Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:37 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

fk--the bananas I've gotten here are not so bad, really. Bananas are picked and shipped before they are even ripe.

I do think though that c.adam had a good point. That person was talking about fuel costs et al in relation to global warming. But that's going to be true of anyplace, really, and all the more reason, in my opinion, for people to try to depend less on the grocery stores and more on their own innovation when it comes to their food sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 PM

144 posts, read 744,325 times
I kind of monitor a few of my favs at the local groceries... so just as info (and at the risk of sounding like a contestant on the Price is Right!!!)

In Fairbanks, peppers are smaller and more beaten up. Green peppers are $2 each, red/yellow/orange are $4 each. Bananas as stated earlier - are really okay. $1.29/lb. Cucumbers aren't as bad, and they are *good* . HOWEVER - I have bought strawberries and grapes with mold already on them. Melons are expensive. Tomatoes are horrid. Expensive and not good. Apples are good!

On the flipside... while rhubarb is $2.29/lb at fred meyer... there are more people giving it away than I thought possible... I have a freezer-full ready for pies. I got a grocery bag of lettuce yesterday from a coworker. I would be willing to bet you could just about make it during the summer on a big garden and fish that you caught (if you're that kind of vegetarian...sorry not pc up on this stuff).

Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
I thought vegetarians = no eating fish? or was that vegan? or is vegan = not eating anything.... hmm.

Ok. Good to know on the bananers! yes - I've heard strawberries are pretty sad sometimes over there. It makes for an interesting point, especially I would think for any vegetarians that are wanting to relocate, to start your own garden!!! Just beware the moose? I've seen the warnings that they jump 6 foot fences just to have their morning trample.

/cheers

Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 AM

13 posts, read 68,215 times
Thanks so much everyone for your input. You have helped tremendously. I now have this picture of a moose in my garden and trying to chase him out with a waterhose like I do the little deer around here. hmmmm

Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 AM

95 posts, read 351,793 times
Default greenhouse

From some of the real estate pics I've seen, it appears that having a small greenhouse in your backyard is not unusual "up there".

I would expect you could grow your leaf lettuces maybe year-round... and get a good head start on the summer garden by starting your own seeds. Of course, tomatoes just aren't the same grown in a greenhouse.

but hey, there's always canned and frozen veggies and fruits available too.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:58 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danandcindy11801 View Post
I now have this picture of a moose in my garden and trying to chase him out with a waterhose like I do the little deer around here. hmmmm
a waterhose? bah..... isn't that what they invented scarecrows for? They work on moose... right guys? ...guys?

Old 07-20-2007, 12:07 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Leaf lettuce grows great here. I've got 3 rows 50 foot long with three kinds in it now. I'm already giving stuff away. I still don't know why I made such a big garden.
A greenhouse is good for the things that need to start early and grow late. I don't have one but nearly everyone I know does.
Many can or jar their veggies for use through the winter.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,412,216 times
As far a a greenhouse for year around not sure it would be cost affective for an individual home. I supply natural gas to several greenhouses here in Anchorage and their fuel bills for heating in the winter times is way off the scale when it comes monthly expense. that is one of the reason our nurseries are more expensive than those in the lower 48's, not uncommom to see a monthly heating bill for a nursery to be $50,000.00 in the middle of winter.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,412,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
Greenhouses work pretty well here. That is something you may consider. Our berries really are the BEST. You can find raspberry patches, and fields of blueberries. Or you can do it the easy way and clean out a neighbors garden. Just blame it on the moose and leave evidence. A trampled fence, etc.
Wow I like it, our neighbor has a nice garden I will have to try the moose idea before all the goods are gone.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:16 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
I think it depends on where you are. I think living in a large city (Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau) will not be any different, however I would certainly not recommend moving to Sitka or Angoon, etc...
In Juneau the fruits don't taste any worse (or better!) than the stuff down south.
I think Alaska is actually an okay place to be vegetarian, but probably not a great place to be a vegan. It really depends on whether you eat fish!
I only eat poultry and fish and I have found Alaska to be absolutely fine. We have lots of oriental restaurants with veggie options, a nice natural foods store (Rainbow Foods), etc...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska