Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times

Advertisements

Holy crap Met. That thread is full of, well, idjits.

I live in black bear country, and I have run across them quite a few times. Twice, they were more than just passing bears; they were somewhat aggressive. I'm about 6'1", close to 300 lbs, and I just stand up as tall as I can and make a low, guttural rumbling, growling sound, alternated with yelling. I have never been attacked yet, and I have never squeezed off a round either. But I will say, I have zero experience with brown bears. Seems to me if I was going out in AK bear country I would want a .454 Casull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 03:32 PM

455 posts, read 743,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Being in my 80th yr I don't know if I will get back up to AK for another Brownie.........but if I do
Griz are you really 80? If so, good for you for holding your own here on these forums and putting up with us youngin's. Great to have your experience and wisdom around.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:43 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post

I'm about 6'1", close to 300 lbs,
Hmm? I'm 6'1" and weigh 170 pounds. I'm either underweight or you're overweight.

The most I've ever weighed was 190 pounds when I was on a beer and bar snacks diet. That lasted for about a year and then I ended that regimen and dropped back down to 170.

I'm in the process of trying to get down to my original weight which was 7 1/2 pounds.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Hmm? I'm 6'1" and weigh 170 pounds.
That's pretty skinny. Do you get cold in the winter?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
That's pretty skinny. Do you get cold in the winter?
I've been in a few bars where the thermostat was set too low which caused me to be a tad chilly. Nothing a few martini's couldn't remedy.

I was never a big eater. Some people live to eat, and then others like myself eat to live.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:33 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Holy crap Met. That thread is full of, well, idjits.

I live in black bear country, and I have run across them quite a few times. Twice, they were more than just passing bears; they were somewhat aggressive. I'm about 6'1", close to 300 lbs, and I just stand up as tall as I can and make a low, guttural rumbling, growling sound, alternated with yelling. I have never been attacked yet, and I have never squeezed off a round either. But I will say, I have zero experience with brown bears. Seems to me if I was going out in AK bear country I would want a .454 Casull.
Yep, it seems that the thread has turned into " the best bear gun."

Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
Griz are you really 80? If so, good for you for holding your own here on these forums and putting up with us youngin's. Great to have your experience and wisdom around.
.......Thanks for the compliment............. Yeah, I'm in my 80th year........hell, I started grade school in 1937 and was working my way through college in 1950...married in 1954 (and was married for 51 years--damn proud of that!).
Grew up from the age of (10) with a rifle or shotgun in one hand and a fishin' rod in the other.

And in case there may be some folks out there that think I'm "blowin' smoke" about my Brown Bear:..... Guide was Jim Bailey out of Talkeetna; Permit number 0661; Skull Tag No:AKGBR /9102620; Hunt number #227 out of 259 authorized for 1991 on Kodiak. Started stalk at 1pm; killed Bear at 5pm; started skinnin' at about 5:30pm--now total darkness; finished at about 9:30 pm; then started down the mountain---from 1340 feet elevation--- to sea level (Kizhuyak Bay)>>love that Devil's Club<<; arrived at skiff at 11pm totally exhausted--AND (Scared 'sh!#less' all the way down--praying we wouldn't stumble into another bear in the dark).

Used my own handloads: 300 gr Nosler (.375 H&H) on top of 84 gr of Norma 204; Federal 215 Mag Primer & W-W Brass...Chrono says 2651 FPS at the muzzle....Did that 4 hr stalk---in the snow on Nov 11th in my 60th year.....yeah, I'm damn proud of that too.......and that ain't braggin'-------thats bein' factual

Greatest thrill in my 70 yrs of hunting.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Hmm? I'm 6'1" and weigh 170 pounds. I'm either underweight or you're overweight.

The most I've ever weighed was 190 pounds when I was on a beer and bar snacks diet. That lasted for about a year and then I ended that regimen and dropped back down to 170.

I'm in the process of trying to get down to my original weight which was 7 1/2 pounds.
Maybe a little of both. According to the BMI you are 22.4, which is in the normal range. However, for someone who is 6'-1" a BMI of 24.9, which is also in the normal range, can weigh 189 pounds. However, I do not hold to the BMI. It is completely arbitrary and does not differentiate between fat and muscle. For example, I am 6'-7" and 260 pounds, which gives me a BMI of 29.3 which indicates that I am overweight. According to the BMI, I should weigh no more than 221 pounds to be in the "normal" range. However, I was gaunt at that weight, which I have not been since my Marine Corps days. I could probably stand to lose 10 to 20 pounds, but no more than that. Somewhere in the 240 to 250 pound range is a more ideal weight for me.

As far as black bears are concerned, they have never posed any problems for me. I have encountered quite a few in Montana, and only a handful or so in Alaska. In every case they were smaller than I, and definitely more afraid of me than I was of them. I do not consider black bears to be a threat to my safety.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:22 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
Default I'm with you Red :)

Quote:
I've been in a few bars where the thermostat was set too low which caused me to be a tad chilly. Nothing a few martini's couldn't remedy.

I was never a big eater. Some people live to eat, and then others like myself eat to live.
I've done the live to eat thing and felt terrible... now I feel "alive" again and eat to live... Oh of course... I have to make and eat the receipe that Met has for the Apple French Toast... every so often... YUMMMM...y... fall is coming in about 9 weeks here so apple season is upon us...

sorry got carried away... I promise never to troll again

Old 07-29-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Maybe a little of both. According to the BMI you are 22.4, which is in the normal range. However, for someone who is 6'-1" a BMI of 24.9, which is also in the normal range, can weigh 189 pounds. However, I do not hold to the BMI. It is completely arbitrary and does not differentiate between fat and muscle. For example, I am 6'-7" and 260 pounds, which gives me a BMI of 29.3 which indicates that I am overweight. According to the BMI, I should weigh no more than 221 pounds to be in the "normal" range. However, I was gaunt at that weight, which I have not been since my Marine Corps days. I could probably stand to lose 10 to 20 pounds, but no more than that. Somewhere in the 240 to 250 pound range is a more ideal weight for me.
When I graduated high school some 31 years ago I weighed 165 pounds. Except for a year or so my weight hasn't fluctuated more than 10 pounds. I believe each of us has a body weight that's comfortable and eventually we all settle into it.

I've always felt the best when I've been at the weight I'm at now. I realize I'm on the thin side, but that's where my body is the happiest.

You are one pretty big dude. Next time you go on one of your liberal rants I'll just nod my head in approval instead of firing back.

naturesdreams: if you get the chance you should go to The Elegant Farmer in Mukwonago, WI Welcome to The Elegant Farmer - A Wonderful Shopping Experience In the fall you can pick your own apples and they have some of the best apple pie you're ever going to taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska