Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 01:34 PM

16 posts, read 61,667 times

Advertisements

is there any difference in the people of ft payne, pine ridge and valley head, mentone? any difference in heat and humidity?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittman View Post
is there any difference in the people of ft payne, pine ridge and valley head, mentone? any difference in heat and humidity?
I don't know a lot, but do know that Mentone has a lot of transplants, plus a lot of vacation homes that are empty for large blocks of time. Mentone is also a higher elevation, so it is slightly cooler...but the difference would not be noticeable to a lot of people.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Valley Head appears to be almost entirely locals. Mentone, especially along the bluff edge, has a lot of transplants. Ft. Payne is a mix, with more visible hispanic culture.

The difference in weather is pretty complex, and there are a lot of micro-climates. Ft. Payne sits at the bottom of Lookout Mtn, but also has a ridge west of town, and then Sand Mtn further west. Valley Head has even less afternoon sun, due to another ridge. That can cool things off late in the day. You couldn't pay me to live in Valley Head because of the lack of sunlight.

On Lookout Mtn, there can be a lot of breezes, while most of the valley is relatively calm. The dew point can be a little higher in Ft. Payne at night, which means it doesn't get as cold as you might expect, since cold sinks. I've seen morning frost at DeSoto St Park while Ft. Payne has none. Also, the road on Lookout Mtn between Ft Payne and Mentone is commonly foggy at night during the summer and early fall.

I guess that one way to describe the difference is that Lookout Mountain tends very slightly towards being a high desert, and Railroad Valley and Will's Valley are more moist and sheltered.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:28 PM

16 posts, read 61,667 times
Default lookout mtn

thanks, i would like to escape the humidity. i would like an older home with local people. so where would i look , if not mentone. what other towns are on lookout mtn?

Old 10-08-2007, 04:18 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Cloudland comes to mind, but I think that is in GA. Dogtown seemed hot and small when we were there this summer. There still may be some brow available on the south side of Ft Payne. Gaylesville isn't on the mountain, but otherwise seems to fit.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittman View Post
thanks, i would like to escape the humidity. i would like an older home with local people. so where would i look , if not mentone. what other towns are on lookout mtn?
I am going to be perfectly honest with you. If your goal is to 'escape humidity' this is not really possible in Alabama. It's a humid climate - period.

Sub-tropical? No - not like Florida or as bad as Houston or New Orleans, but there's no place in Alabama that could be considered anywhere close to a dry climate.

I have close friends who have a home on the brow in Mentone. It's beautiful with a beautiful view. We spent the night with them one summer evening after they hosted a party there. The main thing you will find about the climate in that area is that it is Cooler than many parts of Alabama because it is more elevated.

But's it's still humid, especially in the Spring and Summer. Alabama DOES have a much drier Fall, with decidedly lower humidity and this is the best time of the year - weatherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama