Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is alaska worth living considering the high cost of living compared to other states with much low co
yes 16 59.26%
yupp sure 5 18.52%
no 3 11.11%
not at all 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I have found that Cost of Living varies a great deal by what you like to do, eat, and what type of place you want to live.

For example, in AK most places do not have property taxes I have been told. I spend about $5k per year on property taxes in Florida. My home owners insurance just went to $9k this year and it is $5k a year for auto insurance. Alot of these ridiculous figures just happened over the last few years though.
Wow I saved 20k ?? by not owning a home; or car or property!!

Hmmm!! That is hilarious!! I love the Arctic !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,242,370 times
Right, I see very little difference. And like I said, beef is much cheaper up here.
It really is all about how you want to live, what you are use to, and where you may be coming from.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
I have found that Cost of Living varies a great deal by what you like to do, eat, and what type of place you want to live.

For example, in AK most places do not have property taxes I have been told. I spend about $5k per year on property taxes in Florida. My home owners insurance just went to $9k this year and it is $5k a year for auto insurance. Alot of these ridiculous figures just happened over the last few years though.
Don't let the property tax thing fool you. Most places in Alaska don't have them, but most people here pay them. The outlying areas that don't have them aren't places with many jobs and things are pretty expensive out here.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Yes, SityData you did by not owning any of those here... (I have two cars, so cut that car insurance savings in half) I can show you the bills if you don't believe me...

I know Alaska is expensive and it supposedly is more expensive than Florida, although the above three items were not included in the analysis... In Florida certain things are just way out of wack. Other things are tons cheaper. Renewing your license plates are cheap ($100 for my 2011 F350) and generally all types of food, including fresh fruits and vegetables. Heck, we can just about grow something here all year around.

I have been told that parts of Alaska have 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding... Gas prices in "urban centers" in AK are about the same as here, maybe .10 to .20 a gal more according to fuel price web-sites. You may have to drive a lot further to get to things, but I know my traffic is worse. Ohh and we really do not have subsistence hunting here and you can't go out and cut wood to cool the house down. (I guess in theory you could build a gasifier to power a generator that would run an AC)

One thing is for sure, our Native American Indian population in Florida are one of the wealthiest groups of people here. They get very large monthly checks from their tribe. Kind of like AK's PFD but they are paid thousands each month per person instead of $1300 or so a year.

To answer the poll's question, if I went to AK and liked it - I could figure out a way to move there. Since I have a good job and a pension here in Florida it would have to be TONS cheaper for me to move there, regardless of how much I liked it. Now after I retire, I believe it would be TONS cheaper to live there and a whole bunch of other places too!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, SityData you did by not owning any of those here... (I have two cars, so cut that car insurance savings in half) I can show you the bills if you don't believe me...

I know Alaska is expensive and it supposedly is more expensive than Florida, although the above three items were not included in the analysis... In Florida certain things are just way out of wack. Other things are tons cheaper. Renewing your license plates are cheap ($100 for my 2011 F350) and generally all types of food, including fresh fruits and vegetables. Heck, we can just about grow something here all year around.

I have been told that parts of Alaska have 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding... Gas prices in "urban centers" in AK are about the same as here, maybe .10 to .20 a gal more according to fuel price web-sites. You may have to drive a lot further to get to things, but I know my traffic is worse. Ohh and we really do not have subsistence hunting here and you can't go out and cut wood to cool the house down. (I guess in theory you could build a gasifier to power a generator that would run an AC)

One thing is for sure, our Native American Indian population in Florida are one of the wealthiest groups of people here. They get very large monthly checks from their tribe. Kind of like AK's PFD but they are paid thousands each month per person instead of $1300 or so a year.

To answer the poll's question, if I went to AK and liked it - I could figure out a way to move there. Since I have a good job and a pension here in Florida it would have to be TONS cheaper for me to move there, regardless of how much I liked it. Now after I retire, I believe it would be TONS cheaper to live there and a whole bunch of other places too!

I agree with everything you have said Dakster, But I live @ the oppositve end of the price range(s).

In Point Hope fuel is 6 bux a gallon. There is no need for a vehicle; as you can walk anyplace in town in a few minutes. No property taxes for home owners in the villages. I live here because I love the 'simplicity' of it all.

A small "dinosaur' frozen black steak will run about 17 bucks in Pt. Hope.

I fell in love with the Arctic as soon as I arrived up here, I didn't want to leave - paradise!!

I live quite comfortably with my 4 pensions every month; 40 yrs IBEW (happily retired 13 years ago @ age 50).

Between sales of my photographs & the boys Ivory business - we are quite content and well off.

We spend outrageous money on food in Barrow and even here in Anchorage. Everything is like 2/3'rds off here in Anch. Everything is so cheap. I am too used to village prices - which are ridiculous.

I am very anxious to get back up north. Hoping to fly out of here in a matter of weeks, to get back home in the Arctic.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
You live in Anchorage.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
You live in Anchorage.
Doh!! Sherlock himself!! I just finished saying I can't wait to get back to the Arctic. Oh I guess that part wasn't important to you.

I am only down-here temporarily! I have said that over a dozen times. Oh, that's right, homeless under a bridge someplace was your last response.

0 - for TEN. !! that WAS the tenth time you have spouted off and been WRONG!

Finally, finally you got one right! Yes I am in Anchorage mr holmes!!

GOOD SHOW OL CHAP!! spot on!! bloody good for U.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Yawn...

Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Yawn again.

30 years in the arctic.

Gave up your belongings and left.

Hernia in your tummy.

Snot on your hands.

We make thousands a week with carvings...

blah blah blah.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Good luck SityData and I hope you get back to where you want to be!

I look forward to a simpler life... One day I will get there. I can retire with a full pension by the time I am 48 - doesn't mean I will though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska