Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 AM

157 posts, read 240,309 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to sound like an insensitive animal lover here, but your health and well-being is more important then that of your pets. Just stating the obvious that you need to take care of yourself to take care of them.

I have decided to forgo driving from WI to Ak this month, even though I am an experienced winter driver with a 4X4 vehicle. The thought of driving unfamiliar, potentially treacherous roads with my son and my dogs as my only passengers was just more of a risk then I felt like taking.

Tomorrow is our departure day. We fly out, with the dogs, and start our Alaska adventure.

Good luck whatever you decide. Taking a driving course is not a bad idea, but it still won't give you all the experience that you might require. Hours of driving in snowfall can be hypnotizing and different sections of road can behave differently in the same storm depending on cross-winds, shelter, etc. Although I haven't driven the Alcan, yet, I wouldn't really want to do any serious winter driving on a 24/7 basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:38 AM

216 posts, read 364,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn31 View Post
I don't mean to sound like an insensitive animal lover here, but your health and well-being is more important then that of your pets. Just stating the obvious that you need to take care of yourself to take care of them.

I have decided to forgo driving from WI to Ak this month, even though I am an experienced winter driver with a 4X4 vehicle. The thought of driving unfamiliar, potentially treacherous roads with my son and my dogs as my only passengers was just more of a risk then I felt like taking.

Tomorrow is our departure day. We fly out, with the dogs, and start our Alaska adventure.

Good luck whatever you decide. Taking a driving course is not a bad idea, but it still won't give you all the experience that you might require. Hours of driving in snowfall can be hypnotizing and different sections of road can behave differently in the same storm depending on cross-winds, shelter, etc. Although I haven't driven the Alcan, yet, I wouldn't really want to do any serious winter driving on a 24/7 basis.

[SIZE=2]Very sensible, used to be if you wrecked badly in Canada you could be SOL, you can't buy a car or truck as they are not USA certified. Few yrs ago, could be several yrs ago a family from AK wrecked and bought or got a car in Canada and was held up at the AK customs for days -- I think someone from AK finally went and picked them up, I don't think they ever got the car back.[/SIZE]

Have a good flight and good luck

Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
It is a bad idea to drive 24/7, driving tired is like driving drunk, things happen very quickly. I am a professionally trained commercial driver, we talked about this in training, driving while tired. It doesn't matter if there are two of you, it is still very dangerous to do. There is nothing like a fresh shower in the morning after a good 8 hours of sleep from the previous day's drive. You are going to have about 7-8 hours of daylight, you will be driving a lot in the dark. The dark does weird things to your mind, it makes you see things that aren't there. I've done the Alcan 17 times now and I do know my limits.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
New Orleans, LA to Fairbanks, AK - Google Maps

I'd do something like this.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:26 AM

69 posts, read 140,622 times
You guys are getting so hung up on the 24/7 thing. I've stated that all my plans are flexible and will improvise, adapt, and overcome as necessary. It has always been that way even though I didn't state that in my original post.

We've made many long trips driving 24/7. We have also stopped many times to take naps because we were too tired. I have more common sense than most people and am more safety conscience to boot. I will not put myself or my family into any more danger than is necessary.

As I have no winter driving experience, all I can do right now is watch what others are doing on the road. On the ALCAN there will not many others to watch. All the dozens of youtube videos and threads on winter driving have nothing on driving speeds except slow down. That isn't helpful. Hence my questions. There are rules you all are using subconsciously.

Once again thank you all for your concern and suggestions, I have already greatly modified my trip plans even before we have left.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
I think the goal is to help ensure your safety by offering opinions. If you are still on the AlCAN in January let me know. I'll stop by.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:37 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc5831 View Post
All the dozens of youtube videos and threads on winter driving have nothing on driving speeds except slow down. That isn't helpful. Hence my questions. There are rules you all are using subconsciously.
That's the point. There is no set speed. That's why we can't say drive 45mph or 30mph. The road conditions can literally change a dozen times in a 3 or 4 mile stretch. Some stretches of the Alcan I feel comfortable driving the posted speed limit in the winter even with snow on the ground but they can change in the blink of an eye.

That's why people are telling you not to drive at night. The ability to observe the road conditions are greatly dimished in the darkness. You won't be able to totally avoid night driving but you sure can limit it.

I may be one of the few but I will stop from time to time and actually feel the road surface with my hand or drag my foot across it. Never had an accident or been stuck while driving the Alcan in the winter cause I take my time.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:51 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Quote:
You guys are getting so hung up on the 24/7 thing. I've stated that all my plans are flexible and will improvise, adapt, and overcome as necessary. It has always been that way even though I didn't state that in my original post.

We've made many long trips driving 24/7. We have also stopped many times to take naps because we were too tired.
The point that I think you're missing is that it may be hard to do this the way you seem to expect it can be done. You're probably not going to be stopping to nap in the truck very long if it's below zero outside. And improvising is difficult when open gas stations and hotels/lodges are a lot further apart than you're used to. As you get further north there's not going to be much in the way of 24-hour pay-at-the-pump gas stations or hotels that are staffed all night. And if you're already outside of a city you won't be able to call ahead to find out what's open. You need to know where you can stop and when before you get there. Even if you were making reservations in advance it would be good to call other places to see where you could stay if you couldn't make it to your hotel on a given night. Since you're not willing to make reservations it's even more important. Read nwcountrygal's post again and think about that being you, but in winter instead.

Quote:
As I have no winter driving experience, all I can do right now is watch what others are doing on the road. On the ALCAN there will not many others to watch. All the dozens of youtube videos and threads on winter driving have nothing on driving speeds except slow down. That isn't helpful. Hence my questions. There are rules you all are using subconsciously.
If "slow down" isn't helpful, I'm not sure what will be. That and "don't slam on your brakes" are most of what you need to know. Slow everything down and think ahead. Slow down your acceleration, your highway speed, and your braking. Anticipate turns and hills (harder to do when you can't see them, of course). Nobody can tell you what speed to drive because it depends on the weather and the particular stretch of road you're on. Sometimes you can go normal speeds, sometimes you might be going 30. That's what adapting and being flexible means.

Last edited by tigre79; 11-29-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 11:57 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
They have winter and snow driving schools in Louisiana?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:00 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Winter driving skills can only be learned through experience. No amount of talk on an online forum will do you much good. For example, when encountering a skid during a turn on a snow covered road, there are numerous options available. Brake, decelerate through engine braking, or even apply power by stepping on the gas. Turn into the skid, turn away, or steer steady. All are dictated by road conditions, and knowing the handling characteristics of the particular vehicle. Four wheel drive, two wheel, rear wheel, AWD? Studded or non-studded tires? Open rear differential or limited-slip? Etc... All will affect the handling of the vehicle and hence the appropriate response to a particular situation.

Perhaps the most widely applicable piece of advice given here so far is reducing speed. But even that cannot be taken as a universal constant. Losing forward momentum in deep snow or on an icy hill can be just as bad as going too fast in certain situations. Again, only experience and a good feel for the road can let you know what speed is appropriate. I’ve spent years behind the wheel in winter conditions, and still I find myself puckering from time to time in hairy situations! IMO there is no other way to learn winter driving than lots of windshield time.

Perhaps you are encountering so much pushback in this forum because you still keep falling back on your original statement:
Quote:
my plans are flexible and will improvise, adapt, and overcome as necessary
To me at least, that statement sounds like you are going to “wing it” – i.e. you really don’t have a plan. In my business, security wouldn’t even let you out of the gate onto the Dalton Hwy with an attitude like that. Safely driving in the Arctic requires the exact opposite – a real plan encompassing routes, itineraries, communications, and check-ins. At the very least I would hope you let someone know of your plans so they can notify the proper authorities if you go unaccounted for.

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 11-29-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska