Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,584 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are in the final processes of confirming a move to the Fort Payne area due to a job offer. Neither of us have ever been to Alabama before. When he flew there to interview, he only got to drive from the Birmingham airport to Fort Payne late at night and then had to return back to the airport the next day after his interview. We have done a lot of research about Fort Payne but would like to know what other towns around the area are good to live in? What are the real distances from other towns to the Fort Payne area? Are any larger towns within commuting distance? We are in our 30s and are used to living in a smaller town in Northern California, so we are not concerned with big city feel vs. small town. We would like to rent at first just to make moving easier, but find that it is very difficult to search for rental homes or apartments and don't really know what cities and towns surround the area to broaden our search. Any help would be wonderful and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 10:23 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
The thing is, Fort Payne is not really near anything to commute except, maybe, from Collinsville which is smaller!! Chattanooga is nearby, but remember, they're in Eastern time zone and Alabama's on central time. Get yourself a map - a real one - and study it. You can get one from the state tourism bureau, or any Wal-Mart will have a US atlas. Fort Payne is in a mountainous region. Although Tennessee and Georgia are very close, the number of roads going through Fort Payne is restricted because of the mountains. Now, the good news is that FP is on an interstate and you can zip up to Chattanooga or down to Birmingham very quickly. Atlanta is a bit harder to get to because of the mountains. We used to go through Collinsville over some small backroads to Cedartown, Ga., and then down to I-20 and east to Atlanta.

Renting at first is a VERY good idea. That will give you time to drive around and explore your new home. Fort Payne is a pretty area. I think you have some delightful surprises in store!

Welcome to Alabama...the best to you both!

Old 05-18-2008, 04:02 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Here is the local newspaper, you can check for houses/apts for rent
The Times-Journal

Check here for other threads and info about Ft Payne.

Fort Payne, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Rainsville or Collinsville are not too far from Ft Payne. They are both smaller than Ft Payne.

I will recommend you not rent a mobilehome as N. AL has tornadoes.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:28 PM

50 posts, read 245,688 times
Atlanta isn't hard to get to from Fort Payne. Just drive down to Gadsden, pick up US Hwy 278 East and it will take you right into Atlanta.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:49 AM

True, but they will be working in Ft Payne. I think the OP is asking about housing in the area..

Old 06-01-2008, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,584 times
Default Thank you all for replying

Thank you all for your replies. They are appreciated. We will be living in Fort Payne and so, I have thought about the Chattanooga area or Birmingham. I think Atlanta is 2 hours away yes? I also thought about Gaddsen or Huntsville? I am not sure if Huntsville is difficult to get to because it being a mountainous region? We have rented an apartment and will live there for a while before we decide to buy. Thank you for all your ideas! Can't wait to be in Alabama, later this week! wow!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:44 PM

Good idea... while the price of gas is not as bad as in CA I think you will be glad you are living in Ft. Payne at least until you can check out the surrounding area.

Welcome to Alabama.. Let us know how it goes.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:28 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Its a very beautiful area. Lived north of there for few years - loved it. Recently was back in Ft Payne to visit customer, man how I missed that region. Anyhow, the road from 'nooga to FtP is not bad, but I would reckon that over time such a daily trip would wear on a person, if going to look at such for commuting every day. Otherwise, its a quite scenic and peaceful ride. I've not taken the road from FtP to B'ham in few years, but while was also quite scenic, the pavement was like a washboard! Going east or west from FtP, yea, there will be ridges/mountains that must be crossed - and doing such inclement weather [rain, fog, etc.] is not amicable when time is of essence; otherwise also scenic w/ many beautiful vistas.

Oh, to help ya w/ some history as you get a feel for the area - FtP was once known as the "sock capital of the world", and is also the home of country band Alabama. If yas like the outdoors, good gosh, there is a ton of awesome sights to behold... check out the Mentone area, and the following sites - and these are just for the ridge to the East!
Lookout Mountain attractions in Alabama
Visit beautiful Lookout Mountain
Lookout Mountain attractions in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.
Little River Canyon National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,014 times
You're in for a real treat! Fort Payne is a great community. I've lived here all my life and it's real close to so many wonderful cities. Nashville, Atlanta, B'ham., Huntsville and Chatt. Tn. We welcome you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama