Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:55 PM

216 posts, read 364,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
ummm Lakester....didn't your tractor once put a mobile home up on the guard rails due to bad road condition's or is that what your talk'n about. if people have never driven in ice/snow road conditions.....well....beware...many times rather than hit the brakes it is " throttle out when in doubt" ice and black ice driving takes lots of practice! especially when your adding thousands of pounds of trailer behind that vehicle!

No - I was following another truck that lost the trailer, it went up on the guard rail/snowbank almost into the river, I stopped and unloaded the crane and picked it, reloaded and went on. I've never had a misshap with a rig, some close ones though. Knock on wood

Last edited by Lakester; 11-29-2010 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc5831 View Post
.I'd still like to hear any winter driving situations you guys were in. I know there was a lot of situations I encountered when I first started driving that I didn't realize were dangerous until they happened. Then I thought I was lucky and recognized them next time they came up.
In 2006 I drove solo down to Seattle and back. On the return trip I left Fort Nelson along with four other vehicles, two of them were moving from Texas to Alaska in two separate vehicles. They've never driven in the snow before and the second car went into a ditch on a small patch of frost, it wasn't that big either. They drove over their heads. They were alright but the car was toast. Don't drive over your head!

Old 11-29-2010, 07:10 PM

216 posts, read 364,425 times
I'll tell ya this I think hualing equipment out to Swanson river was the most nerve racking, that road used to be treacherous in the winter. Narrow, twisty and just a sheet of ice.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:41 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Rather than drive, I'd probably just hitchhike.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
I must be bored. I just read this whole thread while sitting in my air conditioned home in Southeast Florida. This thread is worse than a horror movie. My stomach has been fluttering the whole time.

I'd probably get a divorce if I was forced to make this drive, in winter, in the dark, in four days. What's the rush?

Really, Wouldn't it be so much nicer in spring, summer or fall and over 3 or 4 weeks?

Good luck to you and the Mrs. Mr. USMC.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:30 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
vpcats.

It's just the way we Alaskans roll. Every day is an Adventure.

Take two shrimp cocktails, turn up the AC and call my office in the morning. =)

Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
I'd much rather drive the Alcan in winter than ever drive in Southeast Florida again.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 AM

69 posts, read 140,622 times
lol, I bet most people have not read the whole thread.

Wanting to do as quickly as possible is not a rush. Rushing would be asking for trouble. We'll be as safe as we need to be. Of course everyone has their safety level. I want many thing I don't get. A winning lottery ticket, a non crack-headed dog, the mercury girl...

Trust me, I'd much rather make the drive in the summer, but the situation doesn't warrant that. Of course, part of me is excited for the winter ALCAN. Another story, some excitement. Living is what life is all about.

Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I must be bored. I just read this whole thread while sitting in my air conditioned home in Southeast Florida. This thread is worse than a horror movie. My stomach has been fluttering the whole time.

I'd probably get a divorce if I was forced to make this drive, in winter, in the dark, in four days. What's the rush?

Really, Wouldn't it be so much nicer in spring, summer or fall and over 3 or 4 weeks?

Good luck to you and the Mrs. Mr. USMC.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:30 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I must be bored. I just read this whole thread while sitting in my air conditioned home in Southeast Florida. .
I visited my brother in Florida ONCE. If I ever feel the need to remember that sun drenched hellhole I pull out the photo I took. Too many people with dried up alligator skin.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:41 AM

42 posts, read 60,398 times
Kudos to you vpcats.. .. I refuse to drive in Florida.. crazy crazy drivers..
give me the snow and ice any day!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska