Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 13,973 times

Advertisements

My sister lives on the AF Base in Anchorage and my husband and I are considering taking our 2 children (Ages 2 &5) to visit her over Christmas break. We live in WI so cold weather does not scare us, but she hasn't been there long and doesn't have hints on things we should see.
What are good family things to do? Is a drive to Seward to see the Sea Life Center worth it? And what things are there to do in Seward if we spend a couple days?
Also I read that taking the Ferry to Kodiak is neat, but what would the kids enjoy there?
Any help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
There is a host of things you can do for the season.

Taking the Ferry to Kodiak that time of year may not be so much fun, the winter seas are a bit rough and the boat does rock pretty hard. Going to Seward is a very pretty drive in the winter, you will see a lot of snow in the passes. A trip down to Homer and the Spit is also a neat trip, although the summer stuff is closed down for the season, the view is still there!

A drive to Fairbanks in the winter is neat as well, you can go up past Fairbanks and see Chena Hot Springs and soak in the hot mineral water and watch the Northern Lights about that time of year. I you come up the Parks Highway, you can circle up and around back to Anchorage Via the Richardson highway to Glenallen and back to Anchorage.

While in Anchorage there is a number of places that are neat to see, a drive up to hilltop to see the city lights at night, museums, and a drive to Whitter though the tunnel and a night at Alyeska Ski resort is a bit pricey, but the ride up the lift to the upper restaurant is really neat to drink hot chocolate and see the valley on a clear day, or go skiing, they give lessons there as well.

Although winter isn't for most tourist, if you come and have a "base" to work out of, you can go a lot of places that are pretty neat to visit and take home a lot of memories. There is a lot of other folks here than can also give you some pointers of places to see.

Travel well and have fun!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:47 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcutzhare View Post
My sister lives on the AF Base in Anchorage and my husband and I are considering taking our 2 children (Ages 2 &5) to visit her over Christmas break. We live in WI so cold weather does not scare us, but she hasn't been there long and doesn't have hints on things we should see.
Also I read that taking the Ferry to Kodiak is neat, but what would the kids enjoy there?
Any help appreciated!
Kodiak at Christmas isn't the best place to go, The roads, what few there are, were icy, last Christmas, which limited travel even more. Last Christmas we went to Homer, took the ferry to Kodiak and back on the next trip. However we were unable to get much past the Coast Guard base which doubles as the airport which left way more than half half the roads unusable because they were icy. However we later went in June and went all the way to both ends at the tee. Saw a herd of Buffalo at the test range, and to the other end in a town that I can't say much about because it didn't appear to have much to do other than walk the beach. I tried to go out Anton Larsen Road but didn't get much past the golf course because the steep part hadn't been plowed. I wasn't able to get up Pillar Mountain because of the icy grade soon after we left the paved road portion. The road to Monoshka Bay was open all the way but that isn't much for sightseeing other than the bay.

The ferry trip is over the open ocean part of the way and on the calm seas was neat. I think one of the boats is out of service, at this time, so trips over might be limited this fall and winter. We made the round trip in four days staying in Kodiak. My wife has relatives there so we visited them which made our trip a success,

Old 10-16-2010, 07:51 PM

8 posts, read 13,973 times
Thanks so much. I think we have ruled out the ferry ride! We are considering heading north to Fairbanks or also Talkeetna.....How long will it take to drive to Fairbanks, and how much further is Chena Hot Springs? Already you have helped with our planning and deciding what things would be cost effective and easy to do.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:18 PM

45 posts, read 142,354 times
There are tons of things to do right in Anchorage. The holiday season is beautiful and there are many child-friendly activities. Downtown town square area has some activities and sights, check the paper for specifics. And of course there is always sledding and ice skating!

Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 9,709 times
You could visit the santa claus house in North Pole, AK.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:38 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
I think the drive to Fairbanks from Anchorage is roughly about 8 hours, depending on the road conditions and how many stops you make.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:51 PM

681 posts, read 1,207,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I think the drive to Fairbanks from Anchorage is roughly about 8 hours, depending on the road conditions and how many stops you make.
Yes....with kids 7 to 8 hours. It can be done in 6 without kid stops. The stretch from Trapper Creek to Cantwell can be pretty ugly when the weather is bad.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:17 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Fairbanks is about 350+- miles from Anchorage, if the roads are good, the speed limit is 65 most of the way, slower in a few areas, but the winter roads 55 is a better speed so you can figure out your own travel time from there.

Chena Hot Springs is about an hour drive North of Fairbanks and is worth the trip to go and soak in the Hot Water at night and watch the Northern Lights. The rooms there are a bit high, winter is the big part of the season there with most of the travelers from Japan. You can drive back to Fairbanks after the springs though.

Roughwoods Inn in Nenana has pretty good food/lodging and is about an hour South of Fairbanks and a nice break in the driving, cheaper on the rooms than Fairbanks too....

Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
How long are you spending...could depend if you want to see your sister... Where are you landing in AK...that could depend on your trip, but I would think going north and exploring might be more time efficient...save the peninsula for a summer vacation when you can go fishing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska