Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times

Advertisements

'Frontline' documents Catholic church's apologies for abuse: Religion | Alaska news at adn.com

I'm catholic, not too proud though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 12:34 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
the greatest trick the devil ever pulled....in the disguise of Christianity! too bad it has made good Catholics feel guilty. Never have been Catholic so I don't know how it would feel to be of this faith and have to live with what some have done. Hopefully this meeting helped some of the ones victimized.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:10 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,552 times
oh, don't worry, it happens in protestant churches as well.
at least two protestant churches that i've attended have had some kind of abuse going on or have had convicted sex offenders working as pastors. i say "at least" because those are only the ones that i know about. both victims and abusers seem to be very secretive...

Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
Evil permeates every establishment; Wolves in sheeps clothing is the proper term used 'biblically'.

Religion is phoney - it is completly powerless. Merly the rules and traditions of men. There is only one book in the whole world whose Author claims to be God. It is a relationship based on 'what HE says'. Not men.

I was born & raised Catholic; I left that 'establishment' in search of the Truth when I was 17. I simply wasn't getting any answers to my many questions. Then I read the bible and found out why!!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:12 PM

189 posts, read 327,568 times
Abuse happens in all religions, I think Catholics are getting the brunt of the "publicity" for it for 2 reasons; They are a huge religious organization which permeates through out government, and across the globe.
They hold to the belief that their priests should stay single as well as the nuns which is hard for other people to understand and so they start wondering how these men and women abstain from what most feel is a necessity of life. Then when something like this happens it becomes a matter of "Oh see that's what they do instead of getting married, or well that makes sense all priests are pedophiles and gay" We seek to condemn that which we don't understand. I have known many great Catholics, in fact I've known a lot of great people from almost every major religion, as well as a lot of not so great people.
In the church I was raised in abuse was quickly hushed and swept under the carpet both abuse that happened at the hands of our pastors, elders, and decons, as well as abuse that happened within the family. My own pastor didn't want to baptize me because I told on my dad for what he was doing .. funny that same church said all Catholics were going to hell.. and people wonder why I have no use for religion now...

Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM

As I said: "religion" is all too phoney - and there in is the proof.

A 'relationship' is different and it is based on HIS TRUTH(s).

The word "faithful" does not apply to any human being; That word belongs to God only. HE never fails. Humans always do.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:17 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
The cruelest irony in this whole ordeal is that the entire reason that priests and nuns are required to be celibate is so the Church didn't have to pay benefits to the family and the Church didn't have to compete with a family for your loyalty. It's about money and control, not being closer to God. Really, how hard is it to control someone when you've removed their means of self-support (vow of poverty) and removed them from their emotional support network of family and friends (vow of chastity)?

If I remember correctly, those are the first things most cults do when they indoctrinate people.

But anyway, it's nice to see the leaders of any formal religion initiate open discussions about the abuses that could be occurring in their system, and at least appear apologetic for what happened even if they don't necessarily admit that they way they manage their system may have contributed to the abuses in the first place.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 PM

Missing I have to disagree with you, the Catholic church had celibate priests and nuns long before anyone knew anything about getting benefits from work and they aren't forbidden contact with their family unlike most cults that do not allow you any access to the outside world, I could be wrong but I believe nuns and priests are allowed to visit and have contact with their family.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Catholicisim is not a cult.

The first sign of a cult are those that deny the divinity of Christ!

Read Kingdom of the Cults by Walter Martin.

Jehovah Witness / Mormons / Moonies are just some of the many modern day cults. Each of them deny the Fact the Jesus is GOD.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:30 PM

I don't believe Jesus is God, not a member of any cult or religious organization. My understanding is Jesus is the Son of God, I have five sons, they are not me, they are their own person.
A cult is defined as
a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader. My interpretation is when people follow one man as the "direct" and only link to eternity. Usually that leader tends to be out there and demand a lot of his followers while reaping great profits for himself.

I think we have pulled this way off topic though. Sorry Joe Joe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska