Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is alaska worth living considering the high cost of living compared to other states with much low co
yes 16 59.26%
yupp sure 5 18.52%
no 3 11.11%
not at all 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 PM

13 posts, read 27,040 times

Advertisements

hi!
i've know that the cost of living is very high.
but if you look at walmart,taco bell and other standard shops that can be found in most of the states , is the cost high comparatively Or is it the same standard cost that one may find in all the states ?
and about taco bell-the HOt offers that tacobell comes up with frequently-are they applicable at the TBs at ALASKA ?
and Im very curious as to what would be the cost of feeding a four-member family per week.
and if you would compare the cost of some of the basic items available in ALASKA and TEXAS-to what extent is alaska expensive ?(some examples will be highly appreciated)
about the cost of houses-I know they're really high and I am well aware of the range.
and are the cost of outfits high compared to texas ?
and do the gasoline prices vary much as compared to the other states?
any imput regarding all or any of these questions will be highly treasured.
thanks.
p.s.:im not a texan-just that I know the cost of things there since i've been here since 4 years for undergraduate studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 03:27 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
if you look over to the right on the bar above the threads you will see "search this forum" type in "cost of living" and you will come up with all the threads on the subject you are questioning. happy reading as there is a lot to read...you will find your answers many many times over.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:06 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Obviously things are going to vary by region in AK, so I can only speak in specifics about the area where I live (rural Interior, on the road). Costs are much higher off the road system, and generally speaking the are lowest in and around Anchorage since stuff gets shipped up en masse. Costs in Fairbanks are not as high as other parts in the state for most stuff, again because stores can buy in larger bulk, and there is more competition as there are more shops.

Where I live the cost of staple foods are about the same as in the lower 48, especially if you buy them in bulk. Brand name pre-packaged stuff is a little higher, and produce, specialty items and non-local meats are extremely spendy. So if you shop smart, know how to cook, and don't have special dietary needs you can feed a family for not too much more than in the lower 48, especially if you garden, hunt or fish (or have family or friends who do so). But that requires effort and, for a lot of people, a lifestyle change.

I don't know when I last ate at a chain restaurant, so I can't help you there.

Gas here was around $4.50 when if filled up last week.

I mostly order online for nicer clothes so it's 'normal' prices plus shipping. It's jeans and sweatshirts for day-to-day life for me, though.

Land is less costly around here than it is in the Midwest where I moved from, but building is more expensive. Probably best to look at realty listings online for the area you're interested in.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 PM

23 posts, read 51,996 times
Cost of Living comparison calculator

Here's a link that may be of help.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
Seems to me that most things are nearly the same price except for meat, milk, and produce.
Do you have access to the military commissary? It's about 50% cost savings over the town stores.
I highly suggest trying out Costco and buying in Bulk. It's the only way to afford feeding a family in Alaska.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:16 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,610 times
This gives some cost comparisons.

http://laborstats.alaska.gov/col/col.pdf

Old 04-25-2011, 07:59 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
The commercial for Subway here in Bethel is "$8 8 $8 foot longs."

Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
We don't have Taco Bell. So you have to add $120 (at least in my truck) to whatever a taco costs.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
When trying to figure the cost of living in Alaska, you have to consider that we don't have a Subway nor bus lines like in NY, for example. It means that one has to drive to most stores just to buy groceries, and everything else, and this is something that adds quite a lot to the cost of living in Alaska. Also, I am referring about the cost of living in Fairbanks and neighboring towns, not bush Alaska where things have to be flown or barged-in and can be a lot more expensive. So, just comparing product prices in the lower-48 versus the same products in Alaska does not hold a lot of water.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 PM

13 posts, read 27,040 times
no taco bell ?!
this says there are taco bells in alaska and many in anchorage according to google maps
taco bell in alaska - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska