I lived in had plenty other great parks to walk my dog, and it was no problem to take him to an unused soccer field to let him off his leash to run around, and he was well-behaved enough that I knew he wasn't going to run off. If Huntsville doesn't have city parks and open fields to accomodate that, I imagine a dog park would take a higher priority.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
Well, we're not dog owners (and can't be unfortunately, my husband's allergic), but I was a dog owner previously and I can't say it was very important to me. We didn't have a dog park in our city but we had one several cities away and as much as I thought, "That looks fun, we should really take our dog to that dog park someday" - I never did.

Of course, this is because the city I lived in had plenty other great parks to walk my dog, and it was no problem to take him to an unused soccer field to let him off his leash to run around, and he was well-behaved enough that I knew he wasn't going to run off. If Huntsville doesn't have city parks and open fields to accomodate that, I imagine a dog park would take a higher priority.
There are lots of places like that, I take her to soccer and baseball fields occassionally. I also let her off leash on the lesser used trails on Monte Sano and in the Land Trust. Brahan Spring would be a great place for a dog park if they cleaned it up and ran off the shady characters. The spring would be a great place for them to swim. I think it could be a way for the community to reclaim that park from the freaks and drug dealers that seem to frequent it.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,448,507 times
Keeper - I think dog parks are diseased cesspits that kill puppies. Some people bring untrained and unvaccinated and unwell dogs to the parks, and these animals can be harmful or dangerous. Some people don't clean up after their dogs; beyond being rude, this spreads disease. And then there's the problem of children and strange dogs.

That said, the Botanical Garden has a dog month (February), during which the garden becomes a big dog park.

rnc76 - since I hike Monte Sano / Land Trust with unleashed small children, I don't like running into unleashed dogs.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Keeper - I think dog parks are diseased cesspits that kill puppies. Some people bring untrained and unvaccinated and unwell dogs to the parks, and these animals can be harmful or dangerous. Some people don't clean up after their dogs; beyond being rude, this spreads disease. And then there's the problem of children and strange dogs.

That said, the Botanical Garden has a dog month (February), during which the garden becomes a big dog park.

rnc76 - since I hike Monte Sano / Land Trust with unleashed small children, I don't like running into unleashed dogs.
She stays near me and I watch ahead on the trail for others, when I see or hear someone coming, I put her back on leash. I realize not everyone knows my dog doesn't have a mean bone in her body, so I keep her under control. As I said, I do it on the lesser used trails down the hill that don't have mountain bikes. I would never let her off on N or S Plateau. I used to go to a nature preserve in another part of the country that was 200+ acres of woods, open fields, and trails alongside a river. A wealthy person had willed his land to the town for people to enjoy with there animals. I realize that we will probably never get that kind of place here, but that was awesome. There was plenty of space for all the dogs.
Moderator cut: off topic - personal

Last edited by Marka; 07-21-2007 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
Let's face it, if you take your dog to a doggie park then it is up to you to be responsbile enough to be sure the dog has been vaccinated not only for rabies and other shots but for kennel cough. In Tpa, you had to have your dog's vaccination certificate with you at all times or be subject to a fine. I also never saw anyone not pick up after their dog.. Unfortunately you can't make people do the right thing, if you could then the animal shelters wouldn't be full of animals found wondering loose and rescue groups wouldn't be begging for people to help foster pedigree dogs.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 PM

17 posts, read 90,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Recently at a city meeting about expanding our city park someone suggested they put in a dog park. I think it is a good idea especially for a small town looking to attract new residents from BRAC.

I use to take my dogs to a doggie park in FL and it was a fun for the dogs but also a nice place to meet people.

What are your thoughts.

I'll be moving to Huntsville in May 2008. I currently live in Houston, where we have several great dog parks. This is one of the few things about Houston that I really hate to give up. I own a greyhound, a breed that can never be trusted off leash. Although he doesn't interact much with other dogs, he enjoys the freedom of running at a dog park, and we go almost every evening. Proximity to a dog park (if Huntsville had any) would definitely affect my decision on where to live in the city.

From what I've seen, people do pick up after their animals, and are quick to remove animals that are acting aggressively. Houston requires that you carry a copy of the rabies vaccination certificate at all times, and puppies under 4 months aren't allowed. There are bathing stations available to rinse off or wash your dog when you leave the park. This really helps to control disease.

On the downside, some of the parks have ponds that can get pretty gross, although the water is treated. I'm sure all kinds of nasty parasites could be ingested from drinking the water in them. Lucky for me, my dog is horrified by the thought of going near the ponds. Also, although the parks have separate areas for large and small dogs, many people persist in bringing their small dogs to the large dog areas. I know I'm going to see somebody's precious teacup ankle biter become a snack one day.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:04 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,448,507 times
Moderator cut: orphaned comment

I was asked my opinion about dog parks; everything I noted is true, for example:

About Dogs - Dog Parks and Basic Bark Park Etiquette

What I chided you about is also true. Your dog is required to be on a leash in a state park or in the city (no exceptions for dogs without mean bones):

Alabama State Parks

City of Huntsville, Alabama *** Huntsville *** Alabama ***

Should HSV have a dog park? Sure, if there is a constituency for the park - and if liability, cost, safety, maintenance, and site issues are adequately addressed. City Councilman Glenn Watson is for it, so is the Animal Services department (IIRC they want two fenced areas >acre each, water, restrooms, landscaping, parking).

Last edited by Marka; 07-21-2007 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-20-2007, 07:28 AM

207 posts, read 688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post

What are your thoughts.

Dog Parks...YES....as long as it would be BIG! We moved to FL from CA, and I was so sorry that there isn't one beach in our
area of FL, (Space Coast), that allowed dogs! We're from the Central Coast of CA...Carmel, to be exact, and the beach there is huge. Everyone takes their dogs there and it's wonderful for the animals as well as their humans. No leashes, and for all the many years I lived there I never saw any aggression from any of the dogs on the beach. People DID pick up after their pets, as well. Carmel is a very upscale area so I was in utter amazement that the beaches here in the Cocoa area didn't permit dogs.

We have gone to a dog park in Sanford, and it's nice..also on the large size, with a separate area for small dogs. Problem is, it gets so crowded that Mandy, ( our "Precious Pup"..she's 7 years old!), doesn't really socialize much with the other dogs....too much too soon, I think but if we happen to get there on a day there's only a couple of dogs, she's in heaven....plays and has fun.

Since we're moving to the Huntsville area, (Hubby's job is in Decatur), I was really hoping there'd be a place to take Mandy to meet a couple of friends friends. She really misses her pals in CA. FL is not the most dog friendly place I've ever been...unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama