Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:45 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times

Advertisements

Not in a dog park.. that is the whole point of going to a dog park. Dogs are allowed to run free in the fenced in area. I use to take my pups to a dog park in FL, they had the same thing regarding size. It was a great place to meet ppl and talk with other dog lovers. Many ppl got to know each other and some even brought picnic lunches while the dogs played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 10:33 AM

182 posts, read 901,059 times
My doggie is too old to take to a dog park now but in her younger days back in Santa Barbara I don't know what I would have done if it weren't for the no leash required beaches and the preserve by my house Santa Barbara.com - Parks: Douglas Familiy Preserve

As others have said here, fortunately I have never witnessed an unresponsible doggie owner at any of the places I used to take my Lucy to. There are plenty of dispensers for doggie pooper picker upper baggies at the entrances of these places and they are used by everyone.

There have been no formal restrictions that I know of at the places I used to go but if you're a dog owner/lover most of it is just common sense. I would never take a puppy under 4 months that has not been immunized to any public place, dog park or not.

Is there a dog park in birmingham? I saw something on the internet about a petition to turn Rhodes Park on Highland Ave into a dog park. I'm all for having a dog park but that park seems pretty small for that purpose.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:58 AM

339 posts, read 1,166,837 times
Default What every will my Dogs Do?

I have three Jack Russells that live to chase lizards (anoles) her in Florida. They burn up tons of energy running from fence to tree to shurb in hopes of catching an unsuspecting lizard. When we move to Huntsville in December I suspect they will spend a few weeks looking before giving up. After that a dog park would really be a nice place to let them run off their unused energy. There is a wonderful dog park in Redmond Washington (near Microsoft) - the success of the park requires a huge volenteer staff that keep it looking good. If we want a dog park, it will take more than getting land designated as a dog park.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 AM

182 posts, read 901,059 times
leavin_florida, bring them over to my place, anoles abound at my house! Had to round up 4 in the house a few weeks ago. I'm glad my Lucy is too slow to catch them now, I love lizards.

The mention of Microsoft reminds me of another thing I miss about my old job in Santa Barbara. We could bring our dogs to work. It was nice having Lucy by my side all day in the corner of my office. On breaks we would go out for a little walk and she would play with the other office doggies.

Sometimes I wonder if this isn't the cause of her severe seperation anxiety problems. For the first 8 years of her life she was with me practically 24/7 from home to college with me, to work with me, in the car to outdoor cafes to eat, pretty much everywhere.

I believe this is a practice of Microsoft has as well (not sure which locations) as an added employee benefit/stress reducer.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:27 AM

6 posts, read 15,120 times
Well, mccarley...some might say rules are made to be broken...but I assure you, I wouldn't have invaded the small dog area if any had been there. This is the first dog park I have ever been that separated the dogs by size.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:21 PM

339 posts, read 1,166,837 times
I saw the most amazing dog on animal planet a few years ago. The dog's owner suffered from ADHD and the dog was trained to keep her on track. The dog would even let her know when she was talking too much in business meetings - so she could say "It is time I let some one else talk." Dogs are wonderful companions

Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 AM

4 posts, read 10,183 times
I live in Huntsville and I haven't been to the dog park yet. I also have a big dog (45 pounds) and a little dog (barely 4 pounds). I am curious as to which area I am supposed to take mine. I would be a little scared to have the little guy running with big dogs (he is quick but he could easily get hurt) but I wouldn't want to upset the small dog owners either by having my big dog in their area (she is 8 1/2 and as sweet as they come but clearly some people get upset). Please bear with me this is my first dog park. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Pippup - HSV dog park has segregated areas for small / large dogs.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM

17 posts, read 90,012 times
Default what to do with 2 dogs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippup View Post
I live in Huntsville and I haven't been to the dog park yet. I also have a big dog (45 pounds) and a little dog (barely 4 pounds). I am curious as to which area I am supposed to take mine. I would be a little scared to have the little guy running with big dogs (he is quick but he could easily get hurt) but I wouldn't want to upset the small dog owners either by having my big dog in their area (she is 8 1/2 and as sweet as they come but clearly some people get upset). Please bear with me this is my first dog park. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Unfortunately it would not be safe for you to take either dog to the inappropriate side. Perhaps you could alternate which dog you take, or make one wait in the car (cool days only) while the other has some play time, and then switch.

Fights do happen at dog parks, and dogs have been killed or severely injured. That being said, dog parks are also a lot of fun, and it's beautiful to watch your dog learn to really act like a dog. Read some books on dog behavior before taking your dog to a park. You should be able to read canine body language, so that you can remove your dog from a situation before a fight breaks out. Before you bring your dog to the park, make sure they will come when called. Being able to call your dog away from a tense situation will greatly reduce chances of a fight. By the way, the sweetest dogs in the world will turn into savage beasts when a dog fight breaks out. Often every dog in the park will run to join the fight. Make sure you watch your dog closely at all times, and also watch other dogs for signs of aggression or extreme timidity. Often all the dogs in a park will turn on an extremely submissive dog.

Dogs can easily become overwhelmed or overstimulated at a dog park, especially if they are new to the experience. Fifteen or twenty minute visits are optimal. Also, remove your dog's leash as soon as you enter the park. Being on- leash makes a dog very defensive when unleashed dogs run up to it. Most importantly WATCH YOUR DOG AT ALL TIMES!!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 10,183 times
I think I'll just stick to the Green Way. My dogs are pretty well trained for the most part. The toy poodle is still a baby so he needs a bit more socialization. This was one of the reasons why I wanted to visit the park. I wanted him to learn how to interact with new dogs and he doesn't get to do this on the green way because most of the time when a dog passes the owners usually smile and keep going. I also never really thought about the possibility of a fight .Now I am having second thoughts. I will be sticking to the green way and letting them run loose at our secluded field. Thank you all for being so helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama