Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,865 times

Advertisements

Hello from Ohio

Glad to meet you! My name is Stacey and, like my user name suggests, I should have been born Southern

More on all that another time...

I have decided to move my family to Alabama sometime in the next year or so. (A whole lot sooner if we are able to!) Several factors have played into this decision and it wasn't easy. But, enough on that for now, too.

"My family" consists of my two young daughters (Tylar Whitney, 8 and Anslie Renea, 4), our Border Collie/Aussie Shepherd-mix Binder and myself.

I am a Certified Medical Assistant (AAMA) with an Associate degree in Applied Business. I have experience working in OB/GYN and Urogynocology and Family Practice. I have a small amount of experience in Cosmetic Medicine.

I spent several years as an exercise rider and pony girl at the local Thoroughbred race track and participate in a few different horse-related activities locally. My love of horses led me to that as a young adult before I made up my mind about what I "wanted to be when I grew up". I was also an assistant trainer for a Reining farm here, which cost me a broken pelvis. While I was laid up, I went back to school and got my degree.

Moving on, at the top of my "list" are Dadeville/Jackson's Gap/Lake Martin areas.

I chose the areas I did with my family's personal interests in mind:

My children and I do more than our fair share of fishing and camping, therefore being near a large body of water is important to us. While my little one is happy to catch ANYthing... my oldest daughter and I prefer BIG fish that put up BIG fights (It's an adrenaline thing!)

Any camping/fishing area in our interest must be dog-friendly.

(I had considered the Mobile area [Mobile bay], but I am not sure I am comfortable being that close the the coast!) A salt water fishing itch can be easily cured by a long drive down the state...

I hunt, also, but I am not comfortable hunting public land, so I will have to give it up I guess, until we make some friends. LOL

As I mentioned previously, horses are a large part of our lives as well. Not only do I ride, but my oldest daughter used to show and my youngest attends horse shows with her Mimi. She has NOT started showing yet.

We currently live in a fairly rural area... shopping is as close as 10 minutes for minor groceries, 20 minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart and Tractor Supply and about 40 to the nearest mall. And that is all the closer we need to be to town. We prefer it that way. A similar drive to medical facilities (employment) would be ideal. **Cooking is a big love of mine, so I will need a GOOD grocery, within a reasonable distance. **A Home Depot or Lowes somewhere near would be great too; I love to refinish and re-purpose old furniture

I would like to keep the school environment safe, with high ranked academics, for my girls. My oldest cheers, so a district that offers activities. We are NOT looking for an area with thousands of students. We like small town, quiet, laid back, safe

We will be looking to rent a house (no trailers. Will CONSIDER a double wide, if its nice, and set up properly). We need a minimum of 2 bedrooms. If less than 3 bedrooms, the ones that are there need to be pretty good size. Again, we have a dog (apprx 50 lbs), so pet friendly is a must. I am will to pay additional to have him, if needed. He is impeccably well behaved and I can provide references for varification.

If anyone here could give me any information on the things I mentioned in the areas I listed (or similar areas near by!), I would greatly appreciate it!

Sorry about the rambling, I was trying to type it as fast as it was all running through my mind, so I wouldnt forget things!!

(A good friend of mine grew up in Gadsden, and she recommends it, but I prefer closer to Lake Martin)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 04:03 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I don't know if we have anyone who lives in that area, although I remember going to Lake Martin as a kid, that was way too long ago to be helpful. You can find more info on Dadeville and Jackson's gap here, including other threads where it was mentioned
http://www.city-data.com/city/Dadeville-Alabama.html

You might want to consider S. AL especially places like Stockton or Stapleton. Not that close to the coast but not too far either.

Gadsden is close to Lake Weiss which is a really nice lake. There are a lot of places in AL where you can find rural land. You can get an older house with 2 acres for less than $140K.

It really depends on where you can find a job

Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,011 times
I live in the Lake Martin area & am happy to provide you with any details if you're interested in contacting me off-post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: