Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:01 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,894,449 times

Advertisements

someone steered in the direction of Gulf shores for a family beach vacation. I Googled and I must say I am impressed!! The beaches look amazing.

We just moved from the east coast and usually go to the outerbanks of NC.

So, what I need is a bit of info on finding rental properties.
We have 3 kids and my parents will also be joining us.

Would like a 3-4 bedroom house with pool acess either ocean front or 1 row back with direct beach acess.

If we can't find a house then a condo/Town house would be fine
IF we go this route...beach front a must. with ocean views. (we had a condo last year that was beach front complex but our unit was on the back??!)

We do not like BIG huge condo highrises. (3-4 floors max)

Anyone have a company that they have delt with that they were happy with?
Any beach/neighborhood nicer etc...

We like the more quiet areas..we can always drive to excitement if needed!

Thanks so much, we look forward to visiting Alabama!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 12:51 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,438,314 times
Please don't spread the word about Alabama's beaches. We'd like to keep them uncrowded!
You should have no trouble finding what you've specified. I'd suggest going to Gulf Shores Alabama - Orange Beach - Alabama Gulf Coast Vacations. This is the Chamber of Commerce's Web site and they have links and listings for all the local agencies. Most of them have their own excellent Web sites - you can see the accommodation online, with pictures of rooms, and reserve online.
There are also rentals by owner online, too, that should be easy to find via search engine.
There are 3 areas: Gulf Shores, Fort Morgan (west of Gulf Shores) and Orange Beach (east of Gulf Shores). Fort Morgan is about 20 miles from Gulf Shores, so you might want to keep that in mind. Orange Beach is just a handful of miles east.
Have fun! Wish I was there.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Please don't spread the word about Alabama's beaches. We'd like to keep them uncrowded!
You should have no trouble finding what you've specified. I'd suggest going to Gulf Shores Alabama - Orange Beach - Alabama Gulf Coast Vacations. This is the Chamber of Commerce's Web site and they have links and listings for all the local agencies. Most of them have their own excellent Web sites - you can see the accommodation online, with pictures of rooms, and reserve online.
There are also rentals by owner online, too, that should be easy to find via search engine.
There are 3 areas: Gulf Shores, Fort Morgan (west of Gulf Shores) and Orange Beach (east of Gulf Shores). Fort Morgan is about 20 miles from Gulf Shores, so you might want to keep that in mind. Orange Beach is just a handful of miles east.
Have fun! Wish I was there.
Yes. Go home after your vacation and say, "Good grief, what a crappy place." Make up some story about how awful the rednecks were. Don't talk about the sugar-white beaches and gentle surf either. Because it's getting harder and harder to find a nice isolated stretch of beach, mainly because all the northerners have "discovered" it.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:08 PM

90 posts, read 402,370 times
lol ,at all of the responses . Oh yeah Alabama`s Gulf Coast is a gem, I wouldn`t recomend the bad reviews though, just tell them it was alright J/K.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,894,449 times
Thanks for the info. There are some BEAUTIFUL places for rent. I found more duplexs than houses, but those are better than condo's. Prices seem ALOT better than in NC so that's a plus.
I am glad to see that there a "big" houses for rent there for family reunions and such (for future vacation plans!)

I noticed than some of the bigger resorts have houses on them..attractive in htat you get privacy and the use of some great amienties.
Anyone know anything about The Beach club resort or Gulf shores plantation? The houses seem a bit far from the beach on the site maps.

Also what about shelling etc...I have 3 girls who love collecting shells etc... are any locations or beaches (even drivable) noted for good shelling?

Thank you so much for the help....

Quote:
Go home after your vacation and say, "Good grief, what a crappy place."
LOL!!
and don't worry...Mumms the word on the beautiful beaches!!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Thanks for the info. There are some BEAUTIFUL places for rent. I found more duplexs than houses, but those are better than condo's. Prices seem ALOT better than in NC so that's a plus.
I am glad to see that there a "big" houses for rent there for family reunions and such (for future vacation plans!)

I noticed than some of the bigger resorts have houses on them..attractive in htat you get privacy and the use of some great amienties.
Anyone know anything about The Beach club resort or Gulf shores plantation? The houses seem a bit far from the beach on the site maps.

Also what about shelling etc...I have 3 girls who love collecting shells etc... are any locations or beaches (even drivable) noted for good shelling?

Thank you so much for the help....

LOL!!
and don't worry...Mumms the word on the beautiful beaches!!

As far as shells are concerned, it's not a great place. You really have to work your way down Florida to someplace such as Sanibel for that.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,438,314 times
About 4 years ago, the state was doing a beach replenishment program. They had dredges scooping sand from a few yards offshore and pumping it onto the beach. We found some glorious, perfect shells that year! But no, you normally won't find lots of shells.
Those houses that seem far from the beach are a ways back, but the tide comes up pretty far there, and it's still walkable.
I've stayed at a couple of pretty great condos, which I like because I don't have to crawl up and down a lot of steps.
Gulf Shores is very family-oriented, and fairly quiet. On weekdays, they roll up the streets at 11 p.m. You can make day trips to attractions in Mobile and even over to Pensacola (great museum at the naval station there). Drive up to Fairhope to wander the shops, or up to...Robertsdale? for the farmer's market.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:17 PM

21 posts, read 205,878 times
We've been going to the Plantation for years, I'd recommend it if you're looking for a fairly quiet place that has a family atmosphere. Never stayed at the Beach Club, but it's right next door and looks nice as well. We found the Plantation and enjoyed it and never had a reason to try any place else.
The Plantation is on the Fort Morgan peninsula about 13 miles from the main drag in Gulf Shores, so it's easy to get to town to eat or whatever. We always stay in the high rise but the townhouse/cottages look nice. They are not that far from the beach. There is nothing between them and the beach but dunes, so they are really about as close to the water as possible. There are pools scattered all over the complex if the gulf gets too rough. There is also a golf course between the resort and the road which is supposed to be pretty nice, people tell me. It does help keep the noise down.
One thing I'd recommend is to call and make a reservation instead of doing it online. If you talk to the people who work there and tell them what you want they're very helpful. I get nicer rooms by calling.
One thing for sure is this is a family place and it's quiet. The only noise comes from kids and the surf.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:07 PM

384 posts, read 1,582,347 times
Yeah, the Fort Morgan peninsula is very quiet, with few large condos, and the rates are usually a little cheaper than Gulf Shores-Orange Beach, but keep in mind that it is also pretty isolated, so if you're the sort who wants to dine out at restaurants, shop, and so forth, you'll find yourself driving 15-20 miles to Gulf Shores-Orange Beach for that. If you mostly want private, quiet family time, and want to cook your own food, the Fort Morgan area is a great choice.

If you want a quiet rental house, but still close enough to the action that you can very quickly drive to restaurants and attractions, your better bet will be "Gulf Shores West Beach."

I just got back today from a week right in the middle of Gulf Shores, where I visit every year. Shelling is hit or miss. I saw very few most days. but one morning, I filled up a grocery sack with shells pretty quickly - lots of clams and scallops. In general, my recommendation for shelling nearby is to visit Pensacola Beach one day (not a bad little drive at all). The beach road there is still not open all the way, so you can park at the pavilion on the west end, and walk or ride a bike for several miles west where the closed road is, so there's a whole lot of beach that doesn't get picked over.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:13 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,092,714 times
The Plantation is right on the beach. Very easy access from any point.
Tell them what accomodation and location you want. Kiva Dunes ,the Beach Club, and Tacky Jack's are near for eating on those occasions when you don't want to go into Gulf Shores proper. There is a Starbucks on the premises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama