Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:14 AM

200 posts, read 287,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
The steepest place on the Alcan is just outside of Fort Nelson near the old Steamboat Lodge, I forgot what the grade was but it's doable.

The Alcan Highway is a Road Trip You'll Remember!
This is the area my husband and I are most concerned about with pulling the cargo trailer. We will be pulling the trailer with a 3/4 ton pick-up equipped with trailer brake controls. I am guessing slow and steady will be the best option when going through the mountain passes. Whew! This is going to be a BIG adventure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
You shouldn't need the block heater and winterization package in October. Even if it's cold and snowing, it's not COLD yet... you usually have until Thanksgiving before you have to worry about it being that cold. However, getting your vehicle winterized that late once you get here may be a hassle and very expensive since a lot of folk put if off until the very last minute.

Studded tires aren't required, but you may want chains just in case you hit early snow in the passes. Always bring extra gas, one tank for each vehicle should be plenty. You might not need it, but you never know when/if you'll get stuck somewhere, delayed, or encounter a station that's unexpectedly closed. If you don't need it for the trip, well, you'll still use it and it's 5 gallons that you probably paid a lot less for in the L48.

According to Milepost:

Quote:
The highest summit on the Alaska Highway is Summit Pass, elev. 4,250 feet, at Milepost DC 373.6 (Historic Milepost 392) near Summit Lake, British Columbia. The second highest pass on the Alaska Highway—and the highest point on the Alaska Highway between Whitehorse and Fairbanks—is Bear Creek Summit, elev. 3,294 feet/1,004m, at Milepost DC 1000.1 in Yukon Territory.
The 30 miles between Summit Lake and Toad River are nerve-wrackingly steep if it's icy and foggy... lots of switch backs at the bottom of inclines and plenty of blind curves. Try to hit that part around mid-day when it's warmest and (hopefully) sunny if at all possible. Always remember... if you suddenly see the TOP of a tree through the fog, STOP!!... the road isn't going that direction anymore! (I'm totally serious - this actually happened to DH!)

It's a little steep/windy between Continental Divide Lodge and Teslin, but not too bad. Haines Junction through Destruction Bay (including Bear Summit) is a lot of up and down, back and forth... but definitely not as white-knuckle freaky as Summit Lake-Toad River IMO.

There are a few places (like Muncho Lake) where the road is a bit narrow for a UHaul, but you're usually fine as long as there isn't a semi or RV coming in the other direction. Otherwise, hug the shoulder and pray

Old 08-29-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
You shouldn't need the block heater and winterization package in October. Even if it's cold and snowing, it's not COLD yet... you usually have until Thanksgiving before you have to worry about it being that cold. However, getting your vehicle winterized that late once you get here may be a hassle and very expensive since a lot of folk put if off until the very last minute.

Studded tires aren't required, but you may want chains just in case you hit early snow in the passes. Always bring extra gas, one tank for each vehicle should be plenty. You might not need it, but you never know when/if you'll get stuck somewhere, delayed, or encounter a station that's unexpectedly closed. If you don't need it for the trip, well, you'll still use it and it's 5 gallons that you probably paid a lot less for in the L48.

According to Milepost:

The 30 miles between Summit Lake and Toad River are nerve-wrackingly steep if it's icy and foggy... lots of switch backs at the bottom of inclines and plenty of blind curves. Try to hit that part around mid-day when it's warmest and (hopefully) sunny if at all possible. Always remember... if you suddenly see the TOP of a tree through the fog, STOP!!... the road isn't going that direction anymore! (I'm totally serious - this actually happened to DH!)

It's a little steep/windy between Continental Divide Lodge and Teslin, but not too bad. Haines Junction through Destruction Bay (including Bear Summit) is a lot of up and down, back and forth... but definitely not as white-knuckle freaky as Summit Lake-Toad River IMO.

There are a few places (like Muncho Lake) where the road is a bit narrow for a UHaul, but you're usually fine as long as there isn't a semi or RV coming in the other direction. Otherwise, hug the shoulder and pray
Wow! This sounds a bit scary! I want to make it to Alaska in one piece and keep all vehicles between the ditches. For those of you who have driven the Alcan before, have any of you done so pulling a cargo trailer in early winter? We will be traveling mid-October. I don't want to be so anxious to get to Alaska that we do something foolish. Thanks for any input

Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Here is my .02.

Roads are rougher you will want to go slower. Pull outs are rare. Snow/Ice wait until the road is clear and traveled then head out onto it. The key is to not take chances as the trail is more unforgiving on the road. On the road down in January it was -64 in Destruction Bay (yup Talbot) so count your blessings.

Be careful but don't doddle.

Carry extra cash for unexpected repairs, food, warmth and clothes and most of all have FUN. It is a beautiful drive.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
I drove a (very mechanically unsound) 17' UHaul towing a car hauler the last week in September. It wasn't bad in most places. Only a few patches of ice and fog at the higher elevations. Go slow on the slick inclines and curves, engine braking if necessary, and you should be fine. Avoid pedal braking, especially hard braking, on steep downhills and coming into curves. Those are really the only places where you're likely to have problems with the trailer if it's icy. If you do pull off anywhere in the snow (which shouldn't be deep yet) just make sure you have a level or downhill put out... you don't want to try backing a trailer in snow uphill if you can avoid it.

You'll be fine in mid-October, just take frequent breaks, fill up every two hours/100 miles (which is about half a tank) and plan to go a little slower than usual. The AlCan is pretty decent highway, well maintained even in more remote areas, and well traveled enough that you shouldn't have to wait long for someone to come by and stop if something does happen. Don't race up here pulling 18 hour days at 75 mph; take your time, we'll still be here when you get here

Mid-November, now then I might be a little concerned for anyone not familiar and comfortable with long distance, winter, and/or mountain driving

Old 08-29-2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the tips y'all! We are going to take our time on the drive up. I want to actually enjoy driving cross country. How exciting

Hey AADAD, how am I supposed to ever meet you in person if you are down in San Diego? Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 AM

89 posts, read 340,083 times
Been some good advice posted but I found bags of pea gravel to be better than sand! Home Depot and Lowe's carry it! Maybe carry tire chains,cable type or link!
I towed a 30' 5th wheel up and down in snow conditions but had a 3/4 ton 4x4 and I did carry chains and 5 gal extra fuel! People do it all the time,just take it easy on the hills! If I could sell my house in Florida,I might come with you

Old 08-29-2011, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the reply lazyboy! We will be pulling the cargo trailer with a 3/4 ton 4x4 pick-up truck. You can't even tell the trailer is back there on flat ground, but I am sure all 8 cylinders will be digging to get up the inclines in the mountains.

Sell that house and let's go! You are welcome to tag along with our 3 truck caravan

Old 08-29-2011, 12:14 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Born and raised in Alaska, moved to Florida last year. Don;t let the screen name fool you.

Studded tires are not required, but if I were you, I would get them put on once you can, legally. Studded tires do make a difference, especially when stopping. When living in AK I went years without studs, once I got them I never looked back.

If you end up deciding to go the studless route, do yourself a favor. Get a set of real good winter tires such as Blizzaks or any type of studless winter tire. All season tires are not the same.

If you cannot afford the studded tires for all of your vehicles, make sure you chains handy.

Been on the Alcan twice. First time was in October, ran into a little bit of snow, but wasn't bad. Second time was last summer. The Cassiar Hhwy is much scarier than the other. Bring extra gas. In October many of the stations close early, if they're open at all.

Good Luck!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:26 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
There is no need to mention the Cassiar on this thread, they are coming from Tennessee, this means the eastern route up the highway. You can cross into Canada in Saskatchewan south of Regina or drive into Montana and cross at Sweetgrass. Saskatchewan is pretty flat as is Alberta. If you can, avoid going through Edmonton in the day time, there's a million plus people living there and it has crazy traffic.

Plenty of year round lodges in BC for fuel. No need to carry extra gas, just keep topping off at a half talk and you'll be fine. I had some Toyo all season tires that worked well when I drove down and back a few winters ago. I now run Nokian All Season tires, they work very good on ice/snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska