Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 AM

51 posts, read 293,952 times

Advertisements

Alaskans, please give me the truth about Alaska. Most people in the lower 48 think Alaska is frozen solid 365 days a year, the sun never sets or it never rises, life is an existence in solitude....Let's hear some more accurate descriptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 10:13 AM

145 posts, read 570,678 times
I am not an Alaskan (yet) but last week I saw 12 pound cabbages and came back with a wicked sunburn. For me, it was a little too warm...t-shirt and shorts day and night. It was beautiful...and I imagine after the winter the heat is welcome.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDVague View Post
Alaskans, please give me the truth about Alaska. Most people in the lower 48 think Alaska is frozen solid 365 days a year, the sun never sets or it never rises, life is an existence in solitude....Let's hear some more accurate descriptions.
Well, it will be good to have someone living on the interior take a crack at these, but I'll give it a try.
Obviously, what you said is, for the most part, untrue. Up in Barrow the permafrost is quite close to the surface, and the sun doesn't rise in the winter/doesn't set in the summer, but other than that you're looking at primarily a boreal climate. Warm, often hot summers, and long, usually quite cold winters.
In SE, the climate is roughly comparable to a slightly cooler Seattle. Lots of rain, some snow in the winter, and... yeah lots of rain.
As far as the social scene, a life in solitude is actually more likely in a larger town. In smaller ones, everyone knows each other's business... you know how it goes. The truth is, most communities are quite tight knit, even the larger ones.

Hope this helps...

Old 08-13-2007, 11:51 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Quote:
Most people in the lower 48 think Alaska is frozen solid 365 days a year
False!

Quote:
the sun never sets or it never rises
True! North of the Brooks Range. And only for a couple months at a time. Otherwise it goes up and down just like anywhere else on the planet.

Quote:
life is an existence in solitude
Only if you want it that way. You have many options. City life, country/rural life, or remote/isolated life. It's all up to you!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:24 AM

51 posts, read 293,952 times
Default Thanks for the replies

I appreciate the response and information. My own research has proven to be informative as well, and I look forward to a visit someday soon.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:24 AM

310 posts, read 777,967 times
When people find out that we are moving to Homer in a couple of years, you can see the igloos and such dancing in their eyes.

The one thing I feel safe telling anybody from the lower 48 is no matter what you think it's like, it's not like that.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:04 PM

16 posts, read 103,416 times
I had the same response from people when I told them that my goal is to be living in Alaska by 2009 ......but hey if it keeps 'whimps and non-adventurous' people out - let them think that way!

Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
There are a ton of myths and legends about living up here, and most are just that, myths and legends mostly invented by peopel who have either never been here or have read too many magazines.
But I will tell you one fact....Alaska is still no place for a momma's boy or "valley girl". You need a fierce streak of independence in you to hang with the tough times, mostly involving weather.
During a white-out, or just a simple winter storm you are truly cut off from the rest of the world, in more ways than one.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:31 PM

16 posts, read 103,416 times
After living in ND and then MT I have been thru quite a few whiteouts - found them thrilling! So the thought of snow doesn't scare me. I am looking at buying land (2-4 acres and bnuilding home) in the Kenai/Soldotna area - can anyone tell me if they have a lot of flooding there. Snow I can handle - flooding doesn't thrill me!

Old 08-31-2007, 01:26 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Wink Myth-Busters

Quote:
Most people in the lower 48 think Alaska is frozen solid 365 days a year
Not true, just 364 days of the year.

Quote:
the sun never sets or it never rises
If you are above 67°N latitude, then for 3 months in the summer the sun never sets, and for 3 months in the winter the sun never rises.

Quote:
life is an existence in solitude
Only if you want it to be. I'm pretty sure the 250,000+ living in Anchorage don't consider themselves isolated. If they do, it is only isolation from the lower-48.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska