Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:26 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,048,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I was north of Fairbanks in the military back in the 80's. We were up on a hill top in the middle of the night. There was an awesome green band slithering back and forth like a snake. It looked close enough to touch. We would yell and it seemed like the thing reacted. And when we just sat there in total silence...I swear you could hear it crackling!
You were 'yelling' at the northern lights?

....are you sure you didn't hear cackling......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 01:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
I was north of Fairbanks in the military back in the 80's. We were up on a hill top in the middle of the night. There was an awesome green band slithering back and forth like a snake. It looked close enough to touch. We would yell and it seemed like the thing reacted. And when we just sat there in total silence...I swear you could hear it crackling!
I have no doubt that you heard the northernlights. I've heard too many reports from other people to casually dismiss such accounts. They have all pretty much described the same situation: In a remote location in the bush, away from any road, village, town, or city; in the middle or late winter; lots of northernlight activity; and extremely quiet.

It appears to be a very rare occurance, when conditions are just right. While I have not heard the crackling you describe, I hope I will one day.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
In 1972, I lived in an old log cabin at the base of FlatTop Mtn, immediately adjacent to the gate into Chugach State Park. I can remember numerous occasions walking in to my cabin from O'Malley road and enjoying the splendor of those magical lights. Like Rance said, I could hear em crackle. I imagine that old log cabin is long gone and the whole area is built up with McMansions by now. Most of the roads up there were gravel / muddy roads back then. My God, it's been 35 years since I lived in Alaska!

blessings....Franco

Old 12-21-2007, 02:12 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default best way to see the lights

Perhaps the best way to see the northern lights is to have a colicky baby.

That'll garauntee that you'll be up and about a LOT in the middle of the night, when the rest of the world is sleeping right through all those auroral displays. Of course, you're gonna be a bit busy most of the time and you don't really get outside much, but you'll certainly get plenty of chances to be looking out the windows at all hours of the night.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:09 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,417,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Perhaps the best way to see the northern lights is to have a colicky baby.

That'll garauntee that you'll be up and about a LOT in the middle of the night, when the rest of the world is sleeping right through all those auroral displays. Of course, you're gonna be a bit busy most of the time and you don't really get outside much, but you'll certainly get plenty of chances to be looking out the windows at all hours of the night.
Did you see the Northern Lights over Santa Claus the other night? I had just finished a life threatening night of sledding about midnight and saw them

Old 12-22-2007, 10:03 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Just my luck, I am deaf to high frequency sound, another side-effect of a throughly mis-spent youth, too many explosions, too much gunfire. This does have an up side, I hear crickets, all the time, I hear crickets. It is a relaxing sound, I sleep well,and if I toss and turn with severe insomnia, it may take me almost 30 seconds to drift off.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:10 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
(yelling) HEY DUSTY, THEY MAKE NOISE LIKE RICE CRISPY TREATS! My ears ring constantly, too. I can still hear high pitch things though. Don't know how long that'll last though.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:30 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
I don't think it's a high pitched sound, is it?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I don't think it's a high pitched sound, is it?
Xa'at, is your hearing going too, and at such a young age. Poor thing.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
I've never heard the Northern Lights, so I wouldn't know what it sounds like. But from descriptions, it doesn't sound like a high pitched noise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska