Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:01 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Fellow Alabama posters,
I enjoy checking the forums for our neighboring states - Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi - and North Carolina, where I have family. Seems like NC, TN, and GA are being swamped with incoming folks! Thank goodness things are quieter in our state. LOL!

But then again, not every single newcomer is a member of this site

I always found it interesting to observe which states attract which people. From that, I have observed that Floridians don't care what state the end up in, as long as it isn't Florida . Keeping track of this stuff makes it a lot easier to point someone in the right direction as far as moving goes.

Here's a basic observation:

Californians:
South Carolina
Alabama
Some Georgia

New Yorkers:
North & South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Some Mississippi

New Jersians:
North & South Carolina
Georgia
Some Alabama

Chicagoans(?):
Georgia

Plains & Midwestern:
Georgia

Michganers(?):
South Carolina

Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Maryland:
South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama

Pacific Northwestern (Washington, Oregon):
Alabama
Georgia

Tennessee, Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana seem to attract a rather equal number from all groups.

Remember, I'm just being general here, so nothing is set in stone.

Last edited by Frankie117; 04-06-2008 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 01:51 PM
KMK

80 posts, read 338,690 times
We are just having a large influx of illegals esp up here in Northern Ala. In fact apparently that is about all there are in the Russellville area now. It might be better to have the large influx of native Americans those other states you are talking about are experiencing. We ranked either 9th or 13th in the nation as an illegal immigration state.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:03 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK View Post
We are just having a large influx of illegals esp up here in Northern Ala. In fact apparently that is about all there are in the Russellville area now. It might be better to have the large influx of native Americans those other states you are talking about are experiencing. We ranked either 9th or 13th in the nation as an illegal immigration state.
I did not bring up illegal immigration because I know that it can make friendly topics go really bad. While yes, it does have an impact on population growth, I don't believe it is responsible for growth in quite the same way.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:10 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
My wife and I (and our baby who's due in october) are going to try to move to alabama in fall of '09 when I finish school (for the 2nd time). i want to get a job with the state of alabama. but don't worry, we'll keep it quiet, we're trying to get away from all the yankees and high prices in florida. i'm just a good ole country boy and the florida i grew up in is changing too much for my taste.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 PM

251 posts, read 895,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggermom View Post
Oh No...I figured we could get way from them here if we moved. Actually, my new father in law is from NY and we love him! Surprised us, he did! We love to tease him about being a yankee in a southern farmer family. He went to college in Troy and loved it. Mother-in law has him riding horses and cleaning stalls. Maybe we can get the inlaws to come with us. My brother is ready to come too. He might do well in Opp with a park named after him. Well, sorry, but we most likely will move up there, we hope to find a small farm and go back to basics.
Hi Diggermom,

Are you thinking of moving to Opp? That is the area I am from. Have been in Mobile since 1999.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
I too read frequently many of the southern state forums.

The conclusion I have come to is the people in TN believe --everyone-- from Florida is moving to their state.

The people in Georgia believe--everyone---from Florida is moving to their state

The people in Arkansas believe ---everyone---from California is moving to NW Arkansas.

Based on my observations, I would say Florida and California will be deserted by 2015.

(or maybe I should take the word---everyone--- with a grain of salt )

Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,790,700 times
Quote:
Don't Worry,I won't mention it to anyone here in CA how Nice and Affordable it is in Alabama
They won't listen to you even if you do. I've tried.

Quote:
Californians:
South Carolina
Alabama
Some Georgia

I think the reason for Californians -> Alabama is mostly the aerospace industry. California has a big aerospace industry and so does Alabama. And the California engineers who want to make the same salary or close to it for half the cost of living will give HSV a good look. I wouldn't say I have met an abundance of Californians here in Huntsville but I've met a few, and those that I have met have literally all been in the aerospace/defense industry - and almost exclusively engineers - whereas I've met transplants from other states that come here for more diverse reasons or more peripheral to the industry such as in sales.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Well, having moved here from Chicago, I can understand the impulse to keep it quiet.

When I had an offer to interview 16 years ago, I nearly turned it down. Then I had to convince my wife to fly down with me. I practically had to force her on the plane. "C'mon. Nothing else, it's a free weekend trip to some place we've never visited before." We were expecting Spanish moss in the trees, clapboard houses, tobaccy spitting rednecks, and the entire cast of Deliverance.

So we get to Birmingham, and the first thing we notice was how hilly, lush, and green everything was. Then we noticed a lot of beautiful neighborhoods. Then my wife was given the tour around town while I went through my interviews. Then we ate at a restaurant that would put 99% of the places in Chicago to shame, and would probably take top honors there, too.

My wife, in the hotel the next morning, had the real estate section spread all over the bed. She remarked, "You know, we could live down here for about half of what we needed to live in Chicago." We sat there with a calculator, toted it up, and she was right.

Our friends thought we had lost our last marble. They brought up all the stereotypes, to which we said, "Hey, we didn't see it." When we moved, the going away party was like a funeral. You would have thought that we were moving to the backwoods of Bolivia.

Fast forward a year or so, and friends start dropping in on their way to Florida. We take them around the town. They had the same pleasant surprise that we had. Next thing we know, two more couples move here. One couple took a job in Charlotte a few years later, but the other couple is enjoying life five miles from where we live. What's more, with the economy up north faltering, I have gotten a couple of calls from buddies in Cleveland and Chicago, asking pointed questions about Alabama.

So, yeah. Enjoy it while you can. Because it's only a matter of time before Alabama gets discovered big time.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So, yeah. Enjoy it while you can. Because it's only a matter of time before Alabama gets discovered big time.
Shut UP!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 AM
KMK

80 posts, read 338,690 times
CPG I do think that is the case in Birmingham. Birmingham is unique although lately it has had significant crime problems. There are several very nice areas to live and it is close to interstate and other urban areas full of cultural and entertainment opportunities. I think if you have to live here Birmingham is the place to be!!Fairhope is also a quaint artsy town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama