Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:54 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
The Canadians take great care of the highway in winter, it's a vital highway for both the States and Canada. The road crews are out in force to keep the roads clear of snow and sanded/pea graveled to keep up the traction. Sell as much things as you can and buy new when you get here. I'd lose the trailer, too.

Drive BC BC Roads

Canada and United States Travel - Highway and Road Conditions, Weather, Airports, Ferries, Traffic and Transit

Current Road Conditions - Highways and Public Works - Government of Yukon

While that is true, I have to say that there are times when the weather is faster then the road crew! Watch out for Freak Warm weather and ICY roads! Watch the curves and bind corners (even with 4x4 and great tires, ditches are better taken then rear-ending a parked semi truck blocking both lanes due to ice)

And all the above advice is excellent

(tammy ~ 9 time AlCan Highway survivor)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 12:00 PM

Might you consider Shipping your pets with Alaska Air instead of driving with them? Especially a diabetic dog that wont eat. Sounds like a real recipe for disaster if you ask me. I am pretty sure Alaska Air (Gold Streak) ships from your area as well. (or at least they will ship to your area from here)

We used to breed English Mastiffs and would ship via Alaska Air because they have heated cargo holds. And they treat the animals very well.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:53 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,291,368 times
Having a friend watch your pets and then shipping them once you're here sounds like a good idea, if possible. I believe all the airlines have pressurized and climate-controlled cargo compartments, but check to make sure. Also ask about external temperature restrictions, since they will have to be outside on the tarmac at some point and at least some airlines won't let them fly if it's too hot or too cold outside.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:16 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Every issue would be solved if you journey in June? Prettier IMO.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:20 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
Nothing wrong with a winter drive, just don't drive over your head. I've done four winter trips and thirteen summer/fall trips. Winter is a great time to drive, no RV's on the road. It's really not as bad as everyone thinks, especially those who say it's dangerous probably have not have driven up in winter.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:34 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
I have. It's potentially risky. Add pets with special needs driving at night pulling a trailer.... recipe for disaster IMO.

No soup for you. =)

Old 11-25-2010, 02:38 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,459 times
Pet friendly hotels - in US and most Canada (except Prince George and Anchorage) Best Westerns/Kellie Inns pet friendly usually add $10-25 per pet keep in mind at most places. Also Red Lions most Holiday Inns, and some Super 8's. In Watson Lake sorry for spelling The Belavader Hotel takes pets. Coast to Coast Inns in Canada takes pets except Anchorage. Only place I found in Whitehorse is Best Western downtown. Coast to Coast in Prince George or went blank will try to remember are the only two I found that will take dogs over 20lbs. Fort Nelson Hotel will also take dogs you just have to stay in the back.

5 x 25 per animal each night your looking at $50 -$125 per night addition.And maybe tricky with that many. Again may want to look into flying animals. Or at least some of them? Air restrictions when flying my dog - health certificate states 25degrees to blank. I have had the vet change it to 10 degrees to 100 for my dog. Although he is healthy and young enough to handle it. Maybe ship from Seattle dogs and trailer? to make it easier?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Nothing wrong with a winter drive, just don't drive over your head. I've done four winter trips and thirteen summer/fall trips. Winter is a great time to drive, no RV's on the road. It's really not as bad as everyone thinks, especially those who say it's dangerous probably have not have driven up in winter.

Agreed in part but we are talking about people that have admitted to having no snow / winter driving experience. We have also drove the AlCan in all different seasons, including Late Oct, Christmas and February. Each one was an adventure in and of itself. We have drove in Suburbans, Chevy Beretta (with trailer), huge lifted 4x4 Dodge Diesel, ect... So, yeah. Been there, Done that.

I think they can do it. But they also need to know what they are potentially getting themselves into. Why do Interior Alaskans routinely pack full winter gear, snacks, blankets, sand, chains, etc into their trunks in the winter? Because quite frankly, you never know and at -55F you need to be prepared, just in case.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:28 PM

69 posts, read 140,773 times
Lots of replies, I was expect a few head slap animations.

I am always fully honest with myself and my abilities, not doing so gets you in trouble.

Here is where we are. We have decided to buy a camper shell and only bring what we can fit in the truck and buy replacements in AK. Although I think we'd likely be fine towing the trailer, it does increase the potential dangers enough for me to not do it.

I will look into the pet shipping, but I doubt I'd do it. I trust myself way more to ensure the safety of my pets than strangers. Plus my diabetic cat would be even less likely to eat in that environment that with me. 2 days without eating he would be in extreme danger because of his health issues. I know I can get him to eat if I fed him some tuna or KFC.

So what about the 24/7 driving. As people have already mentioned, the extra hotel expenses would be painful for my pocket book. I am well prepared for this trip and could pay the extra money with no problems, but I'd rather save the money.

I plan on getting some really bright headlights and drive extra slow at night and in the mountains.

Any thoughts on how dangerous this is? Most people have been concentrating on the dangers of towing a trailer.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:30 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,576,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc5831 View Post
Lots of replies, I was expect a few head slap animations.

I am always fully honest with myself and my abilities, not doing so gets you in trouble.

Here is where we are. We have decided to buy a camper shell and only bring what we can fit in the truck and buy replacements in AK. Although I think we'd likely be fine towing the trailer, it does increase the potential dangers enough for me to not do it.

I will look into the pet shipping, but I doubt I'd do it. I trust myself way more to ensure the safety of my pets than strangers. Plus my diabetic cat would be even less likely to eat in that environment that with me. 2 days without eating he would be in extreme danger because of his health issues. I know I can get him to eat if I fed him some tuna or KFC.

So what about the 24/7 driving. As people have already mentioned, the extra hotel expenses would be painful for my pocket book. I am well prepared for this trip and could pay the extra money with no problems, but I'd rather save the money.

I plan on getting some really bright headlights and drive extra slow at night and in the mountains.

Any thoughts on how dangerous this is? Most people have been concentrating on the dangers of towing a trailer.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Well as far as 24/7 driving you have some issue to contend with.

The darkness, which to me isn't a big deal, I just drive slower and I have lights on the truck that light up a lot farther down the road than normal ones do. The critters don't reflect light very well until they are almost a "Hood Mount".

The Lonely, which is what the winter roads are like at -40 if you break down you will need arctic gear to tide you over til someone comes by if you have issues like hitting a critter, slide off the road, or have a mechanical break down.

The services, there aren't many open in the winter during the daylight hours as it is, at night you may drive a few hundred miles or more and find nothing open for gas/food/lodging.

Basically, don't plan on a really fast trip, get up before daylight to hit the road a few hours before daylight and drive during daylight hours and check the Alaska Milepost on places to stay. Your cell phone will work in the major cities and you will get zapped a foreign country charge when you do use it, but outside of leaving Dawson Creek, Haines Junction and Whitehorse, you won't have cell coverage for the most part, that is a bit over a thousand miles of nothing. A CB radio is better served.

Not knowing your winter driving skills or the condition of you truck, I would error on the side of caution. Regardless, you will have a trip of a lifetime! Even with any misfortunes you might encounter will make for great stories later on as long as it is just petty stuff.

Oh, by the way, there is about a thousand miles between KFC joints along the way after Dawson, maybe one in Whitehorse now, I didn't see one.

But basically, the AlCan road itself is in pretty good shape nowdays, but still is a thread though the wilderness and will be nothing you are use to so please take care.

Have a great trip! And stop by Laird Hot Springs and go back and get into the hot mineral water, it is worth the entire trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska