Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,976 times

Advertisements

Alaska State Troopers (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44079624/ns/local_news-anchorage_ak/ - broken link) say two motorcycles driven by tourists from the United Kingdom slid and crashed on the Dalton Highway Sunday, killing one of the drivers and injuring his wife.
Fairbanks troopers received a report at 12:21 p.m. of a crash at Mile 58 of the highway, where 60-year-old Robert Munn and his passenger, 63-year-old Anne Munn, were riding a 2005 BMW motorcycle as part of a tour group headed north. A 2008 BMW motorcycle driven by 53-year-old Gary Tait was following the Munns on the highway.
Officials say Munn had started to slow down on the roadway, which was muddy and wet, and Tait was preparing to pass him on a straight stretch when Munn pulled right and started to fishtail. Munn’s motorcycle then crashed and threw him off it, forcing Tait to take evasive action and lay his motorcycle down to avoid hitting him.
Robert Munn was pronounced dead at the scene by medical personnel, while Anne Munn received minor injuries and was taken to Fairbanks by the tour group. Tait slid into the ditch, receiving little to no injury.
Troopers are continuing to investigate the crash, but say alcohol was not a factor and that everyone involved wore helmets and protective clothing.

Ya gotta very extra careful in this state driving motorcycles - did you know ? 90% of all donor organs come from motorcycle accidents. Too bad going for a ride ends up in disaster - we have heard too much lately in the news about wrecks on the highways of Alaska.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:26 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
A few weeks ago, there was some big named politician from the States that crashed his motorcycle by Fairbanks, got pretty banked up, but survived.

There were a couple of other fatal motorcycle wrecks this weekend also in the state... Most of which were alcohol related.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
did you know ? 90% of all donor organs come from motorcycle accidents.
and 83% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Its very refreshing to see people admit when they are wrong!

A combination of organ donor and motorcycle; the term apparently originates from emergency room personnel who often see motorcycle accident victims. It alludes to the high percentage of donated organs that come from motorcyclists

Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Its very refreshing to see people admit when they are wrong!

A combination of organ donor and motorcycle; the term apparently originates from emergency room personnel who often see motorcycle accident victims. It alludes to the high percentage of donated organs that come from motorcyclists
As persuasive as that random quote is, in 2008 5,312 people died in motorcycle crashes in the US, while there were 14,630 organ donors. Even if every motorcyclist death donated, it wouldn't be anywhere near 90%.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:39 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

"There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies and statistics."

One of my favorite Mark Twain quotes!

I used to work in emergency medicine, and it is true that motorcycle crash victims provide a large percentage of organ donations because they are usually young and in good health. But I don't believe it is as high as 90%.

A popular sign in emergency rooms is "Buy your son a motorycycle for his last birthday."

Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
We call them donorcycles here, for that reason. I, too, doubt that 90% of organ donations come from Motorcycle crashes.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
We call them donorcycles here, for that reason. I, too, doubt that 90% of organ donations come from Motorcycle crashes.
I've heard that same figure quoted many times over many decades

I guess they were all wrong !!

Whatever the actual percentage is.. It is too damn high!!

As one source quoted by wiki - (ha) a very high percentage.

Have you noticed or am I the only one who has picked up on this.

When someone mentions something, on almost any forum for discussion.

More times than not - people will focus entirely on one small aspect to distract from the WHOLE POINT being made.

So I guess it is my fault (again) I am wrong!!

Thank you all for the lesson!!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:58 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
It is a fact that when states have enacted mandatory helmet laws organ donations have gone down.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
It is a fact that when states have enacted mandatory helmet laws organ donations have gone down.
My first husband and his brother-in-law were killed years ago by an AWOL idiot who was being chased by the police. The idiot was in a car, they were on a motorcycle. A helmet would never have saved them; one had his leg amputated when the car hit, and they were both thrown 60 feet by the impact. 'Sometimes' a helmet helps and it's all in the luck of the draw, and sometimes it just doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska