Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 03:24 AM

4 posts, read 10,487 times

Advertisements

This is a very helpful thread, glad I found it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM

52 posts, read 178,773 times
People from Alabama are literally helpless when it snows. I know, I lived in Tuscaloosa for two years.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM

22 posts, read 29,993 times
though i have not visited there my friends say it's not a good choice to live and it's difficult to negotiate the rent.why don't you try to visit and know once.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 AM

331 posts, read 511,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morlaine View Post
Hi, I currently live in Costa Rica and will be moving back to the states as soon as my house sells. I currently live on an acre right on the Caribbean Sea, about 10 miles from the nearest town. I've been reading a lot on the internet about Dothan. I would like to hear the negatives of about living there. I'm 66, single, and retired. So no kids in school, but I have lots of hobbies and four dogs (no pitbulls) that will be moving with me. Hurricanes and tornadoes are a big concern of mine because we don't have those here and they scare me. Do most houses have storm cellars? Thanks for helping in my research.

So did you just arbitrarily pick Dothan over other places in the US?

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 09-14-2014, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 69,969 times
Default Still trying to sell my house in Costa Rica

Regarding your question of picking Dothan arbitrarily. I have done and still do research on every town that I hear about being a good place to live, if I think it might meet the following criteria and so far the Dothan area has still remained at the top of the list.
1. I haven't shoveled snow since 1969 and don't intend to start doing that again. My role model (my aunt) died due to shoveling snow at the age of 103 and I intend to outlive her. :-)
2. I don't mind the heat but hate the cold.
3. I like greenery and don't mind the rain. So Phoenix, where I lived before Costa Rica, is not on the short list because of it being a desert. Plus the electric bills are too high due to having to run the A/C for about 8 or 9 months of the year.
4. I live on Social Security so need a low cost of living.
5. I need low property taxes so that rules out Florida which would have been my second choice, in spite of the hurricanes. Even living in Dothan, I plan on installing an underground storm shelter large enough for me and my pets. I have three cats and four dogs, one small and three large.
6. I want to live in a small town that is close enough to a larger town so I can have conveniences I currently miss, such as used book stores, movie theaters, bowling alleys, electronic stores, a large hardware store, a college or university, Walmart, hobby shops, art supply stores, coffee shops, decent restaurants.

I am also including Enterprise in the short list because it's smaller than Dothan but seems to have some conveniences and is only about 25 miles from Dothan. I think many of the other small towns surrounding Dothan would be too small for my liking.

I'm still trying to sell my house. The housing market is very dead here, if there can be degrees of dead. So I'm biding my time and waiting and hoping.
I plan to rent a house (not an apartment as I have pets) in the Dothan area for 3 to 6 months, maybe longer, so that I have time to familiarize myself with the area and look for a house that best meets my needs.
Regards, Carole

Old 09-15-2014, 06:19 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Plus the electric bills are too high due to having to run the A/C for about 8 or 9 months of the year.
It'll be that way in Dothan too. The high humidity in the Deep South makes it feel hotter than it really is. It can be 80 degrees, but it'll feel like its 95.

A storm shelter probably isn't needed. There was a tornado that struck Enterprise and destroyed the school, but they are very rare. Generally tornadoes are pretty weak in the southern 1/3 of the state.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:20 PM

24 posts, read 66,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
educated and forward thinking.
Really??

I met a gentleman through a mutual friend who asked, "Do you hunt, fish, or play golf?"
I answered "no" to all three.
That ended our conversation.

Usually they just ask which church you go to. And they ask that often.

The doctors there all tell you there is no Lyme disease in Alabama. Ticks respect state borders, apparently. They also say mold doesn't make people sick. Medical marijuana? Not here. Recreational? Never. Same sex marriage? Keep moving.

Misspellings and horrid grammar rule the day. Proper conjugation of verbs is as rare as their steaks. Ask your hostess what they serve that is gluten-free and enjoy the look of confusion. That is, if you don't get a dirty look instead. You know, the look that says, "Great - Another problem customer." Healthy living here calls for diet Coke. Folks here don't pick up milk on the way home; they pick up a 24-pack of Miller Light. If you aren't sporting "Alabama" or "Auburn" paraphernalia then you had better at least have some John Deere stuff on you. Ever seen a confederate flag bikini? You will. The college football fan level is the highest I've ever seen but I doubt any of these mega-fans are even aware that there is a school associated with the football team. Likely, 90% of these jersey-wearing, overweight, poorly spoken in-breds have ever been to any institute of higher learning and to suggest that any of them are "educated and forward thinking" is utter madness.

Qualifier: I lived in the area from 2005-2014.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:34 PM

24 posts, read 66,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morlaine View Post
Regarding your question of picking Dothan arbitrarily. I have done and still do research on every town that I hear about being a good place to live, if I think it might meet the following criteria and so far the Dothan area has still remained at the top of the list.
1. I haven't shoveled snow since 1969 and don't intend to start doing that again. My role model (my aunt) died due to shoveling snow at the age of 103 and I intend to outlive her. :-)
2. I don't mind the heat but hate the cold.
3. I like greenery and don't mind the rain. So Phoenix, where I lived before Costa Rica, is not on the short list because of it being a desert. Plus the electric bills are too high due to having to run the A/C for about 8 or 9 months of the year.
4. I live on Social Security so need a low cost of living.
5. I need low property taxes so that rules out Florida which would have been my second choice, in spite of the hurricanes. Even living in Dothan, I plan on installing an underground storm shelter large enough for me and my pets. I have three cats and four dogs, one small and three large.
6. I want to live in a small town that is close enough to a larger town so I can have conveniences I currently miss, such as used book stores, movie theaters, bowling alleys, electronic stores, a large hardware store, a college or university, Walmart, hobby shops, art supply stores, coffee shops, decent restaurants.

I am also including Enterprise in the short list because it's smaller than Dothan but seems to have some conveniences and is only about 25 miles from Dothan. I think many of the other small towns surrounding Dothan would be too small for my liking.

I'm still trying to sell my house. The housing market is very dead here, if there can be degrees of dead. So I'm biding my time and waiting and hoping.
I plan to rent a house (not an apartment as I have pets) in the Dothan area for 3 to 6 months, maybe longer, so that I have time to familiarize myself with the area and look for a house that best meets my needs.
Regards, Carole
Carole,

This area is depressing. I have lived all over the world and country including here and would never consider going back. Not for an instant.

I know you were likely just making a humorous comment about your aunt who died shoveling snow but, if she made it to 103, perhaps shoveling snow ain't so bad. You will have, conversely, other obstacles to long life if you choose lower Alabama. Namely, mold. The area is so wet and old and people are so ignorant to its dangers that it flourishes here. You'll be challenged to find a house that isn't already contaminated with the stuff and even further challenged to find any stores (book, antique, hobby, etc.) that are not ruined with mold. Keep in mind that there are plenty of degrees latitude north of there that afford somewhat milder weather without inundating you with snow. In Dothan, however, be prepared to push a lawn mower well into November and enjoy the myriad oak trees that shed their leaves year-round.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:43 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,196 times
Default really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinDUBrow View Post
Really??

I met a gentleman through a mutual friend who asked, "Do you hunt, fish, or play golf?"
I answered "no" to all three.
That ended our conversation.

Usually they just ask which church you go to. And they ask that often.

The doctors there all tell you there is no Lyme disease in Alabama. Ticks respect state borders, apparently. They also say mold doesn't make people sick. Medical marijuana? Not here. Recreational? Never. Same sex marriage? Keep moving.

Misspellings and horrid grammar rule the day. Proper conjugation of verbs is as rare as their steaks. Ask your hostess what they serve that is gluten-free and enjoy the look of confusion. That is, if you don't get a dirty look instead. You know, the look that says, "Great - Another problem customer." Healthy living here calls for diet Coke. Folks here don't pick up milk on the way home; they pick up a 24-pack of Miller Light. If you aren't sporting "Alabama" or "Auburn" paraphernalia then you had better at least have some John Deere stuff on you. Ever seen a confederate flag bikini? You will. The college football fan level is the highest I've ever seen but I doubt any of these mega-fans are even aware that there is a school associated with the football team. Likely, 90% of these jersey-wearing, overweight, poorly spoken in-breds have ever been to any institute of higher learning and to suggest that any of them are "educated and forward thinking" is utter madness.

Qualifier: I lived in the area from 2005-2014.
OK I am not getting into an arguement here. I also have lived in the area and have now moved. However, although there is some truth such as poor grammar this area is not the only area of our country that fits your description. We have lived in many areas and I could describe even parts of Wisconsin as exactly how you characterized lower AL. Even the hunt, fish, camp and believe it or not they love golf up there. Ever run into a UW or Packer fan? No different that AL or Auburn fan. So give the area a break. Most people are honest, as hard working as anyone and want opportunity. Be glad you could move on if that is what makes you happy. No need to trash a whole area just because it wasn't your cup of tea. By the way, I found excellent health care. The doctor who treated my eyes for glaucoma was a Johns Hopkins grad and originally from CA and could have practiced anywhere. There must be something that is good enough to raise a family in Dothan. By the way, race relations are pretty good there compared to other areas we have lived in. Be nice.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:57 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,048,329 times
I read all the comments offered so far. While I've never been to Dothan myself, I can't offer any opinions about it. But, I would like to suggest that you pick a college town, like Auburn, because it sounds like you enjoy culture, books, etc. College towns offer this advantage.

BTW, I've never been to Auburn either, but I hear it's a nice town and growing fast. Another college town to consider would be Athens, GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama