Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times

Advertisements

You know what I take that back I can speak for the state as a whole.The entire state has culture evem though it may vary between regions but we have culture and there is nothing generic about it.It is authentic !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
You had better like the heat. The summers are very hot and humid.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
You had better like the heat. The summers are very hot and humid.

Personally, I think the winters are worse than the summers, though I've only been in AL two years. At least in summer people are out swimming, playing golf, cycling, mowing their lawns, etc. This past winter was pretty bad (according to the locals). Cloudy and rainy just about every day.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Jobs
Good schools
No traffic
Friendly people

Sounds almost like the perfect place.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:05 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Personally, I think the winters are worse than the summers, though I've only been in AL two years. At least in summer people are out swimming, playing golf, cycling, mowing their lawns, etc. This past winter was pretty bad (according to the locals). Cloudy and rainy just about every day.
I think our winters are perfect (at least in south AL), cold enough to feel like winter but not so cold that you're forced to stay inside.

And yeah, this past winter was wetter than normal.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 PM
chj

128 posts, read 352,604 times
Quote:
I hate alabama's summers. If I could I would go north for the summer and stay in alabama for the winter.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
This Minnesotan might just start doing that in the near future ( Alabama for Nov-April and Minnesota May-Oct )

Old 05-23-2010, 08:24 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
Quote:
Well, the winters aren't much better for sure. I do miss a good, hearty, winter (I then visit my daughter in MN). Winters are gray and muddy for the most part (here in N. Ala). Occasionally there is a good snow (Maybe once every 10 yrs) but usually it's ice. But...I'll take the winter over the summer any day. I really cannot take the heat or the bugs.
Taking a walk thru the woods in the summer is risky. It is very snaky and full of ticks. Most of the time, the woods aren't like where I grew up...nice to walk thru... down here it's full of underbrush and not so easy to walk through.
This past winter was actually colder than usual (or at least, for a longer duration) and last summer was one of the mildest ones I've experienced here in about 30 yrs.

However, having said all of that, I am now an assimilated southerner. My values have changed since those of my childhood having grown up a few mere miles from the peoples republic of Massachusetts and I'm sure it's a combination of aging and my surroundings (I was here before the big influx of yanks) and I wouldn't change that for anything.
To live in a city in Alabama is a very different experience than living in rural Alabama (particularly for someone from up north or the west coast). The charm of understanding what a "hose pipe" is, or what a warstusus (Wasp) is ...is lost in the cities. But anywhere, rural or city...can you get a coke. A 7up coke, a Dr. Pepper coke, an orange coke...and the list goes on. lol.

The Alabama coast would be a very different experience from being in the mountainous northern regions.

I expect that it doesn't take as much getting used to as it once did some years back. The world has gotten smaller.

I would love to take the New England weather and bring it here.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 PM

976 posts, read 2,684,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Well, the winters aren't much better for sure. I do miss a good, hearty, winter (I then visit my daughter in MN). Winters are gray and muddy for the most part (here in N. Ala). Occasionally there is a good snow (Maybe once every 10 yrs) but usually it's ice. But...I'll take the winter over the summer any day. I really cannot take the heat or the bugs.
Taking a walk thru the woods in the summer is risky. It is very snaky and full of ticks. Most of the time, the woods aren't like where I grew up...nice to walk thru... down here it's full of underbrush and not so easy to walk through.
This past winter was actually colder than usual (or at least, for a longer duration) and last summer was one of the mildest ones I've experienced here in about 30 yrs.

However, having said all of that, I am now an assimilated southerner. My values have changed since those of my childhood having grown up a few mere miles from the peoples republic of Massachusetts and I'm sure it's a combination of aging and my surroundings (I was here before the big influx of yanks) and I wouldn't change that for anything.
To live in a city in Alabama is a very different experience than living in rural Alabama (particularly for someone from up north or the west coast). The charm of understanding what a "hose pipe" is, or what a warstusus (Wasp) is ...is lost in the cities. But anywhere, rural or city...can you get a coke. A 7up coke, a Dr. Pepper coke, an orange coke...and the list goes on. lol.

The Alabama coast would be a very different experience from being in the mountainous northern regions.

I expect that it doesn't take as much getting used to as it once did some years back. The world has gotten smaller.

I would love to take the New England weather and bring it here.
Winters are cold here in Huntsville. I grew up in south-central Alabama and I have never experience a winter like the most recent one. Northern Alabama has the worst of Alabama's winters. I spent time chicago and I love the winters there, I feel like if it's going to get really cold, why not snow(enough to stay).

Last edited by mimpdaddy; 05-23-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 01:18 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
I can speak for weather in coastal Alabama. Fall and winter are amazing. Spring is nice, although extremely short. Summers are insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama