Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:29 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times

Advertisements

It's hard to change the mind of someone who has been somewhere for their entire lives and has seen the changes that have happened and become very upset about said changes. There are folks back home where I'm from and up here in the mountains that are proof of that.

What's good and encouraging is that there are people here who are realistic and understand that Alaska can't be what it once was, and nowhere can really. Just ask Montana. They have a lot of old ranches being bought and turned into big, luxury homes that will only be used for 2 weeks out of the year, rendering 600 acres of once-premium ranch land useless to any serious rancher. So now all the ranchers are all but gone, and it sucks, really bad because that was their culture and their way of doing things in Western Montana for a long time. But like I said, it doesn't do anyone much good to sit around worrying and complaining about things you can't change. Alaska isn't going anywhere, and you're still lucky to live in such a beautiful, relatively unspoiled place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 02:41 PM

693 posts, read 1,607,036 times
I always find the "I can't stand the change" stuff fairly amusing. Each generation brings change...those complaining about change brought about their own change to whatever community they are in, even in the communities where they were born and bred. It's just the way it is. Life, culture, and society are not stagnant. New ideas are born, thinking evolves, technology grows. Best thing is to preserve what you love, strive to change what you can't stand, and adapt where necessary.

Of course Alaska has changed, but appreciate the place for the good stuff. Whinging is so boring.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:08 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
I always find the "I can't stand the change" stuff fairly amusing. Each generation brings change...those complaining about change brought about their own change to whatever community they are in, even in the communities where they were born and bred. It's just the way it is. Life, culture, and society are not stagnant. New ideas are born, thinking evolves, technology grows. Best thing is to preserve what you love, strive to change what you can't stand, and adapt where necessary.

Of course Alaska has changed, but appreciate the place for the good stuff. Whinging is so boring.
What you say is true, however, Alaska is different from the -48, so change isn't always a good thing, though it is inevitable. If you lived here for some time you'd understand that no-one is whinging (I know you meant whining).

Old 05-07-2011, 03:34 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
As the urban areas grow and become like the lower 48, they'll become as harmful to the rural/bush residents as big cities in lower 48 states are. It isn't the rural areas creating the taxes and regulations that harm rural lifestyles (i.e., states like CO with their trapping bans, states like Vermont with burdensome building and land use regulations and high taxes, New York prohibiting youths from hunting and in general restricting firearms and imposing building codes from NYC that make no sense in the rural parts, etc.), it's the cities which control the states when the urban populations outnumber the rural residents.

Sometimes opposing change is necessary. If my own home state's residents had stood together against what was happening in the 60's and 70's, we wouldn't simply be a rich yuppies' playground with mcmansions blighting our hillsides and longtime residents being driven out of their homes, more and more land being off limits to hunting, and so on. If Alaskans like the freedom they have in rural/bush Alaska, they better start working to protect it now.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:41 PM

693 posts, read 1,607,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
What you say is true, however, Alaska is different from the -48, so change isn't always a good thing, though it is inevitable. If you lived here for some time you'd understand that no-one is whinging (I know you meant whining).
I'm not saying change is always a good thing...often it isn't, even in the -48. What I said was that it was inevitable...and whinging (yes, with a "g"...)...doesn't help. Everyone contributes to change, even crusty old homesteaders - I'm sure the folks in Alaska before them would agree. It's entirely unrealistic to expect things won't and shouldn't change, and at the same time to recognize your own contribution to that change. I guess the irony just amuses me is all.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by melbern

Of course Alaska has changed, but appreciate the place for the good stuff. Whinging is so boring

Sorry..not what I got from your post, but oh well...you don't live here, so you don't understand.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
How do you see it changing, Pat?

Wasilla has probably changed more than most over the past 30 years or so.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
How do you see it changing, Pat?

Wasilla has probably changed more than most over the past 30 years or so.
We have been here 11 years now. We spent our first year in an apt. in Anchorage. The 10 years we have been in Wasilla where we bought our home. What I have seen is an influx of people; crime; traffic; chain stores. Anchorage was the last frontier city; not any longer. I use to love going to Blondies. I can only speak for Anchorage, Wasilla and Palmer.

When we came here they were just building sears in Wasilla. It wasn't as crowded, and it has grown by leaps and bounds; the stores and restaurants we have now. I have to say it makes life more convenient. Some change is good, some not, but such is life. I quess if it gets too much there is the option of moving elsewhere in Alaska. There is a feeling of more freedom here then -48. I hope that doesn't change,

Old 05-07-2011, 05:35 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
As the urban areas grow and become like the lower 48, they'll become as harmful to the rural/bush residents as big cities in lower 48 states are. It isn't the rural areas creating the taxes and regulations that harm rural lifestyles (i.e., states like CO with their trapping bans, states like Vermont with burdensome building and land use regulations and high taxes, New York prohibiting youths from hunting and in general restricting firearms and imposing building codes from NYC that make no sense in the rural parts, etc.), it's the cities which control the states when the urban populations outnumber the rural residents.

Sometimes opposing change is necessary. If my own home state's residents had stood together against what was happening in the 60's and 70's, we wouldn't simply be a rich yuppies' playground with mcmansions blighting our hillsides and longtime residents being driven out of their homes, more and more land being off limits to hunting, and so on. If Alaskans like the freedom they have in rural/bush Alaska, they better start working to protect it now.
as long as there is an unorganized borough, those wanting bush life should be able to find a place that suits them.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
We have been here 11 years now. We spent our first year in an apt. in Anchorage. The 10 years we have been in Wasilla where we bought our home. What I have seen is an influx of people; crime; traffic; chain stores. Anchorage was the last frontier city; not any longer. I use to love going to Blondies. I can only speak for Anchorage, Wasilla and Palmer.

When we came here they were just building sears in Wasilla. It wasn't as crowded, and it has grown by leaps and bounds; the stores and restaurants we have now. I have to say it makes life more convenient. Some change is good, some not, but such is life. I quess if it gets too much there is the option of moving elsewhere in Alaska. There is a feeling of more freedom here then -48. I hope that doesn't change,
Yeah, I remember when Wasilla was pretty much like Willow is now.

One place that, at least in my opinion, that has changed a lot for the worse is Skagway. It's all just Faked Alaska now, kind of like seeing a dancing bear in the circus. Good town and good people, and the international flavor in the summer can be really cool. But when you see tourists trampling over private property, tripping over themselves and running people down to get to some shiny trinket in one of the jewelry stores, smiling proudly as their demon spawn hit the salmon spawning in the creek with sticks, and listen to that god awful "gold rush" music they play on Broadway...the old days look pretty damned good.

Here...we can live with the paved road though I'll miss the families and dogs walking/playing on it when the traffic becomes too much for them to be able to do so. My neighbor is happy about it because it'll decrease the dust, and she has a point.

Again, for the most part, I like this Alaska better, though I probably wouldn't say the same if I lived in Wasilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska