Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 PM

202 posts, read 356,173 times

Advertisements

A lot of property for sale in that area. That area is north of the anchor river and tends to have better water.That said you really need to check the neighbors and see what they have. The wet land stuff better be cheap you can't do much with it but enjoy nature. I bought 10 acres 5 years ago for 10k about 6 of the acres is wet land but the other 4 acres are nice. a lot of nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 7,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinhomer View Post
A lot of property for sale in that area. That area is north of the anchor river and tends to have better water.That said you really need to check the neighbors and see what they have. The wet land stuff better be cheap you can't do much with it but enjoy nature. I bought 10 acres 5 years ago for 10k about 6 of the acres is wet land but the other 4 acres are nice. a lot of nature.
Great idea to check with locals. Seller(s) are not returning emails about land use. Pictures on real estate site(s) of the area show lovely views. My husband grew up in the Russian village, Niko. I am surprised he does not know more about the area. Have you already built on your land?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:16 PM

202 posts, read 356,173 times
Have you already built on your land?

No this little piece of land is just for camping so far. We only live about 6 miles from this land by the crow. driving is about 10 miles and 30-40 minutes. I looked up that ranch. I had some friends with good water 2-3 miles from that area off Chakok road.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinhomer View Post
Have you already built on your land?

No this little piece of land is just for camping so far. We only live about 6 miles from this land by the crow. driving is about 10 miles and 30-40 minutes. I looked up that ranch. I had some friends with good water 2-3 miles from that area off Chakok road.

Jake, representing the ranch was just on Facebook. He answered my question about muskeg. There are some fine pictures of the area showing the lay of the land too. Seems like there is quite a little community being established there. You were spot on. There are dozens of listings right around Anchor Point.

All My Best.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,761 times
Just beware that maintained access ends before you cross the bridge on Kostino. You probably wouldn't be able to live there year-round unless you maintain the road yourself.
It is very pretty out there, and water shouldn't be too hard to find.

I've got a spot just across the Chakok River from Niko.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,767 times
Hey there,

I'm currently looking at buying a property in the East End area, And having potable water is a concern. In your experience, is there enough rainfall for water catchment system?, in addition to having a cistern setup?

Is it legal to haul your own water, or are you required to haul water via a company? Here in Wyoming we can holler own water and there is City Water available for a minimal fee?

If you don't mind answering these questions, Would you also let me know how you like living there?

I intend on retiring up there, minimal Financial ability, physically impaired, But I'm tired of hard Central Wyoming Winters, and I'm looking forward to the much milder winters of the Kenai.. thank you for your time J R Bailey

Old 07-15-2018, 10:04 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal75 View Post
I'm currently looking at buying a property in the East End area
Just curious... Have you visited and looked at the property yourself?

Old 07-15-2018, 11:14 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
You can haul water and even set up a catchment system off east end road. I helped build a half a million dollar house in that area that had a 2000 gallon water tank in the basement as their water supply. There's multiple companies that will deliver the water to you as well.

Homer winters are only mild by Alaska standards. You'll still get a full winter experience by any means living off east end road.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:53 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal75 View Post
Hey there,

I'm currently looking at buying a property in the East End area, And having potable water is a concern. In your experience, is there enough rainfall for water catchment system?, in addition to having a cistern setup?

Is it legal to haul your own water, or are you required to haul water via a company? Here in Wyoming we can holler own water and there is City Water available for a minimal fee?

If you don't mind answering these questions, Would you also let me know how you like living there?

I intend on retiring up there, minimal Financial ability, physically impaired, But I'm tired of hard Central Wyoming Winters, and I'm looking forward to the much milder winters of the Kenai.. thank you for your time J R Bailey
Um, what do you consider a Central Wyoming Winter and what do you consider a mild winter? Compared to the Interior, the Kenai is milder, but it's still solid unbroken winter with wind chills, will last much longer than Wyoming, the short dark days, pretty solid freeze-up of surface water sources and soils, etc.

I've lived outside Homer for a couple of years only (but have lived elsewhere in the state a lot longer), and find the water situation really varies a lot by location. I would not depend on developing my own water source....consider a place that already knows what's there or not there. As you travel up East End Road toward the head of Kachemak Bay it makes sense that you'd find more muskeg boggy ground so the water may be worse there. Lots of people living out East End Road haul water. Looked at a couple of places there and none had wells.

I live up "on top" above the bench and town, but closer to the Anchor River. Some people haul water, some have wells. I have a well. Hard iron-rich water, but it's manageable. As the larger alpine icefields melt the KP is lifting and drying out. Less and less snowpack over the years, but more hard bare ice freezes. Eventually, my well may become unusable. The amount of snowpack recharge varies a lot, being so close to marine influence. One winter there was usually 5' snow depth on the property. The next, there was barely a foot at deepest. City water will be better quality than most wells. Don't know the rates. You would probably need a large capacity cistern if you don't haul. I'd suggest talking to one of the local water hauling companies or a well driller to get a better idea what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska